Tosh 40Wh08B 100Hz Question

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mseabroo, Nov 12, 2001.

1. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Just got my 40wh08 back from having the screen repaired and a geometry fault sorted
    (dog bless 2 year old's who thing their helping by cleaning things)

Anyway apart from the usual that’s expect from a set returned from a service centre (Convergence completely off, perfect before it left and bowed geometry that wasn't there when it went away)

I have noticed something with the 100Hz that I'm certain wasn’t happening before it went away and wanted to check if other have noticed this or if its my faulty memory.

When opening the setup menu with 100hz selected, the whole menu flickers / shimmers (almost like 50hz flicker) and looks generally unstable, also noticeable to a lesser extent on the onscreen displays (volume etc).
    But really stands out on the SKY digital menu’s (VIA RGB), almost looks like composite.

However drop in the Natural scan option and the whole lot is completely rock steady.

I know the natural scan is mean to help with scan line jitter but I don’t recall noticing this much difference, only that before natural scan seemed to give a more processed image but no other noticeable improvement.

If anyone can confirm their experience one way or the other, or if this sounds wrong, I’d be appreciative.

Thanks Mark
    :confused:

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my 32ZP18P, 100hz flickers a little with the menus and natural does not.

There is a possibility that a service pack was installed to your set, whilst it was away. This would explain the settings differences and maybe the scanning was one of the things changed.

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have the 40WHO8B and the effect you mention is 'normal'. I really notice this when playing PS2 on the set, and usually have to run in 'natural' mode because of it.

4. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Double Doom and Carl,
    Thanks very much for your responses confirming normal behaviour.

Guess I was just being over critical in checking thing out now the sets back combined with less than perfect recall.

To be honest though I have only noticed this on the menus and have not noticed a difference during normal viewing in 100hz mode.

I'll check with the service company to see if they had made any changes to the firmware just out of interest.
    Although my picture settings in the user mode memory were retained Ok.

Once I get the geometry and convergence sorted I'll be back in home cinema heaven.

Thanks again for your help gents.:D