1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 510 - Audio problems again

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Splinter, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my Tosh DVD player is giving me a headache again, a couple of months ago I had a similar problem where I was only hearing the music and sound effects from my DVDs and no speech through Scart and no sound at all through my coaxial lead.
    -----------

But Now the sound is ok through my Scart but I'm hearing no speech through my coaxial lead using my Denon 3802 amp. Jase kindly helped me out last time telling me to switch the audio out on the players setup menu to "bitstream" which worked - but this time it doesn't.

Basically I hear all the music and sound effects and the speech sounds very muffled and most the time I can't hear it. If I switch the amp to stereo I hear it like normal - it only seems to be a problem when trying to listen to it in Dolby Digital, Dolby PLII etc on the amp.

I called Toshiba Tech support and they reckon a fault and as I'm out of warranty will need to have it repaired. So I thought I'd just ask here to see if anyone thinks otherwise. Cheers!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Has anyone played about with the channel level settings for Dolby, PL2 etc on the amp at all? Sounds like the centre channel level is too low. If not, then try an amp reset just in case it's thrown a wobbler. Hold down the STEREO & DIRECT buttons whilst turning the POWER ON, hold all buttons for a few seconds and the display will flash. Make sure you write down ALL your speaker delay distances, channel levels, digital assignments etc before you do this as they will all be reset to the default setting.

Hopefully this will cure it. :)

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Another thing might be to actually check that the centre channel speaker is working properly. You can do this just by swapping it with one of the main left or right speakers.

4. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Jase, I'll run through what you suggest above and let you know in a bit.

5. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i'm felling like a right idiot at the moment :blush: :rolleyes:

If you hadn't had said anything about the centre speaker I probably would have never checked but I put my hand round the back to check all was ok and the cabling came away in my hands!

I guess the screw style speaker connectors have just come loose over time - maybe the excessive vibrations from my Velodyne had something to do with it as the centre is sitting on the floor.

Anyway thanks Jase I wouldn't have checked the centre if you hadn't said anything, it never crossed my mind - I'm feeling studpid and pleased at the same time!

Having a similar problme before just made me think it was the DVD player's fault again.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    These things happen! Glad it was just that and not something more serious. :)