Tosh RDXS32 Multiregion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dre, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to purchase this afetr the numerous reviews andf the latest price drop, however most places I've seen it for says it's multiregion but without RCE...

So the question is what MR mod do you have and does it playback RCE (do I really need it?) and if I do can I get it retro fitted?

Thx

2. robbie b

robbie b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a multi region from RGB in October which played RCE discs no problem - this machine developed a fault and was exchanged for another. The new machine will not play RCE discs. I complained to RGB but they couldn't explain why one unit played RCE & the other wouldn't. Apparently they use another company who 'chip' the machines for them. I only own 1 RCE disc so I gave up arguing in the end.

Rob

3. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't own any RCE discs, but when I purchased it from RGB in December they said it would definately play RCE discs but wouldn't gaurantee it would play them all.

4. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So the question beckons...do I need a RCE enabled DVDR? are the amjority of titles non-rce encoded and will this change in the future?

5. robbie b

robbie b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only Columbia-Tristar (sony) make some of their R1 discs RCE (there are lists on the web detailing which ones).

The majority of R1 discs are not RCE encoded and will work on a MR XS32.

6. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I bought a non multi region box does anyone know where I could get it updated? I've had a look on the web but non of the sites support this model.

7. Colin Hamilton

Colin Hamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I've got no answers I'm afraid - only another question!

I bought a Toshiba RDXS32 Multi Region a few weeks ago but found the picture 'glitched' every so often at random intervals. Kind of like really bad layer changes dotted around the discs. so I sent it back and got a new one this week - and now I'm having the same problem with the new machine!

Much as I'd like to think I'm not being an idiot here, it would seem incredible that two machines are playing up like this - so can anyone help?

I've never encountered this with my old Toshiba 220 player which has given me a couple of years of 'glitch' free playback, and all the pre-recorded disks I've tried are scratch free and play fine elsewhere. Also, I didn't encounter the problem with material I had recorded onto the hard drive (not that I've recorded/played back all that much), so I don't think it's my scart connection, but could that be responsible for these symptoms?

In every other respect it does seem to be a great machine though, so I'd hate not to get it working properly! I'd just like to know if anyone out there has encountered any similar problems and how they overcame them!

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Colin (first post by the way... :) )

8. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this is the same: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189682

Greame

9. robbie b

robbie b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Colin,

It sounds like you've been unlucky and received a second faulty unit.

My first unit was the same and a few other people on these forums have reported the same problems - it only does it on original dvd's. :thumbsdow

Rob

10. Colin Hamilton

Colin Hamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Graeme - that Digital Spy post by Greenapple chimes exactly with what I've experienced. Thanks for reassuring me that I'm not a complete imbecile and that this problem really is out there. Now I have to send another machine back though. :(

Cheers for the help!

11. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem, I am still waiting for RGB to send out my replacement for this problem, unfortunatly they have been very poor in getting the replacement sorted quickly. They said it is because they are busy but what do I care about that. hopefully I will get a replacement next wednesday.
    The funny thing is in all my research on this player I never saw this problem.

Greame