Tosh 42WH18P v 50WH18P

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dBa, Sep 12, 2003.

1. dBa

dBa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just saw these two models in a shop earlier but the Hollywood 50WH18P was 200 Euro less expensive (although none of them were cheap). The spec looks the same is there a reason for this? The picture quality on the 42" smaller model looked better - is this just a setup difference or do smaller RP's generally have better picture quality.

Anybody rate these models, better picture quality than the 42 PW 23 P? How good is the sound?

Anybody seen the replacements yet (Hollywood WH36 etc)

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm... if the 42" & 50" models have the same CRT & lenses that's probably why the 42 looks better-possibly the larger models CRT's will have to be driven harder to equal the 42". Although it could be other things (maybe 50 not properly setup)

I have the 42PW23P. The sound is pretty good & clear. Reduce bass a bit though as it muddles the sound. Although it's rubbish compared to my 1 kilowatt output AV system. :)

The xx36Bxx models support (I believe) PAL & NTSC Progressive scan.. although no-ones reported if it's 100% working or not.

I have not compared my model to the new ones.

3. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The 50WH18B is exactly the same set as the 42, just bigger!!!

IT has the same brightness as well, infact on default settings, it is a bit too bright..

As for picture quality, well there should be no difference, with the exception that obviously if you are viewing a poor source, this will look worse the bigger it is blown up. On a good source However, I am sure you will be stunned by the clarity/detail/contrast and vivid colours...

I previously had the 46wh08B, and was apprehensive when I upgraded to he 50wh18B... but as it turned out, the 50wh18B had a much brighter/clearer picture then the 46"... so size does not seem to correlate to quality necessarily.

It seems Tosh only do decent RPTV's.. so you can't make a bad choice...

Saying that, I have ordered a 51WH36P to replace my 50wh18B, and just hope the picture quality is as good, but knowing Tosh, it should be!!!

4. ICEM@N

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you order it from?, and have they told you when it will arrive?. I ordered one from tv and video direct 4 weeks ago, was suppose to turn up 2 weeks ago.

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Having spoken to TIS UK directly (Toshiba Information Systems UK), they are sending them out this week commencing 15th September...

Unfortunately, there is a bit of a backlog, due to the popularity of the set... so mine won't be available until the end of september!!!.