Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Tosh/Optoma/Samsung all have issues, so whos next to release again?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by FlyingBig, May 2, 2005.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From what i have gathered the Toshiba suffers from blurring while panning, Optoma has issues playing ntsc dvds from a standalone dvd player and Samsung has an issue with smudging so who will be next to get their next model out to hopefully fix the issues with their previous models. Reason i ask is i plan to purchase soon but i don't have faith in CRT/Plasma or LCD so i plan to go for a DLP Rear projection as i have experience with projection systems and i am impressed with the results of dlp projection. So i am hoping i don't have to wait too long for a truely great dlp projection tv to be released, its soo close i can almost smell it.

2. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Flying big :hiya:

There are a few new DLP sets ariving on the market soon, I think jvc, samsung, tosh are all bringing out new or updated sets. As for the faults only time will tell. Most if not all picture faults are reported in these forums around 4-8 weeks of the sets being realesed on the market. Faulty components may take longer to emerge, ie LG has a standby issue. (Lion :hiya: tick, tock, tick, tock)

I would personally demo the set you intend purchasing, wait a while and keep up to speed with the forums. Do this and you should be fine.

What screen size are you after? :smashin:

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Size doesn't matter, nothing is too big and anything under 28 inch is too small naturally so i am not that fussy. I noticed Panasonic are close to releasing a DLP, will be interested in the feedback of that particular set. I am taking a stab in the dark but this is Panasonic's first DLP rear projection tv? If so then we can expect some issues that will be ironed out with their follow up model so i won't hold my breath but then again you never know.

I might put my eggs in Samsung's new set if they fix the smudging of the screen, anyone experienced this first hand and intends on buying the next model or even planning to get an exchange out of Samsung?

4. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    ive had my sammy for over 1 month. i have no smudges at all. I actually look for them once a week lol so see what they are. none so far

5. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

Screen smudging was fixed many months ago. I think they vented the screen or used a different screen I am not sure which.

I would go for the smasung if I had to buy a 50' DLp without any real issues. As for panasonics new offering only time wil tell as to what issues if any there are with this set.

Happy Shopping :D

Hi Indy :hiya:

6. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd go for a Sammy too, but not an old model that's been hanging around in a warehouse, a recent build only..........reading these faults i'm now very tempted to wait for the new sammy 56...or get a cheap late model upgrade 50...i hope these manufacturers see our postings, because i'm going to be well pi**** off if my new sammy 56 has any faults in 6 months time.

i think these faults i'm reading here are dreadful, they scare me too; i dont expect any if i'm paying 2500 quid :mad: :mad: :( :(

i think we should invite these manufacturers to this forum, they need to read and correct these faults :mad: :mad:

i was in a good mood until i came here 15 minutes ago.... :thumbsdow

7. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes if this carries on, especially with regards to the Sammy, i might buy a plasma 42'' instead

8. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

Front DLP pro's dont seem to be plauged with as many issues as these rear DLP pro's. These DLP rear pro's are only first gen machines. Give them time and they will be improved. For the money and especially the picture quality I dont personaly think you can get better. I have seen many pioneer and panasonic plasmas 42', 43', 50' and none have impressed me as much as my current set the RD65.

Bear in mind plasma also have their downfalls and faults. In addition to that you never have to worry about screen burn, something that has ruined many a top end plasma display.

If you have limited space and you need to hang a TV on the wall then plasma or lcd is your only option. If not I'd steer clear. :)

9. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ``These DLP rear pro's are only first gen machines. Give them time and they will be improved.``

Well ok Razor, lets hope they improve and soon too :mad: :thumbsdow , because i cant think of anything more annoying than buying a tv, washing machine etc and finding out it doesn't work a day later.

10. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

Thats a bit harsh, all these sets work (apart from lg :devil: ). These sets do have issues which we all know about now, optoma judder @ 60hz, tosh blurs & oil painting, sagem 45 frosty screen, sagem no HDCP. If a set breaks down the next day then that could happen to any product plasmas included.

If you buy your set knowing its faults then it is your choice. To my knowledge there is no real issues with the samsung 50' apart from some people arent keen on the modern stlying. If you trail through these forums you will see issues with amps, dvd players, cameras, camcorders etc....

There is no product on the market that is perfect, good maybe, even very good, you might even get amazing but you arent going to find perfect. If there was a perfect tv set, dvd player, amp etc there would be no point in making newer better machines, they would just stick to that make and model.

