Tosh 46WM and Pana S97 test tonight

maidstoneman30s

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi there all,
Well got my S97 this afternoon, but didnt get time to set it up til gone 10pm. Once I and the wife had a play with the setup menu's of the DVD Player and reading the manual, we started a few DVD's to see what its like.
The HDMI is sending the Video and Audio directly to the TOSH, although i will try the Optical output to my Amp at the weekend.

GLADIATOR
started from beginning to 3:16 and gone past the battle. WWWWWOOOOOOWWWWWW, the colours, the depth, brilliant. CLOSE UPS of the German Shepherd dog, phenominal.

Skipping to the Gladiator fights in the Coloseum. What i had thought was good on my old Panasonic A350 DVD, just got better, CLOSE UPS again are fantastic. Colours are so true, which i had nor the wife, never seen before.

At the end where he illusions that he is going into the life byond, opening the gate, seeing his old house , wife and child, aaaweeessoooommmmeee.

FINDING Nemo
Seems that my old Panasonic A350 handled it quiet well, UNTIL you see the parents mucking about inside the errrmmm, u know, their living space. What i thought were small bubbles are indeed flake skin bits. The smaller details in this film are highlighted to their best ability. AGAIN WWWOOOOOWWWW

DEEP BLUE - BBC Sea life documentary DVD
I bought this DVD as it was recommending the stunning film taken by several cameras for BBC, documenting all types of Sea life. I havent watched it completely, but the first 10 minutes, especially with the killer whales are truly gobsmacking. The waterspray and waves in general are so clean and true.

Well after a little taster tonight, I am realllllyyy pleased with the S97. The menu of the player offers a variety of changes, even allowing for different TV's such as CRT, plasma, LCD projector, standard projector etc etc etc.
you can play back in 625,750 or 1125.
There are so many options to play with, which i shall have a real go at.

This was a multiregion buy from Digital direct at £250, and after having been told theres no HDMI cable included, i found it does come with a standard HDMI cable. I wonder if the PROFIGOLD HDMI cable will improve the viewing experience even more.

I simply am astounded and like a kid again.

Maidstoneman30s

great news,...glad your pleased :D Pixmaina still havent sent my sammy, so might have to woner up the high street in the morning...

Del

BTW, I shall try and take a pic, with my 5 Million Pixel camera of some Gladiator scenes. Any one that wants a particular screen shot, please let me know. Of course this is going to be a minimised kb file size on the avforums server, but i hope that it will still highlight the image quality of the S97 HDMI to the tosh.
Saying that, i will PAUSE the film first and consider if the paused image is worth taking or not, as sometimes paused images can look worse than actually playing.

Maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s said:
BTW, I shall try and take a pic, with my 5 Million Pixel camera of some Gladiator scenes. Any one that wants a particular screen shot, please let me know. Of course this is going to be a minimised kb file size on the avforums server, but i hope that it will still highlight the image quality of the S97 HDMI to the tosh.
Saying that, i will PAUSE the film first and consider if the paused image is worth taking or not, as sometimes paused images can look worse than actually playing.

Maidstoneman30s

:thumbsup: well while your offering how about doing 1 pic from opening battle a darker scene and 1 from the collesuem :D
:beer:

Yes, i saw a blur, but very slightly, and i did concentrate purely on Russel's face. Imho i doubt i would have noticed it if i had looked at the overall scene. Again, i had other scenes in the battle which had blurring, but have dissapeared on the S97 player,

maidstoneman30s.

I shall take some images this evening of the battle and the coluseum fight.

Maidstoneman: So are you saying that the panny has actually improved the blurring at 3:16 and the other blurring that you were experiencing during the battle scenes prior to the panny have actually dissapeared altogether?

Nice one Maidstone, knew you'd be happy, like me. Doesnt it look nice with the blue light too & transparent tray with blue tinge is a nice touch - god, starting to sound like the wife :laugh:

He He got my panny and tosh today, wow....sort of, i too watched eastenders tonight, bloody awful....Xbox 110% wow+WOW....DVDs....still not sussed any good DVDs to try.....and wow aint the tosh big...??? lol

Stay tuned for more.....house is in a right state....will write more if ya intrtested!!

