1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tosh 42pw23 - convergence

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by weyland-yutani, Apr 19, 2004.

1. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    my unit has red and blue pluge on either side of the screen. it looks pretty cr*p when the screen shows white/grey colours there. will a full service menu convergence tweek solve this or is it just part of this models set up? i certainly won't do the service my self but i'll get a toshiba engineer out. i just need to know if its worth it.

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The left corner will always look soft and slightly out of focus and there will always be a slight pinkish bloom (rainbow like) on the right hand side around middle of the screen.
    But they will not detract from getting a very enjoyable viewing experiance.
    The pink bloom is only really noticeable on B&W material.
    And then it was only me who could see it................unless i pointed it out to the misses and then she soon forgot about it.

But what you are getting, deff sounds like the convergence needs sorting.
    It is simple to do yourself, although i sat there thinking about it for about 4 months before i decided to have ago.

3. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    adjusting the 9 point convergence menu makes no difference, will a full service one be any better? the picture on an all white screen resembles that evian commercial at the end where the edge of whole screen is tinted red. its not as bad as that, but you get the idea.

i might just send it back and get the 42PW36P instead.:rolleyes:

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It would be a lot better if you done the service convergence.
    The 9 point one is pretty useless........dont evern know why they bother putting it on there.

It took me about 4 months to get my PW23 as i wanted it......nearly everyday i was changeing something.
    And evern then it took ages for the PQ to look good......i think it was about 6 months old when the mirror finally burnt in and all the annoying artifacts disappered completey ( apart from the pink bloom down the right side).
    But for the next 6 months (untill i gave it to the sister-in-law and i brought a 51WH36) it had a brilliant picture........evern now when i see it, it looks stunning.
    I just gotta long wait for this one to burn in now.

5. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    what do you mean "the mirror finally burnt in"? i thought the whole idea was to avoid screen burn.

also, i've notice about 3 black dots on the inside of the screen. are these pixel drop outs, or doesn't that apply to RPTV?

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You want to avoid screen burn in just parts, like logo burn in.
    I had the 4:3 borders burn in on mine, but after about 2 months of leaveing it on wide it faded.
    the best i can explain is, when i first got it, it did not matter where i had the brightness or contrast, it just did not seem right...........either to bright or to dark + i had like a shimmering around objects, but after about 6 months the mirror burnt in and dimmed down abit, so i had better control over the brightness and contrast and the shimmering disappered.
    I would advise that you either leave it on wide or put it on super live and let it switch to wide when needed.
    You may not get the 4:3 border burn in (depends how long you have it on for per day) but my TV is on for around 18 hours aday some times longer and they burnt in after around 4 months.

I would suspect the dots you are seeing is dirt or dust inside.
    Take the screen off and give it a clean.