Tosh: RD-XS32 Recording onto HDD then copying to DVD Disc?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by L00py^, Jan 16, 2005.

1. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What is the best way to achieve the maximum playback quality onto the DVD disc.

Basically I want to record a film, onto the HDD unit, then after removing the adverts etc, copy from the HDD onto a DVD disc.

Can you please state which record mode I should be using for both the HDD and DVD disc. I would be using either -R or -RW discs.

Also how will this effect the record mode if I say want to record a 90 minute or 150 minute film.

Thanks.

2. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best way to get your 'maximum playback quality' would be to do a high-bitrate recording to HDD and then a rate-conversion dub to dvd afterwards.

However, you can go by bitrate presets as well....

A bitrate of 6.0 (with D/M1 audio setting) would be a good place to start, as this'll make a 90 min film fit onto a blank dvd just perfectly.
    3.6 is the XS32s setting for 150 minutes, and although the vertical resolution has been halved by this point, it's still quite an acceptable image (speaking from personal experience).

Is this what you needed to know - or have i missed the point completely?
    To be honest, all the info i've just given is in the manual (somewhere :))

3. bankroot

bankroot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The best way to get your 'maximum playback quality' would be to do a high-bitrate recording to HDD and then a rate-conversion dub to dvd afterwards.

:eek: this is quite different opinion I was given from Rasczak several posts below!

I understood that every re-encoding is much worser than recording and dubbing in the same mode

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'm not sure about "much worse", but doing an extra encoding step can only hurt the quality.

So for example, if you know the length of the program is say 2 hours, it will be better to record it at a rate that fits (e.g 4.6) and do a high speed dub, rather than record to HDD at high rate and then rate convert to 4.6.

If I am just planning to "watch and wipe" from the HDD, I use a high rate for best quality. If I know I'm going to want to archive it to DVD, I use an appropriate rate for the length so I can high speed dub.

Only in the case where I've recorded something I planned to "watch and wipe" and later decide I want to archive do I do rate conversion. Or, if it is something where the length is really unknown.

Mark

5. bankroot

bankroot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what a shame :blush: (sorry for "worser"), English is not my favourite language as you can see :suicide:

back to the subject

" Recording onto the HDD in FINE and re-encoding to DVD-R to fit the disc will look slightly better than SP > DVD-R. However both will look significantly worse than calculating the end running time of the disc (i.e. 3 x 45mins) and using the nearest recording mode followed by high speed dub."

significantly worse

I can understand of course different opinions on the same subject, but it demonstrate the problem is not so easy

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Bankroot,

I didn't even notice the "worser"!

I was agreeing with Rasczak's view that it is best not to re-encode. As for is the difference significant or not, it depends - on what your expectations are, and how critical your eye is. You could try it both ways and compare, and see if you can notice the difference. If you can't tell (or if the difference is minor enough that you don't mind), then use the method you find easier.

I suppose this could also be impacted by how good your estimate was of the final running time. If you re-encode your edited version, you know exactly how long it is so you can encode to fill the disk. If you are selecting the target rate at the start, you need to estimate the final product, and add some buffer, so you may need a slightly lower rate.

Mark

7. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So the fives pre-set modes are:-

Approx. 4.7GB Playtime
    1. Manual 6.6 L-PCM 71 mins
    2. SP 4.6 D/M1 122 mins
    3. LP 2.2 D/M1 241 mins
    4. Manual 6.0 D/M2 91 mins
    5. Manual 3.2 D/M1 171 mins

So if I am recording a film less than 91 minutes I use mode 4. Less than 122 minutes I use mode 2.

What about say a 150 minute film please? Should I change say manual 3.2 to say 4.0 to record say an film approx. 150 minutes long?

Also whats the difference between D/M1 and D/M2, I will be recording using normal sky(not sky+), should I use D/M1 or D/M2 then please?

I need Mr Rasczak's to the rescue :rolleyes:

8. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mine always set to D/M1, this is something to do with bi-lingal sound

You can change any of the settings to one you use most frequently.

Go to setting 5 make sure it says manual the go to the next col and change the value and the estimate DVD time should change at the bottom of the screen. Rate 4.0 should give full resolution and about 2hr 20mins.

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    For the video bit rate, you can change the rate on any of the manual settings. Use the table in the manual to determine the bit rate to use. For example, if the ideal bitrate is 5.8, then simply set one of the manual ones to 5.8.

D/M1 and D/M2 isn't to do with bi-lingual sound - it is a quality/bitrate setting for audio. D/M2 takes up twice the space of D/M1 sound (but still far less than LPCM). The manual recommends D/M2 for music, D/M1 for everything else.

Note this is different than the Mode I and Mode II for compatibility settings; these are to do with multiple languages.

Mark

10. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agh! I got the buggly eyes from L00py.... sorry if i confused matters further :)

I did say that you can use manual bitrates too (indeed, this is my preferred method) although rate-converting from a high bitrate recording CAN give satisfactory results (as long as the bitrate of the original recording is sufficiently high).

Can I stop feeling guilty now please :)

11. Zasu Pitts

Zasu Pitts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone copied to HDD and then burned to disc without having the picture freeze and getting T-Menu display. I divide into chapters and they even say Chap 1, Chap. 2 etc. When I drop them down to create a DVD-R thay become titles. Help! Zasu

12. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be creating a playlist from the titles.

Go to the Content menu and select the title with the chapters you have.
    Press Edit Menu and seltect create playlist.

Then if you press I think the bluely/green button, since the title you want it highlighted the chapters of that title will appear.

You then select the chapters that you want for a new title.

When you have finished you have a Playlist of the bits from that title you want ie no commercials etc.

When you burn to DVD-R everything you put on the list becomes a title, even a single chapter. Hence creating a playlist of the bits you want.