1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOSH 46" DLP owners

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Elephant Man, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ive just ordered this TV. It will be delivered next week. Im thinking I should cancel as Im reading threads on this forum about jaggies, on out lines on DVD playback. Is this true?

And also does it make a difference not having progressive scan? As I will be using PS2/x-box and a D-VHS player.
    Thanks

Nick

2. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I should to getting my Tosh delivered monday. But I will now cancel it..

I went to Comet in Greenwich to get a proper demo of this TV. I bought along R2 Monsters ball, R1 The Fifth Element and ofcourse my DVD player with scart lead.

Results:

R2 disc I did see jaggies/ zigzags on some outlines on objects, but is wasnt too bad.

R1 NTSC Fifth Element to my horror I witness JERKS, JUDDER. Even to sale rep said OMG.

Total disappointment. I wont be getting a new TV for xmas now. Will wait for the new Sagem after xmas. Also I had JVC D-VHS delivered today, I had to pay £75 in duty and vat :suicide:

I did have my player connected to the Sagem afterwards, there was no problem playing the NTSC disc.

3. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's strange that the Toshiba suffers with the NTSC problem as the RD50.

Unless the set de-interlaces on SCART inputs, I think you will still see jaggies. You need a DVD player outputing progressive through component to reduce this problem.

I had a demo at Greenwich a few weeks back. The Sagem sitting next to the Toshiba had the usual HD demo running which blows away everything else. But when they switched it to the UHF feed, the picture was awful on both sets.... and I started seeing rainbows.

There seems to be a lot of activity in the DLP TV market right now. Despite the disappointment, I think it would be wise to wait another few weeks to see what the next Sagem offering brings. That's my plan anyway!

4. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel, this is the exact opposite to what I saw with the Samsung 50" in Currys. I viewed it in two different stores, one with a DVD via RGB scart (fantastic picture) which is obviously the tv using it's internal line-doubler. I then saw Monsters Inc being played in another store via PS DVD (component connection) and there were horrible jaggies showing. If I hadn't seen the previous DVD picture it would have put me off buying the Samsung DLP.

5. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's interesting. So you reckon the Sagem will de-interlace an RGB SCART signal, but an already PS signal via component looks awful.

I thought the set only had a scaler to increase any signals to 720 lines. Now I'm confused!

I only intend to use a Sagem/RD50 for TV viewing (via Freeview/Tivo) so the NTSC issue doesn't really worry me. I already have an Arcam DV27 with Sony VW11 projector for movies - there is a massive difference in non-PS and PS signals here.

6. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
  7. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My player was set t AUTO when I tested the ntsc disc.

8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The Sagem DLP chip is native 720p, so ALL incoming images have to be de-interlaced and scaled up to 720. The Faroudja chip does this in the Sagem's case. If a cheap prog-scan player is hooked to the set, then the de-interlacing will not be as good as the internal conversion.