I think with AV you need to have acceptable tollorences and this will vary greatly from person to person and how much cash you have to spend.

I hope you are happy with what ever you deciede to go for, as disapointment isnt an option when your spending hard earned cash. :thumbsup:

11. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok maybe i was a bit harsh, but i'll be watching these postings carefully before i make a choice :smashin: :thumbsdow

but i must admit i do fancy the new Sammy 56......when it comes out ;)

12. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    I totally agree that these sets should of been field tested better. The optoma judder caused me no end of misery. I wanted to torture the field tester into a slow death :devil: . To release a set in 2004 which can do some thing that a 15 year old tv could do is a disgrace and an embarrassment to Optoma.

I only found these forums due to my hassels with the RD65 and I am so glad I have. I would never purchase a product like this without real users feed back which is found in forums such as these.

You are right that the next gen sets will probably has issues as well, what they are no one know until the product has been on the market for a good 4-6 months.

This is why I wouldn’t recommend buying any av product without a demo or popping into forms like these to get a true run down on the products strengths and weaknesses.

What ever you go for do your research carefully ;)

13. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

yes Razor that's why i'm always here........RESEARCH ONLY :D

My Philips 24'' crt has never once broken down in 10 years, but all of these new ones..............bloody hell !!!!!!!!!!!! :( :(

but i'm fed up with a small screen and i know i'll be pleased with a DLP, but only if it works. i realise the P.Q will be far better than my old crt, but will it be as reliable.......i doubt it that's for sure!

i cant imagine any DLP ever being as reliable as my crt, the best bet might be another 36'' crt.........this old technology seems far more stable.

but i find it very hard to resist a huge screen, especially when my house is looking good now, but i dont think 36'' is large enough and plasmas; way too expensive :thumbsdow ...

i'm firmly fixed on either the Sammy 50, 56/ tosh or maybe an rd 50...but my goal is the new all singing and dancing Sammy 56'', it's just too flash to resist :D :D .............I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW! :rotfl: :rotfl:

I've done enough research........but i have to wait till i've got the dosh :D

14. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

The only advice I can give is get the biggest set you can and get the set you really want, forget the cost as a few hundred pounds over 6-10 years is nothing. The last thing you want is to see the set you really wanted out performing the set you purchased. Splash the cash and enjoy.

DLP sets are better than 36' crt's I have a few mates with both top of the range 36' and 32' sets and the picture on my RD65 is better. Much better.

I was waiting 4 months before the RD65 was released and I hated waiting, I just wanted it straight away...lol :D

15. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too have my eye on a Samsung screen and i am just trying to research into whether customers have gotten rid of the greenish tinge on dvds via component and whether the screen smudge is a thing of the past and if i buy one it will have the new screen that prevents it. I might phone samsung myself and ask them about it and ask for a 100% guarentee that my tv will not suffer from it because that is the only way this company is going to take over £2,000 off me. Its ALOT of money and companies need to have more respect because some of their customers don't have an annual salaries of over £20,000.

16. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES I TOTALLY AGREE, these TVs should work......are you reading this Razor :D :D :D :D....i'm not spending 2000quid if i'm not totally sure either..but i think you'll be safe with the Sammy.

but i'm waiting for this new sammy 56 instead, i dont want last year's technology; however good it is and i definitely dont trust that Toshiba...too many bad postings.

17. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes from reading the postings, you definitely get a strong feeling about which DLP is the best or the most reliable.....

it could be that for every good 100 TVs sold, you'll get 10 with faults and these customers search out this forum to talk about it and you dont hear about the other 90 that are ok...

therefore, in fact; toshiba could actually be quite reliable, because i notice quite a few postings here where customers are happy with them.

18. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is the one Razor, generation 4; 56'' sammy.... :D :D :D yea' it looks great doesn't it.

let's hope it's as reliable as the existing sp 50 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

I bet you thats the pic of the 50'....lol :rotfl:

Looks nice I like the look of the 50' samsung.

Shame they dont go bigger maybe a 75'-80' screen, the pedal stool would have to be two foot wide and one foot high....lol

20. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no that's the actual photo...........i think! i got it from ebay America....yes 75'' would be way too top heavy, a 56'' is probably too big for my room anyway but who gives a damn........at the moment i'm not sure if the new sammy 50 out soon is as advanced as the 56'', if so i might go for the 50''. it looks like it might be, :D :D