Tosh rdxs32 Problem with time clock - help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by m8tte, Dec 1, 2004.

1. m8tte

m8tte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :thumbsup: its brilliant cannot fault it except - recently the clock keeps gaining time and going out of sinc when doing a timer recording so they are wrong and i have to reset the time..... can sometimes head 40 mins ahead - only notice once it starts recording :mad:

Anyone shed light on this?

Clock was set to auto uppdate and i have now turned this off - will that fix it or is it a problem??

Many thanks!!

and :beer:

2. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which channel have you set it to auto-update from?

3. m8tte

m8tte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know! :confused:

Is this the 'clock set position'? if so its '1'

4. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, it is and that corresponds to whatever TV channel you have in that position. I assume it's BBC 1 analogue? If it is try another channel, if there's nothing there then that explains why the clock drifts (although 40 minutes does seem a bit extreme!).

5. m8tte

m8tte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent yes it would be bbc1 analogue!

I'll try another channel and will feedback if that works or not!

Only other thing i can think of is I've have a new lcd tv in the kitchen and currently using a set top aerial till i fit/connect cable up to the loft.... I wonder if that has interfered with the signal hmmm Probably not related at all!

Thanks very much for your help!

:smashin:

6. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not entirely sure here, but I think it takes the time from the teletext. With a set top aerial this will be one of the first things lost if the received signal is poor. If your TV has teletext, take a look to see which channel has the most legible teletext pages and choose that for the time auto-update channel. If all are poor, then you'll probably just have to wait until you get your new aerial.

If the time is not taken from the teletext then you still want to pick the channel with the best reception and looking at the channel's teletext is as good as any other simple test for checking channel reception quality.

7. m8tte

m8tte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Oops i may of confused this - its a seperate lcd in the kitchen with a set top aerial - dvd recoder is in living room with 36 inch tosh!

I will change the channel and see how that gets on!

May be the weather or signal problem in my area with channel 1! so loosing the correct time!

Cheers again

Off now to have a play! :)

8. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does it let you automatically set your time in the setup menue.

I found that I had to fine tune my bbc1 channel for it to work, once it was everything was ok.

9. m8tte

m8tte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the set up menu you can set the time to automatically update - which it was set too and worked fine for the last 2 months including the change to winter time!

Picture is fine on tv or through dvd recorder and teletext fine as well on tv

But in the last week time has gone 40 mins fast and another once slightly less than this and only noticed when it has been doing a timer record - ie it stops when it shouldn't and then noticed the time to be incorrect - so have then reset the time - the time seemed to be fine untill it starts to do the recording

I have set the time not to automatically update at the moment to see if it keeps correct

I will then set it to auto again in a few days and see if it goes speeding ahead perhaps using channel 3 instead!

Willl let you know how it goes!

Thanks all

10. m8tte

m8tte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well its happened again

All settings for manual clock and it keeps jumping 40 mins ahead!

When its set to do a timer record - notice as it start recording early!

Does only seem to be when on timer record

Very annoying!

Also it was sick two days ago - in standby ie off - the remote was by the side of it - and the disk tray just came out :hiya: ? how strange!

Should I have a word with the shop I bought it from or toshiba direct?

Anyone else had this at all! :rolleyes:

(Other than that its a wicked piece of kit!!!)

11. m8tte

m8tte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well clock keeps on loosing half an hour or an hour - or today 2 hours!!

Spoke to Toshiba today and they say it is a known problem with some transmitters and the local one at Sutton Coldfield causes this!!

The solution is to set 'auto update' off and 'just clock' off and then set the channel to '99'

Just done this so fingers crossed :smashin:

Hope if anyone else has this it helps!

Ps still very very happy with the recorder - its brilliant! :D :thumbsup:

12. m8tte

m8tte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far so good not changed since I did the setting Toshiba said!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

13. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mmm...it annoys me when companies don't shoulder the blame for one of their own faults. I'm off Sutton Coldfield and have the auto-clock adjustment on and set to BBC1 and have absolutely no problems whatsoever, so it can't be that that is at fault. The instructions they have given you are obviously to set the clock once and leave it free-running. It will probably eventually drift away from the correct time and need adjusting by yourself. I suppose this is better than what you had in the first, but it's not the real solution and you have been forced to disable a feature that is meant to be part of the specs of the product. I hope that my Tosh doesn't start exhibitting this fault in a few months' time.

14. Bobbly

Bobbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I too am suffering from this. I own a Toshiba RDXS32 which I bought in February- love it, except that for the last week, the clock has been jumping forward in time- totally screwing up timer recordings. I have just seen this thread, so have not tried the solution suggested above (many, many thanks in advance!), but I thought I would chime in as my Tosh has this problem in Manual Clock mode. The Auto Mode has never worked, which I put down to signal strength (though thinking about it, it my old Philips VCR which this machine replaced never had a problem picking up the time from the Beeb).

I will let you know if the fix works.
    ps This is my first post- but I have found the advice of others in these forums very useful over the last year- so thank you to all who have shared their experiences!

15. Bobbly

Bobbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just reporting in after trying the fix mentioned above. I've made a few timer recordings over the weekend and (touch wood) all is well and the clock remains accurate. Thanks again. :thumbsup: