1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 46WM48P from Costco - 3 Year Warranty or not

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Systems Jambo, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Systems Jambo

Systems Jambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Have finally got my insurers to pay out £1,200 for my old Sony KP41-DS1 iDTV and was looking to buy the Tosh as a replacement. Was in Costco in Glasgow today and was told that the set would not come with the 3 year warranty. Do I need to just try Edinburgh and chance my arm there as see if I can get it.

I would be greatful to hear from other owners who have purchased this set from Costco to see who did, and did not get the extended warranty.

Now got to look forward to Xmas day with a 20" TV in the livingroom. Boo hoo.

2. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    First off are you a costco member??? If you are and dont already know that costco has a policy that says that if you are not fully happy with your purchase you can take it back.....there is no timeline on this policy!!! when i bought my tosh thru costco leeds on the sticker it said 3 yrs but when going thru the cash out they said there was not one on it...I spoke to the manager who told me that costco will even take a product back in 5 years if you are not happy with it (its there policy as long as you stay a member)!! well this sounded good but where they just trying to get rid of me? So i phoned one or two other costco's to see what was said and the exact same thing was repeated over and over and that the policy is advertised in costco near membership areas!!
    hope this helps
    and by the way costco really is that easy to return stuff just take it back they dont even ask any questions or see if it works they just take your word for it!!

3. Systems Jambo

Systems Jambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes, I am a member. I joined when the Edinburgh branch first opened 6 or 7 years ago but let it lapse as I wasn't using it. Now have a young son a find that I go through nappies at a considerable rate so rejoined 2 years ago. I have never had to return anything to them so was unaware of this policy. Has anyone returned electrical goods outwith the warranty period and experienced this customer care?

Think I'll now wait and see what the sales bring, but the Tosh from Costco is still top of my list.

4. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    same ere, ive been a costco member since 97. got a full refund on a photcopier i ourchased of em after after it broke down 2 years later. was totaly suprised at the time.

5. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there all,
    I went into the Thurrock Lakeside one today and spoke to them. Interestingly enough, even though the chap knew the Projector when he saw the Tosh I meant , he confirmed it was only a q year warranty. My impression was that there are different warranty periods for Projector TV's as he had to check WHICH one. Must admit, the chap straight away said, just bring it back with the box upto a year if you have any problems and we will exchange it for a new one.
    Price in Costco is £1586 inclusive of VAT.

6. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The Tosh DLP set and Plasmas only have a 1 year warranty at Costco. I also checked with the head office at Watford. They don't offer a repair service on them so just replace them up to 12 months or give you your money back.
    If you could take stuff back at any time so long as you stay a member, sort of defeats the object of offering a warranty at all? Why bother? I have been a member since 1995. Double check yourself if you like, the phone No. for Watford H.O. is 01923 225449.
    I have found 3-5 yr warranty packages from independant insurers for approx. £250-300 on the web for this type of set.

7. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    so really you are calling me a liar????
    i have been a costco member since 1993 in nanaimo canada so know what there policy is like i use to buy computers and take them back to get the latest one!!! and have taken many things back here with no problems at all!!!even outside of warranty....i would not recomend them like i do if it was just BS!!!!!!

8. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hello Welsh113. Merry Christmas to you.
    No Iam not calling you a liar. Obviously we have been given conflicting information by different stores, (W.Thurrock & Watford for me). I want the information relayed by you to be correct and for mine to be wrong as that benefits all of us Costco members. However I want to get the definative facts so as not to cause any embarassment or mis-conceptions when returning goods in the future if necessary to do so.
    I'll write a letter to them next week to try and get a statement in writing from them.

9. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Well..........being the first person to buy this set from Costco in Mid November - I was told (and wrote on reciept) - that it was a 3yr gtee.

Just to be doubly sure I went into Costco Chadderton, Oldham (just across the road from me) - and saw The Tosh on display there covered with 3 yr free warranty stickers on the set and the display card.

