Tosh 42WH18B and 100Hz

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by specky, May 8, 2002.

1. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought the Tosh 42WH18B and so far I've been been largely disappointed with the 100Hz scanning and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

Basically if I switch the set to 100Hz, I get a really nasty flicker whereas in 'Natural' mode it seems fine. Does anyone know why? I had a 36" Sharp CRT previously and the 100Hz scanning on that set was fantastic so why the difference with the Tosh?

Also, does anyone know how to turn the contrast down for the service menu on the Tosh? - I currently have to wear sunglasses to change any settings.

Cheers.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I've got a Tosh 40" RPTV and on 100Hz, the TV menus and Sky Digital menus filcker VERY badly although the picture itself is rock solid.

I asked about this a couple of months ago and it seems that some people get the flicker and others don't even on the same model.

John

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I believe all 100Hz Tosh's (incl CRTs) have this 'flicker'.
    In fact my mates 100hz Pan has it too and he also has another setting akin to 'natural' scan which makes the pic more stable (can't remember what it's called)

I have it on mine too but I must say I am very impressed with the 100Hz scanning (the best I have seen).
    'Natural' scan is still 100Hz btw and is best suited for text/static material and not for normal/moving material.

I don't notice this flicker once i'm watching the TV.

Once you get used to it and then see a 50Hz WS TV, then you will see real flicker.

I can't bear to watch my bros JVC 28" WS TV. It literally gives me a headache now. Funnily enough I never used to notice it until I got my Tosh.

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100hz is best for fast moving items and not suitable for game consoles

Natural is best for text and depth and game consoles. It is still 100hz. It just has some extra processing.

The majority of viewing would be most likely in natural mode.