1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 36ZP48

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by badgeritis, Jul 14, 2004.

1. badgeritis

badgeritis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,

I bought one of these last night (I intended to buy a 38 but was offered the newer model for an extra £10). However, apart from the cosmetic differences, is this a better set? TBH I think I prefer the looks of the 38 but thought it would be better to buy the latest model - I can't find a review anywhere though :-(

I've got a couple of days 'til it arrives so any opinions would be welcome.

Also, can anyone recommend a DVD player that will complement this TV? Or even better, a sub-£300 recorder.

Cheers!

Adam

2. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    For a DVD player - depends how much you want to spend - the Toshiba SD-240SE at £79 is an absolutely steal, does PAL and NTSC progressive scan etc etc, got 5 stars in the latest What Hi Fi... also check out the new Pioneer 575 at around £150...

3. jase the space

jase the space
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can download the PDF manual from Toshiba's web site.

Note that there is also a ZP46 version which doesn't have Dolby Digital.

From side-by-side comparisons of ZP38 and ZP48 manuals it looks like they are identical except maybe a different tube (ZP48 seem to be 4kg heavier!!)

Summary of what I have found:

Look identical apart from ZP48 has silvery facia
    Back panel is identical
    Different wording around PROGRESSIVE mode
    Still only get Geomag correction on 36" model

Hopefully they have finally sorted out problems with the tube (green smears, vertical bands, geometry and colour patches) but I doubt it!

It maybe that the ZP48 is simply a different colour version of the ZP38 (but cost reduced of course so they can maintain their profit!).

The green smears are the big issue for me (and possibly geometry) - other than I am happy with my 32ZP38.

4. lagrian

lagrian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could I ask where you got yours from and at what price ?, I have a budget of £950 and was going to buy a 36ZP38 from 3pins.com for £900 if I went and picked it up but every where's out of stock and probably going to replace them with the 36ZP48 but they are quite a bit more.

5. badgeritis

badgeritis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it's from soundandvisiononline.com. If you go for it you can have the set delivered for £1099, or about £1000 if you pick it up. I looked at 3pins yesterday but lots of their stock seems to be graded or ex display, and they didn't have the 36zp38 in stock either.
    I still think the 38 looks cooler - I hope the 48 grows on me.

There should be a rash of cheap 38s soon though - I'd check House of Fraser if I were you as you get some amazing ex display bargains there.

6. lagrian

lagrian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Badgeritus, I think I am going to wait for a cheap 36ZP38 as I really like the black surround.

7. RaynerN

RaynerN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am waiting to get the 36zp48, this is mainly for two reasons. The zp48 has an extra RGB scart connector and is HDTV ready. Before I buy, I will look out for some reviews first as I put off from buying the 36zp38 due to lots of geometry issues being reported.

8. jase the space

jase the space
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    RaynerN

Based on the manuals there is no difference between the ZP38 and ZP48 in terms of connectivity - BOTH have 2 RGB SCARTs.

In terms of it being HDTV-ready, I think you may have been misled. Internally it uses a high def pixel process but this doesn't really give you HDTV. Both the ZP38 and ZP48 have this although the ZP48 may have had some tweaks made (there are NO new scan modes but the exisiting ones may have been improved)

9. RaynerN

RaynerN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the difference is that the new ZP48 has in total 5 connectors - 3 scart and 2 RGB. The previous version had 3 scart sockets of which 2 can be used for RGB.

This is an assumption I am making from the following extracts of the respective Tech Specs.

ZP48
    2 RGB
    3 SCART

ZP38
    3 SCART sockets
    2 RGB Input via SCART

The ZP48 also has a slighty more powerfull sound. 68W RMS audio output vs 63W RMS Audio Output

Its certainly hard to do a good comparison as the terminology used between spec sheets is different. For example the ZP48 boasts Super Scene Control,
    Super real transient, Digital comb filter, Colour detail enhancer, Active Mode,
    Natural Mode. All these are missing from the ZP38, is this because they are new features or are they just now being listed to make them look like new features.

I guess the big test will be from users who upgrade from the ZP38 to the ZP48 and their personal experiences.

10. jase the space

jase the space
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    RGB can only be passed in via SCART on these TVs!

Both ZP38/ZP48 have 3 SCARTs:

EXT1 SCART: RGB / Composite + Audio L+R
    EXT2 SCART: RGB / Composite + Audio L+R
    EXT3 SCART: S-Video / Composite + Audio L+R
    EXT4 Phono: YPbPr Component + Audio L+R
    EXT5 DIN: S-Video
    EXT5 Phono: Composite + Audio L+R

Both TVs have 63W sound.

Both TVs have SSC, SRT, DCF, Active + Natural Modes.

Not sure where you got your info from but just by comparing the specs of the manuals there is very little difference between the two models

11. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are differences jase if u check the tosh uk site the 48 does indeed have
    68w compared to the 63 of old tv.Also the active vision has been improved
    since the 38 to according to toshiba uk.

12. RaynerN

RaynerN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was using information obtained from the Toshiba web site. It has downloadable spec sheets for each tv.

Still not 100% sure whether to go for the 32" or 36" version. However I have made my mind up that it will be the Picture Frame 3, especially as the prices are dropping by the day.