1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh Picture

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by herts21, Jun 9, 2003.

1. herts21

herts21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought a new Tosh 32ZD26Q... I'm very happy with it and can't wait to hook it up with all the other kit I am currently waiting on from QED.
    I do have one query though... whilst watching the Eng v NZ rugby match this morning on sky sports I couldn't find a picture setting that captured the whole screen. I wouldn't have known apart from the score board where I could only see the score for one team.. the rest was not visible and it didn't matter what picture model I chose.
    Is this purely a broadcasting issue or is there something wrong with my set. I'm sure I have watched sport on other broadcasters and not had the same prob.

I hope someone can help

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi allan,

What you describe is common to all widescreen sets. It arises because the programme was being broadcast in a 4:3 ratio, and the tv was set to a mode that is designed to manipulate the shape of a 4:3 broadcast to fit a 16:9 screen and simulate the look of a widescreen transmission.

The way that the tv does this is to slightly zoom the 4:3 picture, and then stretch the sides of the picture to fill the rest of the screen. This results in the effect you describe of noticing that the top of the picture is missing, especially on sports when typically a scoreboard or channel logo is situated at the top of the picture.

If you watch Sky through a minidish/digibox system, make sure that the setup menu for the digibox has been configured for a 16:9 tv, along with scart control set to "ON" and the video output set to "RGB", as a large amount of programmes on BBC, ITV and Channel 4 are in anamorphic widescreen, and these settings will allow to take full advantage of the new tv, as well as ensuring that using the tv's zoom modes are kept to a minimum.

Regards,

Bob.

3. herts21

herts21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Bob... I'll go check out my digibox menu