1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 36ZP18P

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DavidCook, Feb 20, 2002.

1. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Help.
    My new set arrived Monday(although it's going back with two cracks in the frame) I bought a package including DVD,VTR.
    1)Should I connect the DVD using the three coloured phono cable or a scart.What's the difference?
    2) The book says to connect the DVD to the TV using a coaxial link for digital. I'm assuming that is orange connection on TV to orange on DVD. Is that correct. What about the audio 'holes' on the DVD that you don't plug anything into?
    3) Which type of audio is best for general viewing Pro logic or one of the others in the menu ie hall,disco etc.
    and finally
    When I select AV connections on the menu and type in ext3 ( which is the scart my DVD is currentlyconnected to) against Digital input 1 (which is the coaxial link between DVD and TV) I get no sound. I can get sound when typing in any of the other extension numbers. What am I doing wrong?
    Any help gratefully received.

2. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Read the manual and check if the 3 coloured phone socket is in fact a component socket. If its component then this is the best connection to use. Its as good as RGB scart if not slightly better.

2) Again check the manual for what the orange connection is on the back of the TV. I believe the orange is the coaxial digital in connection. And yes you would use a coax digital lead from the DVD players "Digital out" for getting Dolby Digital on the tv.

3) Pro Logic default I'd say.

4) Um not familiar with the menu on that tv and how it works. Just keep reading the manual and keep messing around. Just make sure you have the coax digital lead going from the "digital out" on the DVD player into the orange "digital in" on the tv. Also this is VERY important - in your DVD players setup menu make sure you select "Dolby Digital Out", "DTS Out", "Digital Out = ON" And if your player has a "Bitstream" option in the audio menu select this. It will send the raw stream of AC3 digital audio to your TV enabling you to receive Dolby Digital.

3. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What DVD player did you get? If it is a Tosh then use the component outputs, EXT4 on the TV and set the digital audio in to EXT4.

As for Audio setup leave it on prologic as standard, but then when you've got it running play around with it and decide what you like best. If you've set the external front speakers up don't forget to flick the switch on the back of the TV.

4. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for the info. Everyhing appears fine. The cable with the three coloured inputs/outs is the 'component video connector'. I am using a scart still because this cable I am using for the the kids to plug their playstation into the front connectors rather than going behind to plug a scart in. Am I doing the right thing?

On a different point. The picture is great on camera close ups eg Football,News, Interviews etc but on longer shots of the game or when reading small text there is a shimmer arond the edges of the players or letters. Are there any minor adjustments which will cure this?
    Don't know the technical term but occasionally ,depending on the background picture I can see a vertical set of lines which appear to wave across the screen. What are they?
    I am doing all viewing through the sky dish as reception through the ariel is no where near as good.

5. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You will get a much better picture with Component than scart with this TV and DVD, but rather than take the cheep nasty cable back off the kids get yourself a decent set of leads.

How have you got the Sky box connected? You should have it via scart into EXT1 with the sky set to output in RGB, this will give you a rock solid picture. The wavey lines you describe sound like cross channel interfearance which will go away if you disconect the aerial lead from the Sky box.

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The component in on the back is input 4, and should be used for the dvd.

The input on the front is input 3 and you just have to ensure you are not using input 3 scart at the same time. I have a second video into that scart, and have to ensure it is not working when the front sockets are used for my camera.

7. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The sky digibox is connected through scart 1. I haven't any other ariel leads from the skybox as the quality is poor and I always watch through sky anyway so I never put the ariel co-ax in. All I have is the input from the dish, a scart from digibox to TV and a second scart from digibox to VTR. I'm not sure what you mean when you say don't use ext 3 scart at the same time as the front connectors. How is this possible? or do you mean don't have anything plugged into scart 3 at all even if it is switched off. Will it damage the set if I leave a scart in ext3 and use the front connectors?

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    All my videos are connected direct to the tv and not through the digibox, hence digibox to rgb scart 1, videos to inputs 2 and 3, dvd to component input 4 with optical link for sound. I also have a scart from the digibox to the best video to allow recording offf sky.

If I wish to view the camera recording, I connect to input 3 via the front and leave the video on stanby. The TV detects the camera input and switches to input 3. Nothing needs to be disconnected and there is no risk to the tv.

9. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Ken,
    I have my set up the same as yours by the sounds of it.