Tosh HD-E1 for SD DVD collection?

Nawty

Ok, so I've just got my nice shiny plasma (Panny PX70) and now I need a decent DVD player (my current Tosh SD110 is getting a tad long in the tooth :D ).

I was going to go for an Oppo but I noticed that you can get the HD Tosh for £260ish and having read the reviews it is meant to be very good at upscaling, my question is (ignoring the format wars) is the HD-E1 a good buy for my reasonably sized (I guess somewhere around 70ish films) SD DVD collection?

Nawty

If all your DVDs are Region 2 then it's a good upscaler. Considering it also plays HD DVDs, it's a very tempting proposition.

Thanks Steve, your point there is exactly what I'm thinking.

I think only one of my DVD's is R1 (Silence of the lambs) so that isn't an issue.

Marmar

Standard Member
I held off buying an E1 for quite a while because I suspected that as they can only output 1080i they would come down a lot. When they dropped so much (got mine for under £250) it meant at least I could now buy next gen software. Even if BD won, films I buy now in hi def I can always watch as I have a hi def player.

All I can say for my standard def collection is that I was very pleasantly surprised. It is noticeable better than the Samsung HDMI player which I was happy with. And now I find myself wanting to go through all my old SD films again. I have watched three hi def films and two SD ones this weekend. :D Like you my SD discs are almost exclusively region 2.

Having said that I am only outputting to a 768 line 37 inch LCD display.

Nawty

Gah, and I'd just cleared my credit card too :D

Out of interest, how thin is the inclusive HDMI cable? (one of my selling points to the wife!)

edit: oh, and my screen is 42" 768 line viewed from 15foot so I doubt 1080 will give me any benefits.

Marmar

Standard Member

Out of interest, how thin is the inclusive HDMI cable? (one of my selling points to the wife!)

edit: oh, and my screen is 42" 768 line viewed from 15foot so I doubt 1080 will give me any benefits.

The cable is pretty thin really.

If you watch films with any kind of frequency I think you would find it very well worth it. The only issue I have with the picture is a slight judder on slow panning scenes, but overall the picture really is just a joy to watch.

jamiev

Nawty

Thanks for the link Jamie.

I'm still undecided on what one to get, not because of lack of info I'm just trying to figure if HD is worth the extra (given how cheap SD DVD's are nowdays).

Something else I am trying to figure out is HD notwithstanding, how much better will the picture be over my old Tosh SE110 (ohh, 6 years old?).

thornton

I am not overwhelmed by my E1 with standard def DVDs - it is perhaps slightly better than my old upsscaling Panasonic SD DVD, having now gone through several discs.

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
I am not overwhelmed by my E1 with standard def DVDs - it is perhaps slightly better than my old upsscaling Panasonic SD DVD, having now gone through several discs.

At last, someone who agrees with me. I dont think the E1 is that great with SD-DVD either. It certainly cant touch my old Faroudja based Oppo for jaggies . If I couldnt push 576i to my Lumagen and get a very decent PQ I'd be looking at another player for SD-DVD

Grumble

My E1 upscales SD DVDs on par with my HTPC.

When I first setup the E1 on the PJ, I made the mistake of connecting the component outputs to a SD TV as well as the HDMI to the PJ :suicide:
The E1 will sense that something is connected to the component outputs and will not upscale SD DVDs (even when the TV is switched off).
This is not made clear in the user manual.

Once I disconnected the component connections, the HDMI output was upscaled to my PJ at 720p. :thumbsup:
I tried 1080i, but the PQ went down (judder). :thumbsdow

TrevorS

The cable is thin, but it only runs a short distance. It works just fine -- no need to upgrade it.

TrevorS

If you are used to having upscaled SD DVD, I wouldn't expect you to be overwhelmed by the E1 upscaling. However, that doesn't mean that it's less than a very good upscaler. It's certainly well above average performance -- throw in the HD DVD capability, and it becomes a real bargain.

(There have been a number of comparisons between the A2 and Oppo and Denon at AVSforum and the A2 has consistently acquitted itself quite well.)

rooster-x

How does the upscaling of the HD-E1 compare to the upscaling of Panny Panels? I'm running a Panny PV500 and it does an excellent job of upscaling from a lowly Toshiba SD-220 DVD player (I am sat about 11ft away). Anyone with a panny panel noticed a big difference when going from an SD (non upscaling player) to the HD-E1?

Cheers :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom