1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tosh plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jmack, Jul 25, 2002.

1. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what are the 2 white barrell looking things that come with the plasma ?ajb or joe the are clip looking things abour 1inch long

2. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

They are ferrite rings used to supress interference. I think they are intended to wrap round a phono or other cable to stop interference. If you are using decent cables, there is no need to use them, as the cable will already be insulated once, twice or more.

Hope this helps
    Andrew

PS I didn't think I was good enough to be elevated into the legendary status of Mr Fernand!

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    AJB

But just think you've got your sexy system to play with - no make that two systems - me I have to make do with my two channel Linn system in me home office; our two year old Tweenies mad trainee technician means any thoughts on a good HC system are on hold for the moment; I must be the only legend (HaHa) who has owned plasma display for over five years now and still makes do with a miniature telly at home. (Panasonic LCD at the minute).

jmack

Clamp the ferrite rings around the plasma mains cable - generally one as close to the 13 amp plug top as is feasible. Most often the ferrite beads will have little or no affect on a system but sometimes if the mains in your house is a bit noisy then can help to iron out picture and audible hum. (Mostly we end up not requiring them on installs and there is a big pile of them lying in a box somewhere down at the office).

I'm hoping one of the more technically minded boys will jump in here and give us a bit of the ferrite core science.

Best regards

Joe

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any chance ajb you could post your settings on here
    like contrast,brighness,gamma ,
    and all the other stuff
    please
    how do you adjust your screen size on sky,ntl uf its using the vga lead mine only gives me the chose 16.9 4.3 or zoom
    cheers for any advice

5. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Haven't had a chance yet to use the AVIA disk to calibrate the screen. Its looking pretty damn good as it is! When I do, I'll be sure to help you out.

As far as watching Sky goes, I don't really watch a lot of anything other than live sport and BBC, ITV, C4. Nearly all of that is 16:9 so there's no probs- just put it in 16:9 mode. For 4:3 stuff I watch it stretched to 16:9 and try to avoid black bars.

How have you got yours set up? Here's the world exclusive first pic of mine in place (full shots to come on my website in next week or so) :

[​IMG]

Regards
    Andrew