1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tosh pf2

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by normski, May 3, 2003.

1. normski

normski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to let you all know,i recieved my pf2 on wednesday morning
    which i ordered from robertsons and delivered by toshiba,
    while the first downer was the telly was damaged at the rear the back case was cracked all the way round and was just being held on by the screws. The said i may as well use this one and they would get a replacement ordered straight away.

1. the tv has a green patch down the right hand side this, was very noticeable while the tv was being tuned in, and does show up on normal viewing.

2.The geometry and convergence are pretty good, and the tube may be a sony, because the sony tubes have a kind of bow in them this is purely a thought from owning a sony tv previously .

3.First immpressions of the pic quality are very good especially dvd, and it would appear that tosh have improved the tube, as the previous faults like the 2 bands on the left and right are not present, and the lighter sides issue and darker in the middle fault again are not evident.

so at the moment this would appear to be a good set, and i hope when they deliver the replacement it is just as good, and if it turns up with dodgy geometry that will not be acceptable. And if it comes to the crunch they will just have to exchange the back panel with the cracked one.
    I would expect a few more of you will be getting yours sets soon and make your coments on this pf2.
    :clap: :clap:

2. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks normski

Still awaiting a delivery date on mine (also bought from Robertsons - by the way they refunded me the drop of £25 in price which is neat.)

I have viewed these in stores - with various sources and at different quality levels. Very impressed.

I agree with the shadow issues. I looked really close but couldn't see them. Apparently in the letters section of What Video, John Archer states they have addressed this issue on PF2. I've also been told (via a contact who knows a Toshiba rep) that they've changed the picture tube from PF1.

Can'y wait now. The new Ixos component leads arrived this morning. Thor Scarts should be here Tuesday.

Just need the telly.

:cool:

3. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Rojo When did you order yours?

4. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whay, just got mine delivered today.
    Strange there was not any tape holding the lid of the box on, and the box that the stand came in had all the cardboard ripped.
    I had a qiuck check and everything seemed alright with the t.v. and the stand.
    Just to verify normskis words, Setup:
    Theres no green patch
    Geometry and convergence are spot on.
    The blackness on the sides and centre is fixed.
    There was no damage to the set. Thank God.

The tube is different to the pf1 as the pf1 hav a curvature on the inner surface, i can't see any on this, just nice and flat.

Cant check anything on the component inputs as i haven't got a compatible DVD player.

The sound from under the t.v. is a little tinny and the speakers that come with it aren't really the best. They're quite light and aren't better thant the ones i got with my sanyo avd8501 (DVD player with built in 5.1- not the best but i'll upgrade it one day).
    IMO it is slightly better than the pf1 but i can't wait to check the component in.
    Hope it helps

Spunky

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Spunky, where did you get yours from? Was yours not delivered and installed by toshiba?

6. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope not by toshiba, sorry, but by currys, had to lug it up a flight of stairs too.
    I think part of the fun is setting it up yourself and i can't be bothered paying the extra for one of their staff who is apparently 'qualified' to do it.
    I've set it up using avia, convergence and geometry are excellent, perhaps the best i've had from a set even better than my old pf1. the sony FQ75 looked pathetic compared to it IMO.
    I also got a rubbish tosh 114e dvd player, which i haven't got any intention of opening, i'll probably flog it instead and get the 520.
    Cheers

Spunky

7. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ordered on April 26th. Got an email on 28th to say that the order is being processed but there is a 1 - 2 week delay due to the fact that Toshiba deliver direct.

I've heard that Toshiba write direct to you with a date?

If anyone can confirm that is the case I would be grateful.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    woth asking the 'qualified' staff if they have ever heard of AVIA!!!

9. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    rojo yes your right you will get a letter from toshiba stating the date they are going to deliver your TV. I have been told this aswell. I order mine yesterday which was the 2nd of may.

10. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Can you check with a white or very light image to see if there is any discolouration at the edges - a panning shot across a sky is also good.
    Can you see any green or white trails when a bright image moves across a black background - X-men fight on Statue Liberty showed it up well on my 32zd26.
    Both of the above are best seen in a dark room.
    Is there any buzzing?

Ta

11. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope no buzzing the set is as quite as a mouse, i'm sitting about 60cm away and can't hear a peep. :D

I haven't got the x-men dvd sorry, on a black background- tried U571 and LOTR theres no green or white trails. This is in progressive mind you not the active, natural or 100Hz.

Just checked neither of these setting display that problem either, but thats just with the curtains shut. The progressive doesn't show this. Please bear in mind i'm using a crappy dvd player too. :(
    I don't think the tunner for analogue is very good, but then again it might be because the aerials rubbish.

Also forgot to add earlier theres now the additional options in the menu:
    Geomagnetic - a tilt/rotate only available on the 36" model though
    After the DNR option theres also:
    Black strech and colour temp. - didn't realise these exsisted after setting it up. :( Had to do it all over again and turn them off- they didn't make too much difference though.
    Cheers

Spunky

12. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Cheers.
    Colour temp options adjust the amount red(warm) or blue(cool) in the colour.
    Sorry to be a pain but you could you check what the maximum space is between the shelves. Many thanks.

13. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bottom shelf: 13.5 cm
    Middle shelf: 13 cm
    Top shelf: 14 cm

Just make sure you follow the insructions when putting the stand together. Didn't see there was a difference in the main middle bar where the other two insert into and jammed them in the wrong way round. :nono:
    Still it didn't make any difference. But be warned..... :lesson:

Spunky

14. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounding good.. Are there any flicker issues on any prog scan DVDs or videogames? Since I'm quite tempted once again even though I have a Strata... Many thanks.

15. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I too am very tempted as i really don't think i can put up with the buzzing and dark sides of my strata. It also looks like it may well do PAL prog scan.
    I still think that the flaring and green/white trailing may be an issue. Watching the credits roll on "The Mummy" it definitely left a green/white smear behind it. Spunky hasn't seen it on proper fast moving images though.

16. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have a look at the credits on the mummy tonight- think i've got that one somewhere.

Spunky

17. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those of you that have an xbox or PS2, colin mccrae 3 is a good test for the uniformity of colours as all the loading screens are pure white.

Do the tosh guys make the stand for you as well?

18. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I should think the tosh guy will make the stand as they gotta install the TV. ie set it up etc. Well I will see when I get mine within the next 2 weeks I hope as I order last week as it max 3 weeks till i get it

19. dmce

dmce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your set is being delivered by Toshiba the cabinet stand will be built and the TV put on the cabinet before being setup/installed.

20. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is indeed a green trail that is left behind.
    Tested using white credits on a black screen.

Spunky

21. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to let you know, 36zp38 is arriving tomorrow direct from Toshiba. :clap:

As soon as I've had chance to play with it, I'll let you guys know what I think.

22. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regard to the green trail left behind on the credits, i was watching 'ghosts of mars' in progress mode and there was none evident. OR they were to an extent where i couldn't notice them.
    Strange.

Spunky

23. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rojo
    When did you get the call from Toshiba,I ordered my 36zp38 just over two weeks ago from Robertsons and am still waiting.
    I phoned Robersons on Friday but they said Tosh would call me direct for deliverery.
    Cheers

Hambone.

24. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hambone, not sure whats happened there. I ordered mine from Robertsons on Friday and it's being delivered this Thursday.

25. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ordered mine on the 26th April. Toshiba telephoned my wife on Friday (9th May) to arrange delivery for tomorrow (so less than 2 weeks).

I'd give it to the end of this week then start making noises to Robertsons about cancelling your order - that should make Robertsons keen to check with Toshiba what's happening. (I have heard that it can take up to 3 weeks from ordering a Toshiba telly to arranging of delivery.)

Hope you get the call soon.

26. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'll give them a phone in the next couple of days.
    I wonder if they wait until they have a few orders in the same area to save the engineers going back and forth.

Hambone

27. dmce

dmce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nice one David
    E-mail sent.
    the good thing about these helpful forums is you never know who is out there to help you.
    Although i don't post very much i read them most days and find them very helpful.

Hambone

29. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's good to see that Robertsons Online use these forums and are interested in it's members issues.

I was contemplating who to buy my Toshiba 36" PF2 from and have now decided to take the plunge and buy online from Robertsons.

30. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Got a reply from david at robertsons and should get a call in the next couple of days.
    thanks for the help.

Hambone