1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh RD-XS32: Checking Recording Rates

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by L00py^, Jan 28, 2005.

1. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If I record say a film last week, how can I check at what rate I used. If I press the display button twice, just get a blank on recording quality. ie I wanna use the same rate to record onto DVD?

Also if I record on hard disk using LP 2.2. I then first recorded from hard disk to DVD at SP 4.4 by mistake. I then deleted this programme on the DVD and record onto the DVD at LP 2.2. I noticed the amount of space left on the DVD had gone down. So does this mean in the first instance it had recorded in SP 4.4 mode? How can you go back up in rate on copying?

2. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From either the content menu or while playing, choose Title Information from the Quick Menu and it will tell you the bit rate used.

3. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Handy tip if yr unsure what bitrate yr using to record with - pressing the 'FL SELECT' button on the remote will eventually bring up an indication of bitrate on the LCD display.
    Im using it alot at the moment to make sure i don't balls things up when it comes time to archive....

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also If you use hi speed dubbing the rate always remains the same

5. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your replies, yeap I assumed if you used high speed dubbing the rate would remain the same, so was surprised to see the two differences in remaining DVD space.

So when you high speed dub, what should I have my DVD recording setting at, the section where you can pick five different settings. Also whats "-----" mean, it has no setting stored at all?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    What type of DVDR were you recording onto? With DVD-R whilst you can delete titles you do not get the space back. Likewise with DVD-RW (until you format).

7. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It was DVD-RW, so if I record a title onto a RW type disc, then delete it, I need first to re-format the disc again before I will have a blank 4.7gb disc?

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Yes - that is correct. Effectively DVD-RW operation is just like DVD-R - you fill it up and then finalise it. The only difference is you can format and start again.

For your information DVD-RAM operation is somewhat different - that will allow you to delete a recording and recover the disc space- as it uses VR mode (same as the HDD).

9. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Only when the last item is deleted on a DVD-RW Video mode disc is the space given back (this is so it remains compatible with DVD Players). If you had items recorded after the one in question you deleted, the space will not get given back.

Space is totalled up from the end, so if you had 20 minute, then 10, then 30 minute recording and deleted the middle 10 minutes, your freespace doesn't increase, however when you delete the 30 minute title, you would then get back the 30 minutes, and then the 10 minutes.

Don't forget you can also unfinalise DVD-RW Video mode discs, this can be handy when you want to add more to the disc later.

None of the above is possible with DVD-R as that is write-once, so no space can be recovered and once finalised, it is final :)

Regards

Philip

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Go on then Philip - describe how this is done on the Toshiba RDXS32 :laugh:

11. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    HI

I have no idea off the top of my head so I suggest the original poster has a play about, it's half the fun of these things isn't it, having a play?

Regards

Philip

12. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had two 10 minute programmes on the disc and was un-sure if any wasted space so I formatted the disc. Recorded the first programme onto the disc and got some message. Now its says disc is write protected, I cant copy any more stuff onto it, or even format it again?

Any advice plz?

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Format and try again :) If it still doesn't work we'll take it from there - can you tell us what the error message was?

14. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Sounds like a media problem? What is the media brand?

Write protected messages often mean the recorder has experienced too many errors writing and so decides it is safer not to do anything more with the disc. Check the disc for dust, fingerprints etc. If possible try another disc before deciding it is a problem with the hardware.

If the recorder is refusing to format the disc again then there little you can do unless you have a PC Writer or other hardware you could try erasing it on. Just assume the recorder knows best and the disc is bad, and try another.

Regards

Philip

15. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeap other discs work fine. All disc are TDK 1-2 DVD-RW ones.

When I try and format, it goes to 100%, the just get a message saying " This DVD cannot be formated"

If I press content, get a message saying " This operation cannot be performed with pre-recorded content"

I do have a PC with a cd-burner could I use that to try and format the disc?

16. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

It would be worth doing a full erase on your computer and then trying again. It could be bad sector very early on in the disc, unfortunately with DVD Video the recorder can't use any defect management to repair that damage, as doing so would render the disc incompatible.

If you find a full erase still doesn't give you a working disc, pop it in an envelope back to TDK with a covering note explaining your problem and they will replace it, if you are lucky they may supply a little bonus in the way of a few more discs!

Regards

Philip

17. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do I need to use any special software when erasing on my computer then plz?

18. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

You can use any type of DVD burning software, just find the erase option, and go for the Full Erase, it should take around 30 minutes on a 2 speed DVD-RW.

I wouldn't be surprised from your description of the problem for the same thing to happen again when you try and initialise the disc in the recorder, but it is worth a try.

Best of luck.

Regards

Philip

19. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Doh my DVD drive is read only. I try and get some TDK freebies then :p