1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 36ZP38P - Screen purity advice.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Moo242, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this set delivered on Tuesday and have been thrilled by the performance of the component DVD, terrestrial performance is pretty good too.

However, have noticed the dreaded screen purity issues that I've been reading about on here. I've got very feint blue tints in two of the corners only really noticable on all white backgrounds (noticed it most on Band Of Brothers, because of its washed out look you can really notice it against the sky) Even the missus noticed it and

Obviously, I'm gonna phone the store I got it from but I'm loathe to venture into the hassle of exchanging the set as the chances are I'll experience the same problem

So, would really appreciate some help from anybody who has experience of this. (NB - I'm a bit fo a newbie :blush: )

1) Is it fixable and has anyone successfully had it fixed? I've read that an engineer can fix this with a fiddle of the magnets on the tube

2) Has anybody ever seen these symptoms fade over time?

3) How helpful are Toshiba with this problem? - it seems they don't really give much of a monkey's..

4) I've got some Belden cable coming from Mark in the Power Buys folder - will this help?

5) Whats the difference between this and 'convergence' - just reading about them they sound like the same thing... :confused:

Thats it really, as I said, I'm happy with the TV apart from this niggle and would really apprecaite any advice :lease: - Thanks

2. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bah, knew I forgot to mention something in my original post....No, no speakers nearby.

3. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Have a look at this:

http://www.anatekcorp.com/smask.htm

My understanding is degausse is your first and main option (usually by disconnecting TV from mains for 30 mins or so or some TVs have it in the menu). Do it a few times to see if it improves. Then consider professional degaussing.

Convergence requires the magnets to be adjusted but it doesn't sound like your problem.

Hope it helps.

4. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply

Tried the degaussing, hasn't really helped but looking at that article it seems doing it a few times may help or getting an external one

The only reason I ask about the magnets is because of this:-

Screen blotches
    These seem to be a major problem on large screen Toshiba TV's. Always keep sources of magnet fields like un-magnetically screened HiFi speakers and the like away from your TV by at least 1.5 metres. ONLY Magnetically screened speakers like the ones Toshiba supply as part of the surround sound system, may be placed directly under the TV screen on a cabinet shelf on on top of the TV.

Even abiding by these rules, screen blotches on all-white screens can often be a problem on large widescreen TV's and Toshiba seem to be aware of the issue. Various people have told me that Toshiba say such problems are "normal" and "to be expected". To minimise this problem YOU CAN HELP by always keeping the contrast setting of the TV below 70 and brightness preferably below 60. This improves the picture enormously too in terms of improving picture detail.

Screen corner blotches are corrected using small stick on 'bow tie' magnets on the tube back. Toshiba should be able to supply purity correction magnets such as these to a professional service engineer to try to correct any serious screen corner white tone consistency problems you may have. The 'bow tie' purity magnet is moved around the screen back with the TV switched on until the white tone consistency is optimised in the affected area, then the magnet is stuck on the tube.

Taken from http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/tvtools.htm

5. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You say very faint so you may as well try a couple of degaussing. A small improvement may be enough. The best option after that depends on whether you think a replacement is likely to be better. If you love the TV apart from that problem, you may want to consider getting a local engineer to come and degausse it and mention that if it fails to improve he should bring some bowtie magnets. That maybe a service your retailer offers but I doubt it.

6. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best settings [colour, brightness, contrast] are discussed in this thread (all 17 pages of it.)

I think my picture is spot on, and the geometry is spot on. The only thing I can notice is a slight 'dirty screen' effect on pans of the sky (eg Golf), but it doesn't really annoy me.

7. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I found out from the thread was to switch off SVM, which I think makes it look horrible. To do this first go to Picture Mode 3 (which has SVM turned off) and then adjust contrast, colour, brightness, etc. SVM off then gets saved to the user settings

Just looking at the Sky menus with SVM on and off and you can immediately tell the difference, and I think the picture looks more natural.

8. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies

Lowering the contrast does help the situation but only if its to the point that its too dark. As I said, the picture is fantastic 99% of the time but the blue discolouration on light backgrounds is bugging me and it doesn't look like its getting any better.

Anyway, the shop has offered to swap it on Tuesday so we'll see if the new one is any better.

9. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ugh - Just had the new one delivered and it's even worse!!!

Big purple splodge hanging fromt he top of the screen, the bloke who delivered it said that the problem stems from Tosh tightening the tube too much and so shows impurities...

Hmmmm....whatever mate, mines going back and I'll live with my 21" samsung until I decide on a new model..

Gutted :(

10. Breitling

Breitling
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a 36ich Sony in my Bedrom with the same problems , its a concurrent problem with most large tubes. Curvature etc

Sorry for the bad news

11. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moo,

Is there a bit on a DVD which clearly shows this problem, is it on very light scenes.

I've looked for this problem and honestly can't see it

Not sure if it is :

1) Difference in the set
    2) Difference in settings
    3) My eyes aren't as discerning

My settings (I tend to pull one curtain closed when watching TV if it is bright outside)

Contrast 45
    Brightness 54
    Colour 47
    Tint -4
    Sharpness -10
    Scan Natural
    DNR off
    Black Stretch Off
    Colour Temp Normal

SVM Off (ie adjust settings from picture mode 3)

When I first got the tv and turned it on with the factory settings, Johnathan Ross looked like he was broadcasting from the middle of a Nuclear Reactor.

There is a newish Panasonic (but without the surround sound) tx36pl32 that seems to be selling for around £1000 or decent plasma seem about £2300

12. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have the DVE disc and it shows up quite drastically on the colour setup chapter with pure white screen.

OK, I'm not gonna be watching a pure white screen so I put in Monsters Inc. - the picture is sublime running through a fat belden cable from a Prog Scan Pionner 575. So, try the first episode of Band Of Brothers when they jump out of the plane and it's there like a purple blimp in the sky and onto a slection of B&W movies of which I watch a lot of. Seven Samurai appears to now be in full colour and and Longest Day looks more like Moulin Rouge!!!

I wouldn't say I'm more picky than the next guy but for £1000 I really don't want to be anything less than 100% happy. I'd rather go without.

My 4 year old Panny (so old I can't even remember the model) or the Sony prior to that never showed any of these problems and they cost less put together than this model on its own and this is supposed to current technology...!!

Thanks for the tip on the Panny - but I've just splashed out on the PS dvd player and want to make the most of it.

I was thinking of cutting my losses and making a saving on the Thomson 643 (only 32" but I can live with that).

13. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear - I think would notice that, good luck - I think some people have had more success with 32 inch screens - some seem to recommend the Loewe.

The Panasonic TX 36 PL 32 does progressive scan (wasn't sure if it was the PS or the lack of surround sound that was putting you off)