1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh or Sony?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Stinky985, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am looking for a new 32" Tv (36 if i can get away it)
    I have read all reviews and posts etc and am stuck between Toshiba 32xd26p or the Sony kv32fx66.
    Reading the problems experienced with the Tosh, then maybe i should go for the Sony. then this is newer so problems are yet to surface.
    Component out on my dvd player means component in is an attractive feature, but is it that much better than RGB?

Help me please!:confused:

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component out/in is not going to yield massively improved images on a 32" set unless you're running a progressive scan input from the DVD player - so that will mean it relates only to the Toshiba that you're considering.

All TVs have faults, so don't make the mistake of thinking that the one that you decide on will be 'perfect'.

That said, I have the bigger brother of the Toshiba you're considering and wouldn't change it for the world... when the xxZD26P's are good, they're nothing short of stunning (although it would also seem that when they're bad, they're nothing short of take-it-back-and-change-brands bad!)

Good luck with your choice and I hope you're pleased with the outcome :)

3. Gray

Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate, I bought the 32ZD26 just before Christmas and am really impressed with it. I have noticed none of the problems I read about in the forum, and only had to make some alterations to the brightness and contrast (thanks Bilaboo) to make the picture outstanding.

I am very fussy about these things, but if I could go back and buy another TV, I would get either the same TV, or its 36 inch brother.

All TVs seem to have loads of problems when first released, but it looks like the XXZD26 are starting to come good.

Top TV.

Gray

4. j4sonk

j4sonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    recently got the 36 tosh,must say as this was my first 100hz (going from sony 41 rear projection) took a while to get used to.pictures at first seem preaty artificual from tuner and sky,looking soft and somehow out of focus.one week later and they seem nothing short of breathtaking on good quality sources.via denon 2800 mk11 in progressive scan the pictures are three dimensional.definately a tv that will grow on you.did have to make some geometry adjustments in the service menu due to drop off on one corner (avia test disk a very good buy).get one and rediscover your films

5. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    is it really fiddly in the service menus?

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you mean the Tosh, the service menus are actually a breeze to use and, for once, give you quite a nice range of tools. As long as you remember the 'golden rule' of writing down your original factory settings and don't go too mad, you can't go wrong.

I have now managed to get geometry to human-eye perfect levels from my usual viewing position. That's something I could never quite do with my old Panny 36PF10.