1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 42WT29

Discussion in 'TVs' started by toffeelover, May 21, 2002.

1. toffeelover

toffeelover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone seen this TV ?

Apparently it's an updated version of the 42WH18B due out imminently - only difference as far as I can see is "free to view iDTV" - anyone know what this consists of (calls it "Digital Terrestrial [DVB-OFDM]" under the tuning blurb)?

Probably just the terrestrial channels plus the weather channel !!

Surely there must be something else to differentiate it from the 42WH18B:confused:?

Surprise, surprise nothing on Tosh website.

Help would be appreciated - I've been offered this instead of the 42WH18B due to lengthy delivery problems.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Free to view digital terrestrial consists of the following channels currently:

BBC ONE
    BBC TWO
    ITV 1
    CHANNEL 4
    CHANNEL 5
    ITV 2
    BBC CHOICE
    BBC FOUR
    BBC NEWS 24
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    QVC
    TV Travel Shop
    BBC PARLMNT (radio only)
    ITN

.. plus teletext, fourtext, and bbc interactive.

DVB stands for Digital Video Broadcasting and is the technical standard that underlies digital terrestrial television.

IDTV stands for Integrated Digital TV. It means the TV comes with a built in digital tuner so you don't have to go out and buy one (e.g. like the Pace DTA for £99) to get the free to view digital channels. In fact, IDTVs usually come with 2 digital tuners, so you can record one channel while watching another.

Having recently switched to digital (terrestrial) myself I can thoroughly recommend it - I unplugged my analogue aerial permanently from day 1 and could never go back now!!!

3. toffeelover

toffeelover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you, oh nutty one, for that hoard of info - just what I needed !!!:D

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are most welcome :D

Hope your toffee has got nuts in it :D

5. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toffeelover, there's a little bit of info on this TV in T3 magazine (June edition).

Regards.

6. ]|EGG|[

]|EGG|[

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Toff,

Just some info directly from Toshiba mate as I too had enquired about this new set and basically the only difference is the built in free to air decoder box:

"There are four new rear projection TVs due to be released next month. As you have looked at the 42WH18B I will relate the features of the new models to that TV.

Three will have the same features with the only difference being the size. The 42WT29, 50WT29 and 57WT29 are the new versions of the 42WH18 range. These TVs have Dolby Digital surround sound as before with 100 Hz screen, fastext, surround speakers and woofer terminal. The new TVs will also have
    an integrated free-to-air digital decoder. The 50 inch and 42 inch models will have an optional glass-fronted cabinet stand.

The other new rear projection TV is the 42PW23. This is a NICAM stereo TV (not surround sound) with a 50 Hz screen and Fastext. Again there will be an optional glass cabinet stand.

Apart from the integrated free-to-air digital decoder there is little
    difference between the 42WH18B and the 42WT29. Both have the dark tint screen.

The 42WT29 should be available for sale in June 2002

In both cases the cabinet has one shelf at approximately mid height so that there are two compartments each about 13.5cm high."

There you go, some useful info direct from Toshiba as promissed.

Before I go i just wanted to mention that when I did a search on the net for the new 42WT29 it actually brought up a retailer that was selling the new set about £200 cheaper than the curent 42WH18B model which I thought was odd considering it was exactly the same but INCLUDED a free-to-air decoder!!

Hope this helps,

Cheers

]|EGG|[

P.S. After looking at the sets for the umpeenth time tonight in Curry's I've decided I'm going for the 50WH18B as I think in a seating position the set is a better height and found the 42" version to be a bit too low and hence resulted in a darker picture...only £1860 from www.qed-uk.com so can't be bad :)

7. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok then, what was the retailer and what was the price?

Pricerunner states that the cheapest price for the 42wh18b is 1480 and for the new one 1633.

8. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops double post

9. toffeelover

toffeelover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the 42WT29 info ]|EGG|[

If you're going for the 50WH18B Robert Whyte or Robertsons-online might be worth a look.

http://www.avshopdirect.co.uk/
    http://www.robertsons-online.co.uk/

Both are offering free speakers for around the same price as QED.

Also both have actual shops - therefore you might be able to get a price match from Allders/House of Fraser/John Lewis.

Army & Navy (H of Fraser) gave me one of £1499 on the 42WH18B, along with a free DVD player and a 5 yr warranty (back in Feb, though).

Thought it was too good to be true - still waiting for deliv !!!:mad:

Such is life !

10. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    The delay is likely with Tosh not with your retailer. Tosh deliver and install the TVs for most of the main suppliers.

Yet if you go to some online etailers (and some shops), they hold stock of the TV and will deliver next day.

If you'd ordered from Robert Whyte, you might as well give up now.

11. ]|EGG|[

]|EGG|[

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the tip on Robert Whyte, I had listed them as a choice of supplier but not any more having heard plenty of disgruntled customers opinions.

The choice is now down to QED (Quality Electrical Direct/Miller Bros) or Robertsons online as both do it for a similar price.

Guys maybe I could ask for your opinions as my choice is between the 42" and 50" versions of the Toshiba WH18B, or dependant as whether the replacement model WT29 is out when I come to buy.

What's annoyed me is when you see these sets advertised on the net they tend to use similar images to display both models. It wasn't until I went into Curry's and Comet to actually view them in person that I realised the depth of the 50" set was far greater than the extremely slim 42" version and also uses a different style of casing with the 50" set having a considerable flat top to it that would easily hold a decent sized centre speaker.

I know that the 42" version has won several awards around the board so am I right in asuming that as I can't find a single review on the 50" version that as the sets are identical apart from screensize the 50" version should be equally as good?

My main reason for considering the 50" version of this set is due to having seen the 42" and thinking that it sat quite low to the ground. Having only just purchased a new leather suite which has quite a high seating position the 50" seemed the better option. I've also even seen the 42" on the optional glass cabinet and thought it made the set look totally daft what with the then total base size totally overshadowing the size of the viewable screen.

Any advice or thoughts from owners of either of these 2 sets would be greatly appreciated:)

Many thanks

]|EGG|[