1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh & PAnny S97 Set Up

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by lee31, Jan 10, 2005.

1. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Note : This is set to my preferential viewing, this is NOT a suggestion, purely putting my settings here so others can compare enabling either MY settings to HELP you or if you can reply, maybe YOUR settings will help ME :D
    Based on my viewing position is approx 4M

TV Settings

Contrast : 70
    Brightness : 50
    Colour : 50
    Tint : 0
    Sharpness : 0
    DNR : 0
    Black Stretch : OFF
    Colour : COOL
    Lamp : Low Power

DVD Settings

TV Type : LCD TV / PROJECTOR
    Convert From PAL : 625p 50Hz
    NTSC Disc Output : NTSC
    HDMI : Enhanced
    Picture Mode : Cinema1
    Video Output : 750p
    Transfer Mode : Video
    HDMI Colour Space : YCbCR 4:4:4 for NTSC Discs & Change to RGB for PAL

These are obviously just picture settings I use, please feel free to put in your views

Lee

2. Delboy

Delboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh thks for that m8....me will play l8rs.....Just playing burnout 3, kin hell, awsome....

Del

3. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, Yesterday I set mine up (Tosh & S97) using a set up DVD, "Video Essentials - Optimizing Your Audio/Video system." by Joe Kane Productions. This was mastered in 4:2:2 component Digital and features a step by step guide to setting up Contrast, Brightness, Colour, Tint and Sharpness using a series of test patterns. I noticed a massive improvement over the factory sets 1,2 & 3 and over my personal pref's. which I set before using this disc (try them).
    Contrast 15
    Brightness 47
    Colour 68
    Tint +2
    Sharpness 0
    all other settings were as yours.

Are you experiencing any problems with your S97? I am experiencing interuptions during playback, whereby the screen goes blank for a second displaying either a black or blue screen briefly then returns to the film having missed a 1 second section. Obviously I rewind to check it isn't the disc, run the sequence again and it doesn't happen but will happen again later in the film, around 6-8 times during a 90 minute film, but it can never be recreated at the same point in the film, it is totally at random.
    Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions, thoughts?
    I'll give it until next week then return the palyer to Sound & Vision.

4. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have certainly not experienced the blanks on the DVD player. So cant really say anything else to that

maidstoneman30s

5. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have NOT experienced that fault, very strange. It sounds to me as if you have a faulty contact from DVD to TV, ensure all the leads are pushed in tight

I have found another setting on my S97. When 1st got it, I said I put in Toy Story & wow wow wow, well now Ive found a setting on DVD player of "Animation" I selected this & put Toy Story back in & bloody hell, even better :0)

Mind you, Ive been playing with settings again & got a better pic (contrast brightness etc..) cant remember what but I think colour is down to something like 42

Keep em coming lads, still all new to me, great having a fiddle & finding other things

6. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    From the Set-up DVD I used I gathered that the important settings to get right first of all are the Contrast (which sets Blacks and Greys) and then the Brightness (which sets whites) as the pictures are first made up of blacks, greys and whites (the initial sharpness of the picture is achieved at this stage) after which the colour is introduced. The Set-up DVD uses specific test patterns to achieve this. I am prepared to be corrected by any of you experts (which I am most certainly not). I do however like my explanations in layman's terms for this reason. If you have manged to get your colour down in the 40's I suspect you may have your Brightness and Contrast a little too high. Too much Brightness and Contrast will lead to a less sharp picture.
    At the end of the day it's a personal thing isn't it?
    Try the settings I quoted previously and let me know what you think.

Keep experimenting, I intend to. Good Luck :thumbsup:

7. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will give it a go bud, this is the exact reason I started this thread

Cheers

Lee

8. Delboy

Delboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you should say that, watch a rental dvd tonight, and i had it where it almost paused for a sec, then skiped a bit, and played fine from there on in...hmmmm

del

9. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Maybe it is the discs :confused:

10. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried these setting, my god, couldnt watch that if you paid me, sorry but, way off the mark for me. Sad thing is, cant remember my settings so back to playing with it lol

11. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will try some of these settings over the weekend as still away with work. Hope they might improve what otherwise is already fine.

maidstoneman30s