Tosh 42WT29B owners

S

shaunthedude

I have the Tosh 42WH18B. I love the set but unfortunatley the small fault with it cant be fixed so Currys have agreed to swap it. However they dont have this model in stock anymore. They offered me the 42WT29B instead. I have seen some reviews about this model and the picture is not meant to be very good. Also some people have said that tvs with built in digital decoders have been a pain. Has anyone with this tv got any comments about it, good or bad.

many thanks in advance

shaun

The problem is::: the picture flashes! Not all the time. If you pause the picture (any source) and watch it you can see it flicker. A bit like a camera flash or the brightness going up and down very quickly. It can go for a few weeks without doing it but when it does it is very annoying. Like I said it it easiet to see when you pause the picture. hth. Apart from that i love the set but I cant get another.

Not sure what reviews you're refering to but the ones i've seen don't complain abouthe picture. The WT29 is basically an exact replica of the model before it so the picture quality should be the same.

As for the built in digital decoder I'm loving it, I get bad reception on analogue and get to enjoy crystal clear picture with it. Not sure why people find it a pain. It's there if you want it and doesn't interfere otherwise.

Splinter,

when I spoke to Currys they told me they have had a lot of returned tvs (not just tosh) with built in digital decoders. I asked the engineer this and he said the same. he said quite often channels dissapear from the tvs memory. He said a lot of companies are now scrapping this built in decoder. Thats all i know. as for picture quality, I read on here somwhere in a few posts that the picture on this set was softer than the 42wh18b. Again I cant comment as I aint compared them myself yet.
cheers,

shaun

Ah ok, well I've had no trouble with that myself, I can't pick up all the channels with it as my aerial is about 15 years old but no channels have disappeared so far. If you do lose a channel off the TV's memory you can just hit auto retune which doesn't take long.

My brother has this model, and the first thing I noticed when I watched a digital satelite channel on it was how soft the picture was. I noticed it even sitting far away from the set. And reading hte reviews confirmed this. Reviews said that the picture quality isn't as good as other Toshiba rear projection sets.

BTW - is the IDTV essential? If I buy a set without it, are they the same channels I can get on digital Sky box?

Thanks.

Recent reviews in HCC, What Video and TV and What Hi Fi all referred to the ' soft picture'.

Maximum marks were 4 out of 5 and no 'Best Buy' awards.
All stated that it was a good set but not up to usual Toshiba standards.

However, as always, get a demo and judge for yourself.

Brian.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom