1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh Pic Frame 1 / 2 what is the difference?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Captain chaos, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me what the difference (improvements) the Tosh Picture Frame 2 have over the original Picture Frame models?

Thanks.

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't owned either tv, so I'm sure that there will be much more informed posts that this one to follow, but the basic differences are:-

*PF2 offers progressive component inputs as opposed to the PF1 which only offered interlaced component inputs. With the right source connected, this option allows for a big step up in performance.

*PF2 has an inbuilt line doubler to give the option of progressive scan on all sources, although internal line doublers rarely rival the performance of an external line doubler or progressive scan dvd player. PF1 has no line doubler and only offers 100hz processing.

*PF1 was notorious for design faults (or "features" as Toshiba prefered to call them) the main one being that the sides of the picture were lighter than the middle, especially noticeable during dark scenes in films. The early signs are that the PF2 doesn't suffer from this problem, although there are reports that it is prone to green trails on moving objects. Whether this varies from sample to sample, ie. one set has it and another doesn't, or it's present on all sets, I don't know.

The PF2 also offers a colour temperature adjustment, which the PF1 didn't.

Hope this helps,

Bob.

3. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sure the Pic frame 1 offered NTSC Progressive, not PAL prog though.

Ive heard that the Pic Frame 2 does both PAL and NTSC Progressive.

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    No progressive at all on pf1. I think you are confusing it with the Strata model which does do NTSC progressive.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    For all its faults I think my PF1 looks much better than the PF2, with its black screen surround.

Should also be available a lot cheaper than the PF2

6. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Cheaper cos its 2 years old.
    Stying of the pf1 is better but i personally think it looks very plasticky. pf2 is more solid looking.
    faults..faults don't get me started on faults. Anyone who spends over a grand on a tv should not be expected to put up with the faults on recent Toshiba units. The pf1 has more than most and pretty much all have been fixed on the pf2. The green trails are still there though, and personally that it not acceptable.
    pf2 has a newer tube and more features. As they say, you pays your money.....