Quick photo with my camera phone and roberts your uncle!

Dave, Oldham.

10. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    My brother told me today that he's joined Costco!

So we're going to travel up to the Watford store sometime this week. Hurrah!!

I hope they've got the Tosh on display there, as I've only seen pics of it so far.

Can't wait.

T.

11. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    OK so how do the rest of us non members become members??

12. Systems Jambo

Systems Jambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like we still don't have that definitive answer. Think I'll pop into Edinburgh store tomorrow with my digital camera and see whats what. I'll let you know how I get on.

13. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only speak of my own experience.
    I had a Sony VCR which broke down 3yrs & 2 months after I bought it. To my knowledge it only had a 12mths warranty? I was going to throw it away.
    I went back to Costco to buy another but got talking to one of the senior shop floor guys just by accident & after I mentioned it he said just bring it back. I did as he said & the refunds desk just refunded the full amount without batting an eyelid. The original purchase details were on their system so they knew how old it was etc.

14. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW my best recent puchase was a Panasonic DMRE55EBS for only £163 on offer & I made it multi region for £23.50 thanks to http://www.dvdchips.co.uk/

16. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I went with my brother today, to the Costco store at Watford, and saw the Tosh 46" in the flesh for the first time.

Absolutely fantastic pics on it!

They were playing Garfield The Movie on it via DVD - funny thing is - the set next to it - a Sony LCD RPTV was playing Star Wars - yet all the kids were sat around the Tosh on the floor - and I don't think it was the moive drawing them in, it was the pq/sound. Shame the Tosh wasn't on its stand, but I got the general idea!

Thats certainly the best DLP pic I've seen so far.

Now thinking of waiting for the 52" to get a look at that before I make the decision to get one!

T.

17. westli1

westli1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all you Costco members... How much is the Tosh in Coscto (incl VAT)?

The other very important question, is how big is it in all it's packaging? Do you reckon it will fit in a golf with the seats down? I don't want to pay for it then get stranded in the car park! :laugh:

18. Muffminer

Muffminer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Im not a costco member or know the price. But one things for sure you'll never get it in the back of a golf, box is huge.

19. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Price is £1580 incl vat........

Got mine home (in box) i n a Nissan Primera with seats down (just!) - we looked a bit like Max and Paddy when they got that Plasma!

But ask Costco to take it out of the box if you like - that way it should fit in - they have done this with a few rptv's I have had from them.

Just be careful driving home!

Dave, Oldham.

20. westli1

westli1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, I'll try and borrow a van or something. Wouldn't feel happy moving it without the box...

21. cola

cola
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I asked when I bought mine (Costo in Reading) what the Warranty period was, and the customer services person in the store said 3 years no quibble. So I really hope that this is the case! (She knew I was talking about the TV - unless she was blind as the box is MASSIVE)

Cheers,

Andy.

22. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sent the e mail below to Costco's membership services at their HO in Watford.

The reply confirmed that the Toshiba DLP set only had a 12 month warranty. This also applied to Plasma. I can't cut and paste it because of the confidentiality and re-distribution clause from Costco, but if you send me an e mail I will give you details of who to contact to get your own confirmation. If I get one I will certainly consider taking out an independant extended warranty.

"Hello Costco,
    Would it be possible to clear up a query over warranty
    on a TV? You stock a 46" Toshiba DLP TV model 46WM48. I have been told
    instore at Thurrock that this set has a 12 month warranty only. Is this the
    case as I thought your electrical goods carried a 3 year warranty? I have
    been looking at various comments about Costco and this set on
    www.avforums.com (thread - Costco 3 year warranty), and there seems to be
    conflicting information given to other Costco members from other branches.
    Kind regards
    Phil - Membership No."

