1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh MT1z vs Sanyo PLV30 (vs Infocus LP340)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Stever, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Stever

Stever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as I thought I had made up my mind about which projector to buy, you lot go and throw in another suggestion (Sanyo PLV30)and I'm back to square one again :)I have been hesitating between the Infocus LP340 or the Toshiba MT1z (if the rainbow effect is too annoying on the InFocus), but the Sanyo mentioned elsewhere looks interesting.

Can someone give me a comparison in laymans terms of the 2 LCDs (pros and cons), so that I know what to look for in a demo. Also, how do each of them (and the Infocus for that matter) deal with 16:9. I mainly watch Anamorphic widescreen DVDs and I have read that there is considerable loss of quality when the 16:9 image is squeezed into 4:3 on these projectors. In what way is the image affected?

Finally, I am stuck in a part of Europe where it is difficult to even buy these projectors, let alone see them in action. Can anyone suggest a good supplier where I might be able to demo 2 or all 3 of my shortlist somewhere in the London area or Southern England when I next visit the UK?

Thanks to all - Steve.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just about to post almost this exact message, although I am only interested in the Sanyo and Toshiba. Additional questions though - I have heard about the MT1 being replaced by the MT2, anyone know when this is likely to happen? Also does anyone know how good either of these models are for not having dead pixels?

Also I can look in the North West as well as London.

Thanks.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Sanyo PLV30 DV Theater LCD projector and like it very much - stated early.

I had been looking for a projector and had come to a halt. DLP has rainbow ( big shame ) and LCD was poorly focused ( due to contrast ). CRT too big and bulky.

Then Chris Frost showed me the Sanyo. It met my requirements. A small shoe box size LCD projector that throws a good image.

I think its a good image because of its high contrast ratio 400:1. My set up is 13 foot throw distance on a 6ft screen. It accepts component input ( if you have sony 7700 dvd player ). It costs 2500 pounds.

If your looking for a dealer in Manchester go to the Trafford center and there is a shop next to the Sony centre who can demonstrate it

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Timo,

I've been in that shop recently and seen the projector and didn't even realise, but then I wasn't looking to buy at that time. I'll be going back to take a look soon. I also have a demo arranged at the Audio Counsel in Oldham (thanks to Phillip Hardaway of Owl for telling me about them.)

Could you tell me if you have any problems with dead pixels on your PLV30?

5. Stever

Stever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks from me, as well.

How do you find the blacks on the Sanyo (this is the main reason I would favour a DLP)? Also, given its ratings, how have you found the performance when there is some ambient light in the room?

Still looking for a demo in S. England or London - anyone any suggestions?

Steve

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get to Tottenham court road then
    try Musical Vision, upstairs they have quite a good demo room to show off projectors. Not sure about buying from them as there not the cheapest in town.
    I got a demo of the Toshiba MT1 and was so impressed that I am saving me pennies for one!

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had no dead pixels on mine.

The blacks I find quite good. Acceptable to watch.

In order to see the image, it has to be quite dark or overcast. For example if it is a bright sunny day outside then you cannot see the image. If it is overcast outside then you can see the image. Turning a light on when it is dark means you can also see the image. I think during the summer it would be needed to have thick curtains that lets no light into your room in order to watch the image

[This message has been edited by timo (edited 11-01-2001).]

8. Stever

Stever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timo,

Thanks once again - sounds good so far. I just need a demo now (Floyd - thanks for the TCR tip).

Generally, I would be watching movies after dark, so there should not be a light issue, although there is possibly some stray light from an adjoining room.

Steve

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again timo.

I've just had a demo of the Toshiba Mt1. Not quite the best demo - I want to have the projector 15 feet from a white seven foot wide screen in the dark, they wanted to demo it about six feet from a grey wall in a light room with an image of roughly 35 inches or so.

However it looked good and had no dead pixels. I look forward to my demo of the Sanyo which seems to be better specified apart from the lumens (as I said I'm watching in the dark so not too much of a problem)and I've seen it for less money than the Toshiba.

If the Sanyo doesn't have dead pixels and is as good as everyone says I think I'll buy it.

10. Rupert Bear

Rupert Bear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sanyo PLV30 last week and am very pleased with it.

I can confirm everything that Timo has said.

It definitely does need to be seen in a dark room.

Black levels good enough for me, although dark scenes can be murky - newer films seem worse than old in this regard.

In general the colours look as good as on my 36' Hitachi TV

The fan noise is no greater than a slide projector - in practice I don't notice it once I'm involved in a film and no one else who's seen it has commented on the noise.

No dead pixels.

It has a short throw and not much zoom. Using it in a room 22' x 22' on a 6' screen, I have no option but to set it up in the middle of the room which is not ideal with small children running round. You will probably always need to be sitting at the side of it or behind.

It is very easy to set up and operate.

I auditioned mine at owl in Uckfield, although they do not normally sell direct to the public. They were very nice people to deal with.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rupert

Have you thought about ceiling mounting it?

Also I increased the brightness to 37 - this seemed to help on the dark scenes.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got back from a demo of the Sanyo PLV-30 projector. I thought it looked very good apart from a few concerns over the edges of objects on the screen giving the image a slightly un-film like look to my eyes.

My last projector, a Kodak V600 zoom(returned due to excessive levels of pixel burn out on four seperate units) did not suffer this to such a degree, however the Sanyo's picture otherwise bettered the Kodak. Unfortunately my demo of the Toshiba was not good enough to properly rate it against the Sanyo.

The fact that progressive scan is supported by the Sanyo is making me lean towards it since I've been considering a DVD player upgrade. I can't decide whether to wait for The Toshiba MT2. Given my impulsive nature a wait seems unlikely, but does anyone have any information when this new Toshiba is likely to materialise?

Thanks

13. talkron

talkron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the component input is only for the US players , the separated colour informations from classic european RGB can not be send throgh this? Is this right?

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the Sanyo it has a component input sockets - 3 of them. To this you can connect if you have a DVD player with component input sockets also such as the Sony 7700 DVD player. This is how I have connected to the Sanyo.

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    TalkRon: You are right that RGB can't be sent to Component sockets. You should find that there are plenty of DVD players with Component outputs as it's not a US only output specification.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

16. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Gordon,
    What in your opinion,has the better picture?..the toshiba mt1z or the sanyo mentioned?
    in addition to these,what about the new Philips dlp(i think its about 3k)-=the spec on this looks almost too good for the money-have you seen this(i think its a clone of the plus dlp?)

17. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Gordon,
    You'll have chance to look at the PLV30 when we meet next week. I'll have one with me when I come up to Glasgow with the DLP.

Perhaps you'll be kind enough to post your evaluation of the little Sanyo?

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk