Tosh 46 wm 48 ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Duts001, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Duts001

Duts001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have been looking around for a new TV. Looking at 42" plasma tv's but for our money it seams we can get a tosh 46wm48 with a better picture quality and HDTV ready. I walked into a store at lunchtime to be told I didn't want to buy a rear projection tv.

1 The lamp replacement costs
    2 screen burn
    3 viewing angle
    4 lamp dulling over time, with the centre of the screen looking brighter than the sides because of the lamp.
    5 old technology

With all this I am now confused about buying this tosh, or going for a HD compatible LG or Samsung plasma :lease: . Any advice would be appreciated.

2. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,125

i would totaly ignore all the comments you where told :rolleyes:
    ,they may be true with old rear projection tv's but not the current sets of dlp,
    the tosh though a certain amount of people cant get on with(if you go through some of the older posts you will see) ,but other people including my self love the sets and another thing it is a discon model now.
    the other two you mention have some good sets as well ,so the best thing is get out there and see whats right for you :thumbsup:

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,460
    1: True, but probably only after 5 - 8 years' use (depending on the TV and your usage pattern, and could be even longer....
    2: Drivel as regards DLP and LCD rear projectors.
    3: You can find this out for yourself. They do tend to be a bit limited in the vertical plane.
    4: Possibly, but I've never seen evidence. My first rear projector (a Sony 3LCD job) is now 7 years old, on it's original lamp, in the care of a relative, and is not doing this.
    5: DLP is new technology. 3LCD is older, but has seen significant advances in the last few months.

4. Duts001

Duts001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,
    we will carry on looking I dont want to buy a discon model, things are moving so fast nowdays. We have about £1200 max to spend and would like to get the best picture/size for our ££££ Any suggestions on what to go for? Samsung PS42V6S had a good picture, HD compat or LG 42" 3RV? I think. The picture did not look as good as the Samsung for some reason again it is HD compat. Any ideas for other TV's either plasma or DLP we have ruled out LCD.

5. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    The best thing for you to fo is take a run to Currys or Comet etc. Have a look at the TVs' in action and report here the models you like for further advice.

I agree completely with the other guys here. COMPLETELY ignore what they sales person told you. It is absolute garbage. Plasmas suffer from burn in. Also, BOTH Plasmas and LCDs deteriorate themselves in quality over a few years. Yes a bulb obviously costs to replace but you can restore your TV back to it's almost new state. You don't have this with Plasma/LCD.

There are quite a few reason why I chose a RPTV over any of the others. Here are some reasons.

LCD - Jiddery movement and smearing problems on all but the VERY top models that cost a fortune. I even noticed it on some of these too.
    Contrast isn't great.

Plasma - Screen Burn, noise (on most models), VERY expensive power consumption. Poor resolution on Plasmas under £1,500. Fewer connections available.

Honestly, the sales guy is totally talking out of his rear end. Ask him what D L P stands for and how the Technology works? I bet he doesn't have a clue!

I was in a Currys store only a few weeks ago and after telling the sales guy of my dilema (either SP46 or Sony 50A12) he told me that most people go for Plasmas because they are 'dull and old technology'. Exactly what you were told! He lost a sale of around £1,500 cuz I deciced I was going to buy it somewhere else.

Also, he told me the resolution wasn't good enough for HDTV even though both sets had 'HD READY' in big posters all over them! they talk absolute garbage. Make your own mind up or ask on this forum. Don't let them make it up for you...

6. Charlie999

Charlie999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm extremely pleased with my Toshiba 46" DLP which I've had for nearly a year. The picture quality beats anything else I've seen across the range from SKY+ to True High Definition. I very occasionally see a rainbow - but only on low quality feed and this only occurs about once a month. It works brilliantly as a PC monitor too via the VGA input. No-one else in the house has ever noticed a rainbow. I guess some people see them more than others but its not an issue for us. Just ordered another DLP set for the front room. I'd have got another Toshiba except it is too big to fit in an alcove. The sound on this set is also quite excellent.

I nearly spent £5K on a top of range LCD - until I spent half an hour studying the picture in Alders. LCD has got serious jitter on movement that DLP just doesn't exhibit.

7. Duts001

Duts001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All your advice has been great, reading though the threads there seems to be a love it hate it relationship with the Tosh. We haven't decided yet what to go for. Even though the 46wm48 is discon I am changing my mind and now edging towards it. In the store the pic was great. We can get one on the net for £1000 delivered. I think we will be hard pushed to find a set that is as good for the price, our local store wants £1650 no way!!!
    It's hard for us to judge what set to get as we are restricted in what we can view. We live in Guernsey and the choice is just not there. Can't pop down to Comet for a quick look. The local stores are mostly too expensive and lack choice!!!

8. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Well, be prepared to own the biggest TV in Geurnsey. Hope you don't mind the neighbours watching from the outside window :)

9. Duts001

Duts001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well took the wife out today,doesn't happen often. Only joking, love her really :) , ended up buying the LG 42PX3RVA. She liked the picture, was worried about getting the Tosh shipped from the UK. Damage, if things go wrong etc...
    We ended up paying £1284 with a £220 glass stand thrown in. Not literally I hope. Being delivered on Tuesday. Any advice about setting up etc... to get the best picture set up. Sorry all you RPTV fans, just couldn't take the chance.

10. Charlie999

Charlie999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LG 42PX3RVA according to a spec I've just read only has a resolution of 852x480. That means it can display less detail than the first colour TV that went on sale in the UK about 40 years ago which had 625 lines (576 actually displayed I think) rather than 480.

Whilst the set may well be able to display Hi Definition pictures via its HDMI input - they simply cannot be in High Definition if the spec I read is correct.

Once you see true HDTV it just amazes you. You will not be able to see it with a set that only has a resolution of 852X480 which is still what the majority of Plasmas can do.