***********************************************************************************

CONFIDENTIALITY / DISCLAIMER NOTICE

This communication contains information which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Costco Wholesale UK Ltd. If you have received this communication is error please notify us by e-mailing the author or by telephoning (01923 213113) and then delete the communication and any copies of it. This communication is from Costco Wholesale UK Ltd whose registered office is at UK Home Office, Hartspring Lane, Watford WD25 8JS, England.

***********************************************************************************

23. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just seen the set in Costco Leeds, they had a couple left. It did have a 3 year warranty sticker on it. Nice set and good PQ to say it was running a terrestrial feed of ITV. Just got to convince the wife!!!

24. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Right can we let this drop now.

Its defo 3 years warranty for this tv.

I asked again in Chadderton, Oldham store and they confirmed as well - just take a pic with your phone if you have any worries.

Dave, Oldham.

25. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone join Costco? as I recieved an E-Mail back from them when I enquired, and you either have to be in business or hold a very high profile position! i.e Doctor, lawyer etc. Is everyone on here who is a member in business or very highly qualified?
    Thanks
    Jim

26. palmman50k

palmman50k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to say that I popped into Costco Watford yesterday as I am very keen (i.e. desperate!) to get this set, funds permitting, to check it out. I asked what the stock situation on it was and the supervisor said they had 8 left (one sold that day) and that 4 more were coming in after that. Further than that he wasn't sure, as it depended on how well it sold (i.e. as it is so big, if it doesn't sell quickly, they won't get anymore), so if you want one from there, I'd suggest that you go and buy it ASAP (just leave one for me :thumbsup: )
    I also asked about the 3 year warr. and he said it was 3 years, so I think that it just depends on who you ask. Having said that, over two years ago I bought my Dad a Panasonic DVD HTIB that the DVD tray broke on. I took it back and they gave me back my money!!! I also took back something I had bought for my father-in-law over a year ago that he hadn't got round to using (a Snooper speed camera detector thing) and again they just refunded me!!
    I think that even if someone says one year, you will probably be fine (but don't quote me :) )
    Anyway, I need to take my wife in there to see it (yes it is a shame it isn't on the stand, and also that they are only displaying the DVD picture thru the composite video input on the side, and not via RGB scart or component).
    For those that aren't members, it is worth joining. If you don't qualify, find someone who is a member and offer to pay the fee for an additional member (I joined under my business as a sole trader [I'm VAT registered which I think is one of their criteria] and got a card for my sister-in-law as if she was a member of my staff...). Sometimes their prices are WAY below other places, and on electrical stuff, if they are the same, or a bit more, the 3 year warranty is the clincher (as well as there whole overall policy as mentioned). But be aware they do not stock everything from every manufacturer and sometimes they are a lot more expensive, so you do need to check around (it's a shame that John Lewis won't price match against them :thumbsdow )
    Best go now...

27. westli1

westli1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the TV had a "3 year warranty" sticker on it, I would have taken a photo and bought it this morning. I was told it's 3 years warranty on CRT's and 1 year on all other (plasma, RP).

Given the only hard evidence is this email that Spyro has saying it is 1 year, I'm going to have to trust that.

28. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ever thought the person who wrote the email was wrong?

It seems almost everybody else is saying 3 years - apart from that one person that wrote the email.

Dave, Oldham.

29. MBS

MBS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would bring this thread back to life.
    Just bought a Samsung LCD TV from Costco, got to say I am impressed with the service so far. There is a three year guarantee and as mentioned earlier in this thread they will take any product back if you are unhappy with it as long as you remain a member.

Who needs John Lewis.... I found their Under Sales department a tad rude to say the least. It is getting more and more difficult to get John Lewis to price match, they will go to great lengths to get out of offering a PM

30. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Welsh113,
    Suspect it people like you that have forced Costco to review their returns policy on computers
    "(Effective 6th January 2003, Costco Wholesale's desktop and notebook computer return policy is six months from the date of purchase. After six months from the date of purchase, all services and technical support will be subject to the applicable remaining manufacturer's warranty)."