1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh Firmware Check

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 7ThGuest, Dec 26, 2002.

1. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Hope everyone had a great christmas and get everything they wanted :D :D

I was lucky enough to get a £100 from the mother-in-law (shock, horror) so I am going to hot foot it to get a Tosh SD220E tomorrow.

My question is on checking the firmware, I have heard from several different sources that RS are selling these at 119:95 a cracking price but when asked about the version of firmaware installed they don't know.

Is there an easy way of checking this and I believe I should be looking for at least ver 1.50.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

7ThGuest

2. Free

Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi 7ThGuest

Press zoom 6 0 6 zoom on the DVD remote to get the firmware version at least thats what i read. Not sure if you can find out by other means.

Happy Christmas:)

3. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from RS about a month ago and it has 1.5 firmware, so I guess they will all be that now unless you manage to find a shop with old stock.

4. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Free & Mandlebrot

Many thanks for the speedy response. Will give it a go as soon as I get it home tomorrow, or in the shop if they will let me

I take it you have both used yours extensively now, any comments good/bad anything I should be wary of??

I am intending to get some R1/RCE disks had any problems. Do you just leave the setup to auto to detect disks.

I am hooking it up to a JVC 28" which supports NTSC 3.5/4. something or other.

Once again thanks, hope these aren't dumb questions!!

7ThGuest ;)

5. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, just set it in AUTO mode and away you go. The only problem I have is that because it wasn't built has a multi-region player it won't convert the NTSC stuff to PAL and like many others my Panasonic TV suffers from moire problems in NTSC mode but thats not a fault of the DVD player.

I'm still very happy with it and wouldn't go back to my old player which could convert to PAL because the 220's picture is stunning:D

Can't say to much about RCE cause I don't think I have any. I've been told no problems with the first gen RCE but people haven't reported on the second gen RCE protection yet or they hadn't last time I checked

6. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Got my new Tosh 220 today £119:95 from RS.

Checked firmware straight away 1.5 - set it to auto put AOTC in and hey presto cracking picture and sound, also tried some R4 music dvd's which I couldn't play on my old machine again picture and sound excellent well chuffed.

Thanks for the advice.

7ThGuest

:D :D :D

7. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    I have 4 rce discs and they all play fine
    on my 220 which is also firmware virsion 1.5.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Spiderman The Movie makes a cracking RCE test disc ;)

9. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Thanks for the infor on the above discs will have to get my hands on some for a test. Now I've spent most of my Chrimbo money will have to try for early birthday pressies (April) :D :D :D

Regards

7ThGuest