Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

tosh pf2 component confusion

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by kerraig, Jun 8, 2003.

1. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just received my ixos component cable i ordered, i set about connecting my tosh 520 DVD player to my PF2 tv. Thinking it to be a simple operation i connected the RGB leads to their corresponding colour on the component out of the DVD player and then the other end to the component in (AV4) port of the tv. Alas, I cannot seem to get an image from my DVD player on my tv in AV4 or any of the other channels? Is there some menu activation I need to get component pictures or is their a problem with one of the pieces of equipment?

2. BruceC

BruceC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with the PF2 & a tosh 330

Go into into the DVD setup & change the video out select over from RGB to video.

Hope this works.

Regards

Bruce...

3. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I had a similar problem, if you have bought directional cables ensure that they are the right way around!

4. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys. answer number 1 was correct. All sorted now.

5. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sanj, only cables with SCART at one or both ends are directional. Phono cables, S-Video cables etc are never directional. Sometimes the manufacturer will claim a cable sounds better in one direction, but the cable will still work OK either way around. They are refering to the orientation of the grains in the copper/silver of the condutors.:lesson:

6. riprip

riprip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of an old thread - hope I'm not joining it too late....

I've got a Toshiba MV36ZD26 recently, connected my component cables and tuned the TV to EXT4. Got the menu type screen on my DVD player up, everything lloks like it's connected correctly. Put a DVD in and the screen goes blue like the TV isn't getting a picture from the DVD player anymore. Stop the DVD and the usual player screensaver type screen appears. Other DVDs are the same, except my Region1 discs, which work perfectly.

So after much fiddling around with the Progressive Scan settings on the TV and the DVD player (which make no difference), I switch the AV output on the DVD from RGB to Video (just like Bruce had to do) and it all works.

Ok, so my question is - Why? Which setting is actually going to give me the best picture? I would assume that an RGB signal is going to be clearer than a combined video one, but I'm no expert in these things. What I'm really concerned about is having spent all this money on fairly spiffy component cables, am I getting the most out of them? The picture difference between them and the cheap-ish SCART I was using is massive, but is there something I should be doing to improve it further?

Sorry about the length of this post.....

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    As far as I'm aware, a number (all?) of DVD players won't output component and RGB at the same time. For example, it explicity says in my Pioneer 656A manual that you have to set the main SCART to output Video, otherwise you won't get component output.

Why I don't know...

8. riprip

riprip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - that explanation seems to make sense. But how come NTSC discs work fine no matter what the output is set to?