1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh DVD firmware

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tman, Aug 19, 2002.

1. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have a multi-region Tosh SD-510e. I was under the impression that this model can be firmware upgraded from a bootable CD/DVD. What I don't know is;

What is the current firmware version for this player, and how can you find out which version you have?

Would a genuine firmware upgrade screw up a multi-region modified player?

Is there a site where these upgrades are available, or is it directly from Toshiba.

Am I heading up completely the wrong tree, and talking rubbish?

The reason I ask about this is that I have had the whole player lock on me twice now. Generally, it's fine, but it's a bit concerning.

2. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you have your player in a confined space. I had a similar thing happen to me on two occasions. I moved my player to a different shelf so it had no equipment directly below or above and it has been fine ever since, even in the hot conditions recently. I think its very sensitive to heat from underneath it.

3. snyphr

snyphr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With no disc in machine on remote press zoom, 6, 0, 6, zoom

Yes it would revert back to region 2 only

Toshiba only and only to the priveledged few...

No...

1)If a player gets too hot it will lock up.
    2)If you play a disc that has fingerprints or resedue of any sort it will lock up or mpeg (big green pixels).
    3)Dirty lens can cause problems
    4)Home made/non original material can freeze

BTW do you know if your Toshiba was ever recalled and fixed? Toshiba recalled all the SD510e after launch to fix a problem with the RGB video out. May have been other bugs but that was the official line....Speak to Toshiba.....

4. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks for the info.

I have a dedicated TV bench (from IKEA), that has four spaces for kit. Currently, I have the DVD on the top shelf above the amp. I may well have to check on heat levels if the Tosh is prone to this problem, as the amp gets pretty hot.

Guess I'll have to stick with the current firmware version then. I've only had the player a few weeks, so I can only assume it's a version with the RGB out problem fixed (I use component connections to a plasma anyway). I doubt if Toshiba would touch my player with a cattle prod anyway as it's been modified!

I'll check my firmware version and re-post.

Cheers