1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 52WM48 initial impressions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Les, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all

Finally arrive late today. Got it from http://www.buyyourav.com/ for £1800 plus £70 delivery. Had to wait about 4 weeks in all for it, but that was down to Toshiba delivery to my supplier. Supplier reasonable, but not particularly good at keeping customers informed of whats happening to order.

OK - the nitty gritty. Took about an hour to build stand (very easy and straight forward) and set up Av equip. I was on my own start to finish and no problems were encountered.

Switch on - tried Analogue TV - quality fair, but then my antenna never was set up correctly. Sky - have tried a bunch of channels and so far I haven't found any that give other than a good or great picture. DVD - Panasonic DVDS97EBS - so far have tried 3 NTSC discs, 3 PAL regular, 2 superbit, no problems seen of any kind. Although I haven't had a chance to watch anything for any reasonable time, I haven't been able to fault the TV in any way so far.

I have tried my hardest to see any kind of artifact - screen door effect, rainbows and so far not a single one to be found. (I do wear contacts - and as has been mentioned in this forum previously - maybe that's why I can't see any blemishes :)

Summary: all pictures found so far (except analogue TV) are superlative. The sound output using *only* the TV is really impressive (if only there were rear speaker outputs I wouldn't bother with my AV Amp at all). No artifacts found. No dead pixels (stuck mirrors) found. Managed to do all set up by myself so must be easy :)

Do bear in mind, this report is based on only about 2 1/2 hours use so far.

Just thought I'd let you all know.

btw there are lots of WOW's too.

2. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Nice one Les - it'll be nice to get an update on your impressions after you've got used to the set after a few more days.

So far, it sounds like your well happy with your pruchase.

T.

3. Picman

Picman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Les,

Congratulations on your new Tosh,

I have the 46" and have been getting dreadful facial blurring/solarisation on both sky+ and DVD, have you noticed anything like this when people move there faces quickly?

I'm looking forward to your indepth review when you have had time to play properly.

4. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

So far, haven't been able to see any blurring/solarisation at all. I have tried to 'force' things like shaking head vigorously to see rainbows etc, but I must be lucky cause haven't seen them or any of the other well known artifacts so far. Time, as they say, will tell.

One thing I'm a little surprised at, is that since these are 'all digital' and everything, I would have thought they would have implemented things like picture in picture and freeze frame (my 8 1/2 year old Sony LCD RP even had that), and various other 'digital trickery'. To manipulate digital images would have been easy for them I'd have thought. Ah well, can't have everything.

I will try to compose a full report after a few days.

5. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *gulp* I've just ordered one as well :thumbsup:

I too got mine from buyyourav.com - Have you noticed they've put the price up £100 this week ?

I phoned the manager this morning and managed to haggle the price to £1850 delivered so :thumbsup: to them for playing the game and getting a sale out of it.

I'll be connecting this up to a Sony DAVS dvd & surround system.

What cables do I need to buy and where is the best place to get them ?
    (including scarts, as I'm just using cheap cr@p just now)

Roll on Friday :D

6. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I noticed the increase - well done with the haggeling :clap:
    Well for cables, at the moment I have not got my AV Amp hooked up but I have a HDMI-HDMI cable from DVD to TV, cheapo Scart-Scart from old style Sky box to TV, Phono-Phono from TV to Active sub Woofer. When I do have the AV Amp hooked up I will move the Sub woofer connection to it (LFE out), Phone-Phono TV out to Amp in, and I suspect, Fibre Optic from DVD-Amp.

Overall, the sound is as good that if the TV had rear speaker out connections, I wouldn't personally bother with using the AV Amp.

7. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have the 46" coming within the hour cant wait. You some kind of superman how did you manage to lift the monster onto the stand without any help lol. Anyway i hope i have as little problems as you do fingers crossed.

8. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It really wasn't hard to get the set onto the stand. All I did was place a coffee table close to middle of stand, lift one end of set onto it, then lift other end of set onto stand. The small table was close to 2/3 height of stand. Once 'straddled across stand, just eased one end after the other into position. I went smoothly. One word of caution for anyone trying this. The front edge of the stand is very thin, so I put a piece of thick cardboard on this edge for protection. The weight of the 52" isn't a problem, just the overall size and shape makes it awkward.

Good luck with you new set Supermackem.

9. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    cheers mate, i bottled it and had a friend help me. Was pretty easy and only need a hand lifting it on apart from that a breeze and a very nice tv as well.

