1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 56WH08 ? advice

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Joshua, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Joshua

Joshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,
    I am almost decided on a Tosh 56WH08, I've seen one set up and had a demo but the ghosting was awful. Also on Star Wars I as faces moved around they left an image lag behind them which I found off putting to say the least. I've been reading the posts and nobody seems to have mentioned this so, was it just poor set up in the store ? Is this the right TV ? I've seen the Sony KP44PS2 and was impressed but it's just not 56" is it.

I'll be using the Tosh for all round TV and a good portion of PS2 gaming. Any advise would be of great help, for that amount of money I what to be impressed when I get it home.

Thanks

Josh.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Josh,

I used to have a 40WH08 - I think the "time-lag" on faces is caused by the noise reduction software - it's worse if the source is a little grainy. If you switch off the DNR then this should go away - I think it's recommended (by cinephile-type people) to watch DVDs without DNR anyway.

Cheers
    Daz

3. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Josh,

I have the a huge, black, Toshiba 56WH08 which they now seem to have replaced with a much smaller silver coloured one. The TV is great. It doesn't have a great vertical viewing angle, in that it's not so bright looking from the top or bottom, but sitting on the sofa, it's perfect. I'm sure it was designed just that way.

Overall, it's a great TV. I bought one just before the replaced it with a 'better' model......

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had one of these beast for a few months now, a very impressive set. Needs a good feed to be truely awesome, dvd images are just jaw dropping, satellite is hit and miss and if you are on cable the analogue pictures can be very good, far better than aeriel based broadcasts, (where I'm located anyway).

Geometry and convergence are spot on, the set has a good range on the brightness and contrast too. When setting up make sure the DNR is switched off, and you should find that only 100Hz setting and not the natural scan option is needed, natural scan can also lead to smearing.

If you haven't a seperate av system I think you will find the onboard sound pretty good, if you want to improve the sound at a later date the set gives you the option to use external speakers.

10/10 ;)

The majority of RP sets have what they call a sweet spot, this is where you are sat directly infront and at the correct level. Not so much a part of the design but a limitation to their design.

5. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob,

I leave the DNR turned on because it reduces the noise on poor bit rate signal, typically those you see from satellite. It does work.

I've been puzzling for some time with the 100Hz/Natrual scan mode. I'm never sure exactly which mode the screen is actually in. Does the menu select 100Hz or show it's current setting? The 'Natural scan mode' is not explained in the manual. Is this 50Hz mode? To me, and I'm sensitive to flicker, it looks like the 100Hz mode flickers on certain picture compositions. For the most part 100Hz mode seems to look sharper, but flickers occasionally. However, as I said, I'm not really sure if the menu shows you the mode you are in or the mode you will change to when you select it.

BTW, having just got a component video DVD player. Having tried the player (Limit 9900) with both RBG and component, you get a much better picture with component than using RBG. I was actually amazed how clear DVDs now look.

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To find what is selected just have a look in the picture settings menu.

Natural scan is still 100Hz but has more processing added to it making it ultra stable, using this setting does have it's side affects.