Tosh MT3+PC+Keydigital VGA to Component Transcoder

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cg999, Feb 3, 2002.

1. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received the transcoder (to converts RGB VGA to Pb-Y-Pr)yesterday morning. I am using a Toshiba MT3 projector with a PC to watch DVDs. My problem is that the projector produces a slightly jerky motion and tearing on panning shots when using the VGA input. My hope was to use the transcoder to enable me to use the component input on the projector. And yes, this did greatly reduced the jerky movement and eliminate the tearing, but the reduced quality in picture detail, colour resolution and contrast was too great. The jerky motion and tearing only bother me a couple of times in a movie, but the loss in quality would be there all the time.

I just thought I'd post in case any other MT1/3 owners were planning on going down the same road. At least it did give me a very stable picture. So now I'm stuck with another item that's usless to me and £150 less well off (bringing back those terrible memories of the "IScan Pro experience). Oh well, thats the price we pay for obsessive behavour)

Conor

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I run this very same system and I agree to an extent with what you say, its a trade offf between quality/stutter/tearing.

In terms of quality with my projector from the worst to the best.

480i 575i
    480p 575p (DVDplayer progressive0
    480p 575p ISCAN

720p HTPC component transcoder

1280x960 VGA best.

Don't you find it a reasonable leap from using progressive sources, I know there is a loss of quality through the transcoder but its should be a peg up from the other sources.

+ can't you now map a PAL disc to 480p and get PAL progressive (albiet scaled) whereas before you couldn't get PAL prog?

Out of interest I am now using zoom player with cinemaster 4 XP pack, at 49.67 hz, and this almost removes tearing but I do have stuttering every 2 mins.

3. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tyrone, thanks for your reply

I must say that your posts have been a fantastic help to me over the past few months, so thanks for that.

The main reason I went for a PC as a DVD player was to get rid of the vertical line structure that shows using a video source on the MT3. And with the PC they are practically non-existent. I was very surprised with the extra detail, increased colour resolution, brightness and contrast that the PC also gave. But there is always a drawback...more pronounced judder and minor tearing. Although the transcoder solved the judder/tearing problem, my vertical lines are back (not quite as bad as before) and the image looked washed out, pale and with no depth to colours and not as bright. So now I'm caught between a rock and a PC case. I must admit that if I had it back again I would not buy a Toshiba projector. They leave you being just too limited in what you can do. The highest resolution that I can get is 480p. I have the PC set to 800X600. If I change it to anything else the projector will not display it using component in, and even though I don't really understand why, I have gathered that when using a PC it is best to match the resolution of the projector.

Overall I'm not all that disappointed, I watched Swordfish last friday night and when I think back on the movie my only memories are of a super picture, great sound and a very enjoyable movie. Even though there was (I'm sure) tearing and judder, the movie kept me distracted from it. And after seeing Lord of the Rings at the cinema recently, although the cinema has the edge in some ways, overall I'd rather watch a movie at home.

Thanks again for your help over the past few months, but I have now (this weekend) reached a landmark moment in my home cinema development...I'm going to forget about tweeking, buying, and looking for faults, and start enjoying my movie viewing. So until my next upgrade (the projector in about 5 years) I'm going back to the land of the sane.

Conor

PS Although what about a wideangle lense, or maybe a motorised screen, oh and what about a new sub or maybe a...

4. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The thing is with all this tweaking etc... is that setting up the home cinema becomes more of a hobby that viewing films, you've got to relax somewhere along the way.

Anway, just out of interest what video graphics cards refresh rates are you using, I would like to compare projector settings.

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yep, you are absolutely right, we really are in danger of forgetting why we're here in the first place...to watch and enjoy movies. My wife and friends think that I'm loosing my mind when I start talking about judder, tearing, vertical banding, dot crawl, contrast etc they can't see what the hell I'm talking about. Most of my friends see no difference between the DVD player and the PC, and if the y do see a difference they certainly cannot see £500 worth of a difference (cost of setting up the PC). By the way, I agree with some of your earlier posts in that the importance of contrast is really overated, blacks in the cinema are apalling and isn't a "More cinematic image" what we're all supposed to be looking for. Unless the image is almost completely dark, black level never bothers me on my LCD projector.

I watched some of the The Rock last night and I concentrated on watching the movie, I didn't notice any problems with judder or tearing.

I'm using a Radeon VE 32MB dual disply graphics (dual display disabled). A Fortissimo II sound card (this card is suppossed to contribute to judder, but I removed it and there was no improvement). Pentium III 600 with 256MB RAM. The Pj is set to True Colour 800X600 resolution. I am using a 60Hz refresh rate, 72Hz and 75Hz did not improve the judder but did contribute to more tearing. I have the contrast set to about +2, the brightness to +1, Sharpness Tint Green set to 0, and red and blue set to +1 or +2. Clock and Phase set to 0. The picture is excellent except when I see this judder and tearing.

Conor