Dwel

hmmm, eastenders was awful hey... u talking about the picture quality or the storylines:)

Where u watching BBC 1 via sky digital or a normal aerial?

Somes pics wud be great.... still waiting 4 maidstoneman too post his pics, he is prob 2 busy watching dvds now, dont blame him:)

how bad is the pic quality from sky?? any pics would do, just something to drool on:)

Eastenders thro sky.....gotta be honest, was terrible.....but I think i need to sit down ad sus out all the settings, also, as i read on here someone, this set is so much bigger than i expected, in the house anyway, @ comet looked small, while large not xxl lol...glad i didnt buy the sagem, for screen size if nothing else...TBH, apart from this gladitor thing, i THINK :D its all down to source, from what i can tell at the moment, as the nights going on im getting used to the size of the thing...will post some pics tomorrowz...also heard a rumour about tosh today, funny really, will tell ya when i got more time...

Del

PS Love the blue effect on the Panny S97, and the way the tray glows when its open...

Can any 46WM48 owner please please please do me a massive favour and provide me with the overall dimensions of the TV on the supplied stand. Been trying to get the answer from Tosh with no success (can only provide the TV form factor, NOT inc the stand), and I have no retail outlet within 60 miles of home.

Gazza999 said:
Can any 46WM48 owner please please please do me a massive favour and provide me with the overall dimensions of the TV on the supplied stand. Been trying to get the answer from Tosh with no success (can only provide the TV form factor, NOT inc the stand), and I have no retail outlet within 60 miles of home.

Stand Height 400mm (making overall height 1200mm) width, same as TV ie 1350mm

Note, you'll need to add a couple of inches to width, not because of stand but becasue of scarts etc.. My amp sits flush at front & sticks out about 4 inches at rear + all the cables

From wall to front of TV in my house 580mm !!

sorry its so late, been watching DVD's all evening. Gladiator pic should be up in 10 minutes.

maidstoneman30s

Top bloke, will now carry out the essential measure-up exercise to see if the monsters gonna fit!!

:thumbsup:

Hi there guys, sorry i have only just done it. was watching more awesome HDMI DVD's.
You can see the orange tinge as background. I deliberately left the lighting in the living room to low on a single stand uplighter. I also, did NOT use a flash, for fear of flash intruding onto the pics.
I have taken the pics with maximum resolution on a 5 Million Pixel Minolta camera, but have found that due to the av forums website server, and scaling down to 50kb file size the images were somewhat affected.

Keep the pic small and it gives you the best result.

I shall also try taking some more pics tomorrow with the daylight, as that will be the most natural light onto the screen.
Hope these inspire some people.

PS. Although some DVD experts might argue that its still not the best HDMI, i must say that for £259 for a multiregion HDMI player, I am verrryyyyy pleased

maidstoneman30s

please note, the DVD was in pause mode on all those pics, and one or two i had to get as best as possible in still shots before taking the pic, so if you see a slight blur its the camera movement.

In real life these images look 640000 dollars worth.

maidstoneman30s

Attachments

• 2589.jpg
    2589.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 2590.jpg
    2590.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 2591.jpg
    2591.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 2592.jpg
    2592.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 2593.jpg
    2593.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 116
Madestone!! if you want to send me the full size pics ill host them for you and post links.

Good idea phunt
I think we need to see these in all their 5 megapixel glory to do the set up any justice.
I also have spare webspace and bandwidth if needed

Sounds like a good idea.
Let me first try and get some more pics of the same DVD pause, in natural light today.
Would like to see the difference on the pics.
I will email those over to you both as soon as I have them.

Maidstoneman30s

Ok! here are some pics of superbit Black Hawk Down,But they do not do it justice at all as the camera is a 3 year old 1.5 million pixel antique lol.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

very nice pics there, looks top quality. Could u post some pics of some sky channels, im sure every1 would love to see the differences, cheers

Phunt have you tried i robot or Cradle to the grave 2. Both are excellent dvds to demo.

phunt said:
Ok! here are some pics of superbit Black Hawk Down,But they do not do it justice at all as the camera is a 3 year old 1.5 million pixel antique lol.QUOTE]

still looks fantastic phunt :clap: antique camera or not :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom