1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 46. Component vs HDMI

Discussion in 'TVs' started by costellj, Feb 14, 2005.

1. costellj

costellj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone give me an idea as to why I'm getting a better picture on component rather than HDMI from my Denon 2910. The HDMI is slightly grainy were the component is a lot clearer.

Confused

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    poorer quality cable used for HDMI?

3. costellj

costellj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a brand new 5m cable which is QED Qunex HDMI so I hope not! Any experiance of these cables?

4. GID

GID
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi costellj, me too Im using a denon 2910 picture is v grainy on hdmi,except animation. not sure if its just that the hdmi shows up all the imperfections more than the component. What dvd player you using ?

5. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I would almost gaurantee that that is the reason, its the source. The hdmi cable is pure digital so its showing up tiny imperfections. I had a similar instance this weekend.

I had an old JVC dvd player connected to the tosh by svideo into av3 on the tosh and my girlfriend has been watching sex in the city series 1 dvd's lately and although the quality was quite bad (old series) it was perfectly watchable. Then at the weekend i have bought a toshiba dvd player with component out and progressive scan (so a much better connection/source than the JVC etc) and straight away on the sex in the city dvd i noticed quite bad graining, which wasnt there before with the svid connection. Its just a case of the hdmi connection being 'that' pure and unforgiving its showing up graining. Imo of course

Animation will always look much better than film currently because of the way its created compared to normal film. For example shark tale looks utterly amazing compared to say something recent like i-robot which i think is one of the best quality normal films i have seen.

HDMI demands an exceptionally high quality uncompressed source to really shine, thats what its all about. Probably something like 25+ meg a second.

6. GID

GID
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, just realised you have a 2910 also.

7. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a quicky guys, i also have the 2910 set up via HDMI and the picture is perfect on all dvd's to date. Out of interest, what setting of HDMI output are you using i.e., RGB or y cb cr ??

8. GID

GID
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Soni, Im using y cb cr standard black,standard video settings and 576p, since I get a green tint when I use 720p or 1080i.
    The colour does seem a little washed out and black not quite as deep as with the enhanced setting which is too dark. What settings are you using ?

9. costellj

costellj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Soni our setups are very similar

Tosh 46WM, Denon dvd 2910, amp 2805 and Kef 2005. I'm using y cb cr with 1080i for the HDMI setting

The pictures I get from the component are very similar apart from the slight grain on the HDMI. I will try another source and see what the results are like

Cheers

10. costellj

costellj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gid,

Do you also get the black bars above and below the picture with HDMI which you cannot change via the TV remote picture format options. Component video works fine

11. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Strange that you are reporting green tint on the blacks outputing HDMI y cb cr, i reported this about a month ago when outputting HDMI RGB!

I watched Gladiator, and noticed that the opening scene just after maximus walks through the cornfield (this is a good tester) he looks at a robin, and the shadows around his eyes and chin, are so dark that it makes his eyes look really strange and beady, and also the shadows have a very strong green tint, especially around his chin, but when i switched to HDMI y cb cr, the picture was a lot more colourfull and brigher, some guy over on the DVD section said that the RGB is mainly for projecting text, and that y cb cr should be used for DVD! But i don't notice any difference in the blacks by changing the scaling rate!

12. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good choice M8! :thumbsup: I don't scale to 1080i, i only use 720p, but havn't noticed any grain at all on any blacks to date, and i sit within 8.5 feet of the screen!!

13. electrosim2001

electrosim2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I read this thread with interest as up to now I am using a Tosh DVD player with component out, and I wondered whether it would pay to buy a Denon with HDMI or wait until HDDVD becomes a reality.

I have just watched the first episode of Band of Brothers with the above set-up ( my son gave me a box set for Christmas and I have saved them until I had the new Toshiba TV ) The picture quality is amazing on the HBO DVD.

It seems from reading along the thread that I won't be missing much by not buying the Denon. The TV is very unforgiving if it is presented with bad source material, but when it gets a good source via component, the picture appears almost HD. Perhaps HDMI is better left for HD sources?

One question, regarding the two types of connections, does HDMI lead to better shading? I noticed that some cloud scenes in Band of Brothers were just very occasionally a tad patchy in parts, almost like contour lines on a map.

Thomas.