1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 510 or Sony DVPNS900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by conington, May 22, 2002.

1. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm still looking at replacing my aged LG 3350 DVD player, I had ordered the Tosh 510 but cancelled at the last minute due to Webelectricals not delivering on Saturdays (and not being clear on whether stock was available). I have now been distracted by the Sony DVPNS900, this is priced at £330 from Webelectricals (£70 more that the Tosh 510).

Can anyone offer me advice on whether the £70 would be worth spending when comparing with the Toshiba?

I use an external Yam amp and a RP TV (56" Toshiba).

Many thanks

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depends if you want SACD playback or not...

3. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not really interested in SACD (this is just for music?).

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then go for the Tosh - you can't fault Tosh picture quality, and remember with the Sony you'll be paying for an SACD DAC which you won't use, as well as a more versatile lens (or a second lens) which probably costs a little bit more.

With the Tosh you're getting DVD-A playback which you won't necessarily use, but like I said I've never seen a Tosh DVD that wasn't outstanding in terms of AV. If you want a player that does music then consider the Sony!

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, there's probably little to choose between them for video so the Tosh would be the better bet. If you play CD's on your DVD then the Sony may be worth the extra in the long run.