1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh. 42WH46 Blushing

Discussion in 'TVs' started by yahkjr, Oct 30, 2004.

1. yahkjr

yahkjr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received a Tosh 42wh46 a couple of weeks ago and am generally happy with the Tv except for a band, 3-4 inches wide, down the right hand side which appears to be blushing.

This is only noticable when the picture is pale/white/cream or black and white, ie the Stella Artois "shot down pilot" ad.

Called out the service company and the "engineer" said the following:

"the red tube is "flaring""

"would need to be taken into the workshop to be fixed and it would probably come back as bad or with other problems"

Does not exactly fill me with confidence in there abilities :mad: .

So any advice from RPTV experts ? If I leave the TV as is, will the "red tube flaring" reduce the life of the red tube ?

TIA,

Kenneth.

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am sure that some repair compannies will try to fob you off, but if there was something that the tv engineer thought they could do then they would be paid for that repair.
    I dont have much experience with the tv you mention, but it dosent sound like flaring.
    If you could give a better discription of the fault someone may be able to help. Is it a straight line down or patchy ect.
    Nigel

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree it is not likely to be red flare. This would be visible as a halo around any object that has red in it - for example skin tones and especially white lines or text anywhere on the screen, not just one area. You would not see it on white backgrounds - you need edges to show tube flare because it is a sign of poor focus. I have a small amount of blue flare on mine but I can't be arsed to take the screen off and adjust the mechanical focus to see if I can improve it! If the tube was flaring then yes, it would have a shorter lifespan than a good tube. What you would see is the flare get progressively worse until the focus went completely, but as I said I don't think you have a flare problem.

My guess at the cause of your problem is that there is dirt on the lens of the red tube. This does cause light diffusion and can create strange smearing effects on certain images - and of course it will be in a certain area of the screen only. Either that or the coolant is dirty, but that is a very long shot indeed - I would be very surprised to find out that was causing your fault.

As for the 'engineer's' comment about it probably coming back worse after repair than it went in - feed that back to Tosh. If they take quality seriously then I'm sure they will take a very dim view of such comments and chase up the said company for an explanation.