10. mattty

mattty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could you tell me what is the gap size between the shelves.ta :lease:

11. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Its a pretty big gap mate i would say its xbox times 2 and a half, for the first time since buying my xbox it looks small and lost on the stand lmao.

12. givecredit

givecredit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone have the Dimenions of the 52wm48?? They are not quoted on the Toshiba web site or catalogue..

13. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :rotfl: :rotfl: You nutter!!
    You made me laugh, Thanks.

14. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK here they are (as measured):
    Floor to bottom of display area = 64cm
    Overall width (inc speakers) = 1m48
    Overall floor to top of set = 1m33
    Front to back (max) = 39cm
    Top shelf vert clearance 16cm
    Bottom shelf vert clearance = 21 cm
    Both shelves width = 87cm

Shelf area seems adequate - I have 2 DVD players, sky box (old style), large Sony rec/amp, center speaker. Still room for one more box similar in size to (say) sky box.

Its been a few days since I got the set, and overall, I can't fault it. I have never seen any of the artifacts/problems as reported elsewhere in this topic. The worst picture I have seen has been on a few of the 'off beat' sky channels, and those have always been poor quality pictures. Even the Coronation Street pictures, which others have said are bad, have in fact been very good. I*may* have seen a very brief 'oilpainted' face, once, during the recent Impossible Mission 2 (ITV2 I think), but it was over so fast that I may have imagined it - I specifically try to see all these faults/glitches and maybe my imagination forced that one. I have not seen *any* picture faults/glitches on any DVD at all. Just pure viewing pleasure :)

15. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It worked - what else could I do - I would have needed to have waited a whole 2 hours for assistance otherwise :)

16. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I know, I know..........Just having to wait until I'd built the stand nearly killed me. I played safe lifting the unit though...... I got my 3 year old daughter to help :thumbsup:

17. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine on Saturday !

It's bloody massive isn't it. Mrs Fugitive is only just speaking to me now !

I'm very pleased with everything about the Tosh. Picture quality is very impressive on most things. It does highlight poor quality pictures but is worth it for even terrestrial feeds. I couldn't believe how good the quality of the picture even on 'Who wants to be a millionaire' was last night.

I haven't seen any ghosting (bu I did upgrade my cables), no rainbows, no fan hum, no whine, no geometry problems, no dead pixels, no problems at all....it's big though innit ?

Oh...and I got my daughter to help me put it on the stand as well !

18. givecredit

givecredit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

19. bitmapped

bitmapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To all you Tosh 52 owners, can you comment on the VERTICAL VIEWING ANGLE of the 52WM48P?

Is it good or bad, like how is it if you're standing in front? How does it compare to the Sagem or Samsung DLPs, as far as vertical angle is concerned?

20. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Vertical viewing angle

I can oly say that I need to walk up to within about 1m for the picture to become totally unusable. If I stand up from my normal seated position the picture does 'dim' a little, but still perfectly viewable. Close to the floor (say kids playing there) the picture is still as good as normal. My normal seated postition is about 3.5m away from set. Other seating positions (as close as 2m) are OK with picture perfectly viewable. One position where chair is less than 1m in front but also 1m to side, is marginal (if you lean back in that chair the picture dims badly).

Overall, if someone is watching the TV, they are seated and all is OK. I've not had people walking around and still wanting to watch the TV other than a glance from time to time and it is OK on those occasions.

I can only compare with my previous Sony KL50W2 set which lasted about 8 1/2 years without 'positional' problems. The Toshiba 52" would be slightly better than it in this respect.

21. bitmapped

bitmapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are standing, at what point does it dim?

I saw the set at Costco but it was on top of a platform, nor on normal position, so difficult to judge.

Does it having viewing angle on the specifications sheet? If so, what is it?

Thanks.

22. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Les pretty much covered it in his post. If you are standing within a couple of feet of the tv then it gets dim. The only other large dlp I saw was the Samsung and it was exactly the same.

Why are you so worried about it ?

These sets aren't designed to be watched from above within a few feet. If you are at seated height then you get pretty good coverage all round.

23. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    anyone fed the tosh with some hd demo footage from a PC? how's it look?

thanx

24. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  25. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Could any of you tosh owners tell me the expected bulb life please.

Thanks

Paul

26. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
  27. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  29. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the german toshiba site it says 10.000 hours, so that's not too shabby!

30. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601