Tosh 37WLT68 vs Sharp 37X1DE

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Zdb, Dec 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Zdb

Zdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,

I'm down to these two. Shading towards the Sharp due to its native resolution. Main use will be DVD's just now, and then the PS3 in Spring. Probably some Sky HD also at some point.

37 is my optimal size for our TV room... i'm sorely tempted to go for the 42, but i don't want to get greedy - size isn't everything - or so I'm told :D

Any reasons for or against, or to confuse me more by adding another option ?

2. bliss007

bliss007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh get bad skintones I read here, and its not a 1080p panel with 4 colours (read specs to see what it means)

3. rogerft

rogerft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133

I find it strange that out of all the sets available you have narrowed your choice to a 720 and a 1080 product.

I have not seen a 1080 set than displays an SD feed as well as the best 720 sets.

High resolution does not ensure a better picture and currently the opposite is true for some products.

If you are mainly viewing a 1080 source and intend to sit close enough to see the additional detail then a 1080 set may be a better option for you, otherwise it may be a mistake.

4. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Wholeheartedly agree with Rogerft on this.

5. bliss007

bliss007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well set the set to 720, its bit late in day to buy a 1366x678 panel IMO, we have now got 1080p not only 1080i panels, esp when cost is as low as this.
    99% of n00bs buy a HD Ready TV not knowing it can never show a 1080 pic in true res, they dont get told by shop its only the inputs that gets it the HD Ready cert, look at the total joke of Sammy Slimfit 408 CRT, its a normal SD screen.

6. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    from what ive seen of the sharp it produces a great picture with SD.

7. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    I would go Toshiba :)
    andrewfee owned the Sharp and Toshiba and he is very trustworthy and found the Toshiba better.

8. bliss007

bliss007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going by what I have read here the Sharp IMO is the better TV even ignoring the 1080p/1080i 1920x1080 panel, the Tosh had my attention but its being out a while and some peeps here are not happy with it, If you get a Sharp with no banding your set for a good TV, and the 37" are said to not have this issue or rarely.
    The current price on the Sharps makes it a no brainer.

9. Batch

Batch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    University: Lancaster, Home: Cambridgeshire
    Ratings:
    +200
    I've got the Toshiba and it's a superb TV. Excellent with SD and HD and also has 3 HDMI ports!