1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 46 pic probs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by supermackem, Mar 17, 2005.

1. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Im getting some really bad pic problems on my toshiba when movment happens on screen. I put it down to sky but this happends now thru my dvd player and my xbox. Its like the picture distorts when movemtn happens its really bugging me now. Ive had about 2 and half weeks whats the score on a replacement should i demand they drop off a new one beofre i let the take this one.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I would otherwise you would be with out a set and in my experiance returns are never straight forward. Where did you purchase the set from?

3. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Digital point mate.

4. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,430

Yep, tell'em to drop off a new one when picking up your old one. I made this mistake and i am still paying for it !! :rolleyes:

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i was a kid they used to have a picture of the houses of parliment on BBC1 whenever there wasn't any programmes being broadcast your set would have been allright for that :devil:
    I would rather watch a portable TV with a good picture than a large one with a bad one.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Sorry I have no experiance with these suppliers. Good luck anyway, I hope you get it swapped asap. Nothing like having your pride and joy not working properly.

7. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wouldn't bother M8, 99% sure the replacement set will have the same problem! I have the Tosh 46", and experience problems with skin tones and panning blur, however i can live with it as its not all of the time, and the positives still outweigh the negatives, i.e., generally a fantastic picture, beautiful faultless colours, HDCP compliant HDMI, NTSC playback, 46" screen, and all for the low price of £1500.00! I believe other Tosh owners, and indeed other DLP owners with different brands, have also expressed there dissapointment with PQ on skin tones and panning, although i have read somewhere on these forums that the Optoma doesn't have this problem, but then again they do have the NTSC playback problem, so unfortunately whatever model you have at this moment in time, your going to have some sought of problem with it - a little bit longer in the oven and i reckon we'll have the perfect DLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a demo in Comets last night of the Toshiba 46 the picture from the TV feed was very poor & looked worse than the other sets around it with the same feed. I would never judge a set on a Comet TV feed as they are so bad.
    They then connected a DVD player using a scart lead & i watched a fight scene from Matrix Reloaded it was outdoors in sunshine & had plenty of fast movement & close ups of faces some of which were slow motion.
    The overall picture quality was bad no detail in the blacks picture not sharp enough,
    maybe a very good DVD player through HDMI would give an aceptable picture?
    The worst thing about the picture by a country mile was people's faces & i am talking closeups with no panning or fast movement they were blurry lacked detail ,shiny faces very unnatrual looking. I do not think any DVD player or scart lead could improve the skin tones to an acceptable level.
    I shudder to think what Corrie or East Enders looks like on this set.
    Everybody unless their name is Rip Van Winkle is familiar with good picture quality we've had it for years & most of us probably still own an old fashioned CRT telly where peoples faces look real.
    Anybody who is happy with this set stay away from the opticians.

Soni the Optoma is fine with :r1: if you use a PC

9. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have to say I have never seen what your talking about. For me the only skin tone problems are slight, usually some blurring on close ups out of focus in the near frame when panning. Mine is connected to Sky+ with a great picture and the PC. I have A 19" DVI monitor sat running next to it and the skin tones look very close at the same resolution. And I'm not blind. I was just watching "Chronicles of Riddick" from a ripped divx and you can see every pimple on his big ugly bald head and the skin tones are spot on.

10. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mrmoo
    they say a picture is worth a 1000 words & your picture shows what i am talking about very well. :suicide:

11. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've got a 1000 words for you. :rolleyes:

Which one is the monitor and which is the TV?

Maybe its your eyes? :suicide:

12. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They both look really bad why don't u post one that shows a natural looking face on your Tosh try Matrix reloaded if you have it as that is what i saw in Comet.
    I am not trying to wind anybody up i am only saying what i see.

13. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    St ve - Do you think your set blows the others you demo'd out of the water?

I'm tempted to get an RD50 and will be running a newly build HTPC.

Don't suppose you know the best price around for one of these?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic.

14. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sorry don't have it. And the moving images look like perfectly good examples in the flesh, if you'll excuse the pun.

Here is a screen capture. To make my point that you can only do so much with 120K and a camera. Plenty of skin tones there??

