Tosh DVD-Compatible Mode ????'s

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matthew Attoe, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I am having a little difficulty understanding the manual for the Tosh RDXS32 manual and am hoping that someone can please explain to me in plain english exactly what DVD-Compatible mode does? It says something in the manual about doing something to the audio. I think it's something to do with extra languages broadcast in the NICAM signal - is this correct?

Does it actually affect the normal bog-standard NICAM signal you get when watching run-of-the-mill stuff, like 24, Eastenders etc etc?

What mode is best to use (Mode I or Mode II)? This will mostly be used when I record from Sky (24, Cold Case, Las Vegas) as I record them for a friend and will then have to put them on a DVD-RW for him.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks,

Matthew

2. Alanji

Alanji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not an expert but my understanding is the same as yours and normal stereo sound is not affected.
    Annoyingly it seems you have to set the "DVD compatable" mode for each timer recording though there is a default setting for current recording.

3. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad I was not the only one got confused by this from the manual, After reading thro' NICAM spec it seems that there are different modes of which the audio signals could be broadcasted. In Europe, if some station choose to transmit in dual languages then this actually can be recorded onto the HDD but can not be done onto DVD-R/RW for compatibility reasons. Have a look at tables on P74, my impression is that it dose not matter for stereo broadcast whether you select mode1 or mode2, but if for any reasons, lets say for example, if BBC starts to transmit a program in dual language, French on the left channel and English on the right channel, then choosing mode 1 will only give you a French audio and not the English audio when burnt to DVD.

HTH

4. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks very much. The manual really is somewhat lacking. It seems to be the result of a poor translation!

From now on then, everything will be set to record in DVD-Compatible Mode I.

Thanks again,

Matthew