Tosh HD-E1 Now, or Wait for Next Generation?

johnny777

Prominent Member
Reaction score
In a quandry...............With the proce of the HD-E1 dropping to £179 (unless you're in Curry's, where it's still £349), it's very tempting.

Really want an HD Player, but can't decide whether it's worth holding off for the new next generation models.

Grateful for any opinions/advice,

TIA.

E1 is stable and cheap. The next generation will be much more powerful (faster) and may be capable of more 'features' but I suspect it will take a little while to get the firmware correct. It is likely to be more expensive initially. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, my solution is generally different to most in that I buy both!

i think its very cheap at the moment and would buy, the next Gen will still be a while yet and will no doubt be very expensive,
The HD-E1 in my opinion is a great , great player and excellent value for money, is a steal at these prices and will no doubt give you heaps of funs

The HD-e1 can be had for £169.99 at the digitaldirect.co.uk website and if you get 2 free movies via the toshiba mail in offer you are really getting a bargain

Mines turning up Wednesday at digitaldirects price it would be stupid not to:D

You get a free HDMI cable and free films that you might have bought anyway. Take those of the price and it looks cheaper.

Buy now... not everyone on eBay etc reads forums like this and searches for uber cheap prices so you'd probably get a big chunk of the cash back (plus the benefit of the free discs) that you could put toward a next gen player.

I seriously doubt you'd lose out if you bought now and sold on in a few months.

Buy now and enjoy it, at the price it's a steal

stay away from the trading forums here though, I've spent a bloody fortune on HD-DVDs this weekend :eek:

Mmmmm ...Maybe it's not so cheap after all :rotfl:

Bob

I'd hold out, still issues with E1 firmware, I have one and and run into playback problems with Hot Fuzz (UK version) and Clerks 2. Its a big step up if you have a 360 drive but they should not be so many playback issues

Romero ;)

E1 is stable and cheap. The next generation will be much more powerful (faster) and may be capable of more 'features' but I suspect it will take a little while to get the firmware correct. It is likely to be more expensive initially. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, my solution is generally different to most in that I buy both!

Have you heard something I missed? I heard the 3 rd gens would be cost cutting socs with the hd xe1 remaining the flagship model???

Infact I was about to purchase an xe1 this week:confused:

Regards

John.

For those with the E1, how noisy is it?

For those with the E1, how noisy is it?

i do not find it noisy at all, my laptop from the same distance is a lot noisier. Infact i didn't notice the noise at all until I read a post here where someone mentioned it. If you pause everything and have no noise what so ever you will hear it, but i certainly don't notice/ hear it when i have sound up ( and that is not at a loud level)

Great forum and thanks so much for bringing this great deal to my attention.

Just a quickie, I went to digitaldirect and saw the E1 and EP10 - I have a 1080p panel, does that justify the extra £50 for my first HD-DVD player?

If you have a 1080 panel and the EP10 is only £50 more IMO you would be daft not to get the EP10 and get the most from your screen.

If you had been buying a new screen and were asking 720p or 1080p, my view would have been, why buy a 1080p screen at the moment,as there is no 1080p broadcast material on the horizon.

I'm going to put my HD-E1 in the living room for the moment as my plasma is only 1080i, when I buy a new 1080p panel the E1 will go up stairs with the plasma and replace my upscaling dvd and LCD and I'll get another HD DVD.

I've seen both the EP10 and E1 and there's no pq difference imo on my panel.

I think thats what the op needs to look at will they be upgrading display's soon to 1080p, will the next gen HD player benefit their setup in anyway.

Is there any difference between the E1 and EP10 in regard to start-up times/loading of discs etc?

the prices on digitaldirect for the EP10 has just shot up from £239 to £288 meaning it is about £120 more expensive than the HD-E1. So will probably wait now for a month or two...

the prices on digitaldirect for the EP10 has just shot up from £239 to £288 meaning it is about £120 more expensive than the HD-E1. So will probably wait now for a month or two...

It was £250 on Play yesterday....

Excellent found it - now whether to buy know or wait a few weeks to see if the xe1 comes down

The mail in offer isn't advertised much on HD-DVD's website. :confused:

PS on ebay there is an E1 with bids up to £181 with still 3 hours to go. Doesn't look like you'd loose any money if you wanted to flog it! ;)

Excellent found it - now whether to buy know or wait a few weeks to see if the xe1 comes down

Baring in mind the amazon news that the samsung dual is £485 (pre order on) that's only £50 more than the current XE1 price, and it should be pretty much the same for HD-DVD playback (same reon processor and 5.1 analogue out) i'd expect the XE1 to come down pretty soon.

Well I hope I haven't done the wrong thing here, but I've just placed my order for the E1 with soundandvisiononline.com...

I'm a bit nervous now - I usually am after buying something I know I don't need, but really, really want... Where's the chewing fingernails emoticon? :rolleyes:

I'm a bit nervous now - I usually am after buying something I know I don't need, but really, really want...
I'm always at my most nervous as I am entering my credit card details.......the carpet in our hallway is quite thick and I don't ALWAYS hear her coming :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: But once you've pressed the "buy now" button the fear normally passes quite quickly. Why does buying A/V gear make you feel like you're having an affair?:confused::confused:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom