1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 36ZP18Q - worth £1800???

Discussion in 'TVs' started by manxmike, Feb 27, 2003.

1. manxmike

manxmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I know that's a lot of money for this set, but I'm on the Isle of Man and that's the cheapest I can get it for over here. My other option is of course to buy online and get it for £500 less, but I'm concerned about shipping such a beast over in case I get a dud and it has to go back. I s'pose my questions are:

1. is it a good set? Looks and sounds great in the shop. I'm fairly fussy but not overly critical, just after a good big TV for playing DVDs (still only got analogue TV reception).

2. what are the general opinions on shipping tellys of this size? Should I bite the bullet and pay more for peace of mind?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can't see what's wrong with ordering off the internet; at the time Robertson's were the cheapest; I was very sceptical about their reviews BUT I think all companies do the same job; pass your order to Toshiba...

Anyway, my Robertson's online experience saved me about £400 from Comet's price :) and they were very good, and my tv's perfect :)

3. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to order online but experienced nothing but trouble.

Some, in fact the majority probably get sorted without too many problems.

However personally I would buy from a retailer near to you. You can always ask if they will price match or at least knock something off, or throw something in for free. It is sometimes worth paying more just to be able to walk into the shop and speak to the manager face to face. If you buy online you can often spend days, weeks even months chasing orders, faulty goods and refunds.

I just got my 3rd FS76!! First two faulty. My girlfriends dad got the tv your after from Comet and had two faulty tvs before being happy with the third. It is quite, relatively speaking, common to get a faulty tv.

If you do buy online, and the prices will no doubt sway you PLEASE visit http://www.pricerunner.com

Great site that has ratings and reviews on most online retailers. I wish I had found this site before having all my online problems.

Good luck.

Tom

4. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe you are generally safer buying online as long as it's from a reputable (recomended) supplier. I got my 36ZP from QED after they swapped out a couple of faulty Phillips sets with no trouble what so ever and over a year later I'm still as happy as a pig in the preverbial.

I say safer buying it online because under the distance selling act you can send it back within 7 days for any reason and get a full refund. With a shop you are at the mercy of their returns policy - they are not obliged to give you your money back just because you don't like it.

I'd be worried about recomending this set to you though because you only have analogue signal. This is a SUPERB TV with a digital signal (NTL in my case) and DVD but the analogue picture is pretty poor...... Whether that applies to all/most 36 inchers I don't know.

5. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I've just bought this very TV. The best price I found - with the TV actually in stock - was £1295 delivered with the stand and speakers from Sound & Vision in Bolton. I got John Lewis to price match and it arrives tomorrow.

6. manxmike

manxmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. They confirm the fears I have about mail order really, in fact looking at posts here I'm surprised there are so many problems with sets that have to be returned multiple times. Not being on the mainland makes it all the worse when it comes to couriers and the like.

This set's relatively poor analogue reception isn't hugely important to me as I hardly watch any broadcast telly. I'm normally a Sony fan but the picture frame flatscreen and tapered back of the Tosh is perfect for my living room - no other set I've seen would fit as well. It also impressed me when I asked for a demo. I had to batter down to £1800 for cash, the prices here go up to a ludicrous £2149!!!

Tommo, thanks for the link to Pricerunner - I'll be sure to check them out.

Cheers.

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am very happy with my set after 20 months, but as others have said the analogue picture is terrible due to the tuner in the set.

Simple solution though is to use the tuner in your video, and you get a near perfect picture via the scart connector.

8. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Try Toshiba Direct 020 8445 5042. They claim to deliver and set up the set and are a subsiduary of Toshiba. I was going to buy from them until I read this board, and got persuaded that the Sony FS76 is a better bet for me. But I had heard good reports and they seemed ok when I called for a quote. A few quid more, but not enough to make a difference, and it included delivery and setup.

Can't see why they wont deliver to IOM.

9. manxmike

manxmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll give Toshiba Direct a try and see what the score is.

Cheers. :)