1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh DR1 Replacement? What to do...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sdkmway, Feb 2, 2005.

1. sdkmway

sdkmway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All

My 2nd DR1 has just decided to play silly buggers again with playback of normal disks... temporary region-locking after recording on -RWs. :mad:

So its back to RS for a replacement.

I really liked the way I could increase or decrease the recording rate on the DR1, can anyone tell me if the Panny 65 or 85 can do the same or the Pioneer 420.As these appear to be my replacement options at RS.

Also any machine better than the other from these, other than the fact that 2 of them have hard disks?

Would appreciate if anyone can steer me in the right direction.

This will be connected up to a Sky+ box.

Thanks in advance
    Kev

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    If you are happy to remain without RGB input then the JVC DRM10 is an excellent choice. Again offers DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R recording and has the same ability to define any one of 32 different recording modes. Like the Dr1 it has S-Video input.

Before you go further can I suggest taking a quick look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature? In particular note that the benefit of a HDD machine is to enable you to make editted recordings that are compatible on other DVD players without using a PC. If you want to do this then you should only look at HDD/DVDR combis, e.g.
    - Panasonic E85 or E95
    - Toshiba RDXS32
    - Pioneer 420 or 520

If you don't then maybe a standalone is your preferred option, e.g.
    - JVC DRM10
    - Panasonic E55 or E65
    - Pioneer 220 or 320

Toshiba, JVC and Pioneer recorders all offer this. So do Panasonic although they use a different approach where you dial in recording time.

3. sdkmway

sdkmway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Rasczak that was most useful. I swapped the Tosh for the E65 in the end and got some money back :)

I do most of my editing on the PC (and happy to do so), so having a hard disk would have been a useful luxury for me, but funds being as they are it was not possible this time.

Cheers
    Kev

4. WaltA

WaltA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine too. :eek:

It can play/record DVD-RAMs OK, but can't read regular DVD's nor play/record DVD-R's anymore.

Is this a normal failure???

Unfortunately, the warranty expired a while ago.