I still think the TV is doing a good job, the definition is ok a bit of halo on the high contrast to the back of his head

15. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i do unless you can set them up at home a hell of a lot better than Comet do.
    Why don't u pop into Comet & get a demo of the tosh46 witha DVD player & check the faces.If they don't look as good as on the CRT sets showing normal TV you should give the Optoma RD50 a try .Take along a PC so you can check out the Region One problem.
    For advice on demo'ing with a PC see link
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1541480&postcount=17
    I did demo a Sagem 50" in December with DVD & the picture was quite good but it had less contrast than the RD they used a scart lead & a cheap DVD player.
    When i first got my RD 50 i used a cheap much older DVD player with a scart lead so it's a fair comparision. Using my PC with DVI & WinDVD6 & the RD50 is the best picture quality i've ever seen .I saw a couple of films on telly that i thought was as good one of them was the Mummy Returns 2 on channel 5 a few weeks ago, i did wonder if they were using a high def version & compressing it.A couple of american TV shows recorded in hidef & shown on Telewest or one of the broadcast channels had very good quality as well.
    I haven't seen any of the Samsungs

16. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mrmoo
    was it you who posted the hidef photos of the Tosh they looked very good.
    but faces seem to be a problem.I'll dig out my son's digital camera & take a close up of a face & post it here later.
    I think the picture you've posted is maybe a poor choice as the face is in heavy shadow & he is sweating which makes the face shiny

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mrmoo here is two pictures of the same image one is cropped tight to the face they were taken off the Optoma RD50 screen from a distance of 5 feet using my son's £130 4MP digital camera they are from a BBC2 wildlife program about the New Forest that was broadcast a few weeks ago. I recorded the program with my freeview digital TV card i have in my PC & i paused the picture to take the shot.At normal viewing distance the picture is perfect.

If you want i can take a photo of a DVD any one in particular you'd like to see
    i havent Chronicles of Riddick but do have around 300 DVDs. :rolleyes:

My picture is a photo not a screen capture which only shows the quality of the graphics card & source material. A screen capture has nothing to do with your DLP set
    The old Lady was from the Flog it program BBC 2 today useing an ariel on the roof & the Optoma's TV tuner it was taken live from my normal viewing distance of 10 feet file size is 111kb the girl is from an advert on ITV3 using telewest from 10 feet taken live file size is 98kb
    Is this one young enough Razor :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Steve nice pic but could you pick a younger model next time.... ;)

19. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    She is better looking than the photo sugests , if you was stood in my front room looking at the screen you would see it is far better as mrmoo said you can only do so much with a 120kb image from a photo. wildlife programs on the BBC can rival good DVD's for picture quality at the right distance.In many respects they are even better than the best DVD's more lifelike almost like what you would see if you was there in person.
    DVD films are more impressive at least the good ones the colours are more vibrant a bit superlifesize & there is a lot less compression so you can watch from a closer viewing distance before you start to see blocking artifacts.

20. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Steve – I think your being a little unfair on the Tosh, and you are certainly biased towards the Optoma. As I said previously, all the current line up of DLP’s have there fair share of problems, and Optoma certainly is no exception. The Optoma MAY NOT (although i havn't heard this from any reliable and unbiased source) have a problem playing NTSC via a PC – but who in their right mind wants a PC sitting next to their TV in the lounge? I certainly wouldn’t and neither would my Mrs. I was originally going to purchase the Sagem (prior to release of the Tosh) but the Mrs didn’t like the look of it, I then tried to persuade her to have the Optoma, and as she said its just as ugly as the Sagem but in a different colour. Now, your either going to say how great your Optoma looks, and how cheap and nasty the Tosh looks, or your going to say that you would rather have something that displays a good picture than something that looks nice in a room, and if that’s your thoughts then all good and well, but the Tosh does a bloody good job in both departments, it displays a FANTASTIC picture and compliments any modern contemporary room, but then again at your stage of life maybe modern and contemporary aren’t your thing, in which case the Optoma is the perfect match – will go lovely with that tartan scarf on your back parcel shelf. Maybe you should be the one visiting the opticians – who knows - you might even have cataracts!

I’ve got the Tosh linked up via HDMI from a Denon 2910 DVD player, and the picture isn’t ‘Acceptable’ its bloody fantastic. You are definitely out of your frigging head if you think the Tosh lacks detail and sharpness, its one of the best out there in that department. Yes it does have problems with the occasional panning shot, and also facial skin tones – but I’ve only noticed the latter on normal feed, and not on DVD’s.

It seems to me that your looking for every opportunity to slate the Tosh, and when mrmoo’s photos were posted you saw this as the perfect opportunity to attempt to convince other forum members that his pictures were exactly what the Tosh’s picture looks like in the flesh – absolute crap! Surely you’re not that stupid to think that every camera will capture a screenshot the same as another, or display it exactly how it is in the flesh. By the time the Camera has internally processed the file into a Jpeg, then the picture has been resized and compressed even further to fit onto this site – you really think the picture is going to be a true resemblance? You must be kidding me. Anyway, just for the record take a look at the following picture – its been internally converted within the camera to JPEG, and then its been reduced/compressed further from 696 KB, to 117 KB to fit on this website, but it should at least go some way to re-establish the Tosh’s reputation.

Furthermore, take a look at the Home Cinema Choice website, they’ve got both reviews of the Tosh and the Optoma, shame the Optoma only gets 4 ½ stars for picture quality whilst the Tosh gets a full 5!.

Get a life and enjoy your Optoma - if you truly do, and let everybody else enjoy his or her decision to! If I wanted an Optoma, I would have bought one, as I’m sure most other Tosh owners would have. At the end of the day, the Tosh, Sammy, Optoma, Sagem, there all in the same league and price range, its not like you’ve got a blinking Loewe or Simm 2 for crying out loud! :boring:

Attached Files:

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    but then again at your stage of life maybe modern and contemporary aren’t your thing, in which case the Optoma is the perfect match – will go lovely with that tartan scarf on your back parcel shelf. Maybe you should be the one visiting the opticians – who knows - you might even have cataracts!

BANG OUT OF ORDER!!!!!!! :thumbsdow

Theres no need for that soni.

What ever steves opinions on a set are you shouldnt make personal coments about him or any other member. Its plain nasty and its just not right mate.

22. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a post earlier on the Samsung thread where i said i loved the modern look of the 50" & gave it 10 out of 10 for looks, see
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1542975&postcount=40
    mrmoo has posted some pictures of a high definition wild life program that were excellent. I posted my comments & gave the pictures 5 out of 5 i am all too aware of how hard it is to take a photo of a DLP set & compress it down to just 120kb so it still looks half decent.
    If you want to know what i think of hifi magazines look at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197086
    The worst fault the tosh suffers from is faces mrmoo can take good photos of the tosh i've seen them but he has not taken a good picture of a face in this thread yet.
    As to your picture soni why did you think that a photo of 2 men their faces shrouded by hoods & with goggles covering half their faces & at sunset or sunrise so the faces look red would be a good subject to show how well the Tosh can do faces.
    Maybe you could take another one of just one face but close up this time.

It would be easy enough for anyone to take their PC along to a dealers & check out the region one playback of the RD50 for themselves.
    I did post about it on the 18th January & nobody has called me a liar yet.

Was that the Optoma RD65 or RD50 if it was the 65 its hardly fair as a comparision
    as the screen is so much larger i think someone told me it got marked down because of the Region One issue.

I only posted my opinion on the Tosh after seeing how bad the faces were on DVD playback. Comet's must be within easy reach of most people so should be easy enough to check out the Tosh with faces if anyone is interested.

The only reason i posted about the Toshiba 46 & the Sagem 45 was to help anyone who is thinking of buying these sets avoid a mistake.
    If anyone wants to check through my posts i think they will find i have been constructive not destuctive.
    This forum is all about people sharing information & is much better than any of the AV magazines. I'm sorry if i have caused offence to anybody
    but i have to stand by what i said.

23. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor soni might have a good point there i do prefer Vinyl records to cd
    Valve amps to solid state
    I'd rather go on a cruise than fly (if i could afford it)
    Anybody know the best place to go for zimmerframes at a good discount as i'm not made of money , my pension only goes so far
    http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/z/zimmerframes.asp :devil:

soni thanks for the info on the review of the Optoma RD65 i thought it came out of it really well considering how much real estate the 1280x 720 mirrors have to cover. I wonder what the Tosh would look like at that size?
    I know Razor has been speaking to John Archer from Home Cinema magazine about the problems he was having with region one playback . I think he's happy with the PC as a solution maybe he ought to let john Archer know the current situation. A PC is only a partial solution because you are absolutely right in that not everyone wants one of those new fangled PC gadgets in the living room not even one of those modern HTPC thingy's you know they are a lot smaller than a PC & maybe not so noisy
    so i have been led to believe that Razor chapie has been nattering on about
    them i don't know what he's talking about half the time but if i just nod my head now & then it seems to keep him happy. The things you young chaps get up to these days. :rolleyes:

24. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey soni: don`t take this too serious, but NEVER LET A WOMAN DECIDE ON TECHNICAL DECISIONS!!!!! :lesson: :p :laugh:

25. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    St_ve you accused me earlier of trying to be clever. I have tried to respond to your off hand comments without derision and as honestly as possible.
    No offence, but I found them obtuse and unwarranted, leave it out mate. :(

My 24/7 viewing opinions have been stated. The set has it share of problems but nothing of the order your would suggest. I am extremely critical of my viewing, but I really don't see anything "like" what your describing. :confused:

The Toshiba is quite capable of displaying good healthy skin tones. Gladiator R2 as he kills the emperor, 5 foot from screen, cropped and reduced to 120k on a cheap old digital camera. :lesson:

26. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I dunno a screene can show you what the source looked like before the image was translated to the real world. Jpeg errors, reflections, its nigh on impossible to take a good picture of a TV image. They look nothing like the one in front of me.

27. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that a screengrab is the best way to show what my DLP set looks like but should allways be with a comment on whether it looks the same as the screengrab or better worse ect.
    When i posted the screengrabs in the thread i started i did not know that it was only the graphics card output. I only started getting an interest in the AV side of things when i saw the Sagem 50 in december in Comets. When i was told be other members of my mistake i checked for myself realised i was wrong & edited any posts of screengrabs i had made by adding
    see
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1431663&postcount=103

28. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mrmoo i reported what i saw in Comet's truthfully as i saw it
    what DVD player & leads were you using?
    here i'm quoting from my post number 8 in this thread
    How about trying the Comet demo with your set yourself & you can let us know how valid it is compared to what you have at home. I'm sure they only used a cheap DVD player & scart lead
    I love the Gladiator film i have the Region one version i will take another picture , i'll try & get the same frame as you did & will post it tomorrow.

29. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Guys - interesting debate :mad: :( :) :D - a bit of passion does spice things up ;)

After much deliberation I opted for the Toshiba over the 50" Samsung. Cost and styling were factors but after months of research it also dawned on me that all these TV's will look fantastic with HD material and good quality SD/DVD. I saw so many demos of the Samsung in stores, which I know is a great set, that ranged from poor to mediocre (even in my local comet where they have now put it centre stage in place of the sagem 50 and hooked it up to a decent player) and the same was true of the Toshiba. What I saw was large screen TV's that are designed to process high quality material in the finest detail being fed crap and they highlighted that crap in fantastic detail!!

Infact the only really impressive set was the Sagem 50. Why? because it was the only one being demoed with HD. Therefore it was an unfair comparison. I've seen impressive images posted for just about every TV and read impressive statements about each too. I've also read about individuals who have slated every set and returned them to the shop for all kinds of reasons - judder, blur, noise, whine, aspect ratio, overscan, failing to switch sources, ntsc, no HDCP, sparkling screens - some sound reasonable some sound plain ridiculous. The only true comparison of these DLP's will be in about 12months time when HD is all the rage and every shop demo's them alongside one another with HD feeds.

Until then, based on feedback from the likes of soni, mrmoo, st_ve and razer I decided to go with a technology that is head and shoulders above the rest, and a TV that has had great reviews by owners and HCC (a mag I respect), has every connection I could ever want, is well and truly future proofed and yes it won't be perfect but it'll still blow away pretty much all the non-DLP competition and hold its own amongst its siblings, and all at a price that I can afford and will allow me to reassess the market place in 2 years time when HD is up and running in the UK.

That's my two pennies worth anyway. And although I think tempers can sometimes rise a little too high its also nice to read a thread with a bit of passion too :smashin: - and some nice pictures :clap: - the worst of which kicks the :censored: out of anything i've seen in store or on my current TV.

Cheers
    KableMan

PS. BTW I'm happy to see screen grabs accompanied with testimonials that say "this it how it looks when I see it in the flesh - promise". I actually think they help people see the potential far more than images that have been through the processing mill - and I'm a software guy by profession so I know how things can be manipulated - but I think people need to have a little faith and enjoy the excitement :thumbsup:

30. -kreep

-kreep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not tryin to fan the flames but...

As per the original post by SuperMakem. I have the Toshiba 46wm48 and I have seen the same problems but only with certain dvd's and in particular the Nintendo Gamecube. The playstation seems to be fine with it... :confused:

Bought and played Resident Evil 4 last night. Great game, great graphics, atmospheric colour (browns, reds and greys) but the TV makes it virtually unplayable because of the panning blur/solorization!

Somebody tell me that a High Def' feed from new games systems (PS3, Xbox2 and Nintendo Revolution or even BlueRay) will cure these problems please!!

It's either that or i'm gonna take a hammer to it!! :mad:

The dvd side of things I can just about live with though...