1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 36ZP18P

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Vectraone, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been following the previous thread with interest and I think you have all convinced me to buy one of these beauties - even though there's nothing wrong with my 10 year old 4:3 Panny, but you know what it's like. I was originally thinking of buying another Panny (the 36 inch PG50, I think), but after reading your comments.........

I'm not a home cinema expert so thought i would ask a few questions before parting with my hard earned cash.

1. I think the set comes with 4 speakers (having followed the previous thread). Do the front speakers fit in the cabinet? - if not what have you guys(or girls!) put them on? Are the rear speakers wall mountable? I have some B&W601S2's already on the rear wall for my hifi, if they are the same ohm rating, could I use these instead? My lounge is oblong shaped (21'x12') so i presume the TV includes a fader control? - (I really want to wall mount the rear speakers)

2. At the same time as buying the TV, I'm getting a Tosh SD210 DVD and having sky fitted. What cables should I buy to connect the TV, Sky box and DVD together to get the best picture/sound without taking out another mortgage.

Thanks for your help. I hope John Lewis in Bristol deliver to Worcester!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll use my extra Tosh speakers on a computer in another room. I think they are compatible.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vectraone, you may have posted this under another thread and had your questions answered by now but it looked like you were being missed so whilst I'm no expert I have got the tele so I'll try and answer your questions.

1. It does come with 4 seperate speakers in addition to the 2 built in to the set. The speakers will fit in to the cabinet either upright on the top shelf or lay down on the middle or bottom. The speakers are wall mountable too, they have a small bracket attached (which is removable), Tosh even include the screw to stick it on the wall. Don't see why your exisitng speakers won't work if they're the same rating (which on the Tosh ones from memory is 8ohms). My lounge is oblong too and yes you can adjust the volume of the rear speakers - what's quite goosd is that the settings can be different for the various sound modes, eg you can have a higher volume in the rears for Prologic Broadcasts than say Dolby Digital 'Stadium' mode and so on.

2. I'd suggest conencting the SKY via the RGB AV1 scart and the DVD via component for the picture and digital optical for the sound - my DVD doesn't have component out so I've got it on an RGB splitter sharing AV1 but the 210 does I believe.

Leads wise, my scarts are from the Home Cinema range at www.lektropacks.co.uk and are excellent without spending abosolutely barmy money (about £15 - £20 each I think). My optical lead cost £17 from Currys 'cos I wanted one quick and from what I've read, unlike scart leads there's no real diference in quality in opticals.

Hope this helps, feel free if any other questions, otherwise worth checking back on my original epic which still seems to be getting loads of posts!

Cheers
    OG

4. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OG - thanks for thourough reply - very helpful.

I've reserved the tv and tosh DVD from John Lewis - waiting for them to get back to me and hopefully pricematch QED. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on it. Took the bride to see it in Currys the other night and even she liked it!

Don't want to be a pain but.....

Do you use the speakers (external) that came with the TV and if so have you tried the front pair in the cabinet - what do they sound like there? I don't really want them either the side of the TV (need to buy stands and would detract from the look of the TV I think) so only other place would be on the walls, in the corners of the room - not sure how they would sound there given the shape of the room. Definately don't wont to buy an Amp and more speakers as well this month!

Not sure what to do about the Tosh DVD either. Thinking of spending an extra £20 and buying a region free one from Richer Sounds - although I know this doesn't get over the RCE problem which will become a bigger problem soon, when it is more widely used to protect disks.

Anyway, thanks again for starting the original thread (I think) and responding to my post (thought it might get overlooked if i posted it to the original epic!). Eh, you should contact Tosh and ask for commission on all the extra TV sets they have sold as a result of your postings.

Later
    Vectraone

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vectraone, I have my speakers located on the top shelf of the Stand and they sound pretty good to me, should add though that I am not a audiophile.

Regarding DVD I can certainly recommend Tosh 210 it has component video output and works superbly with the 36ZP18P, I got mine (multi region) from Techtronics for £210.00 and I condider it a bargain at that price.

Regards
    Barrie

6. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Barrie - feeling better about the speakers/sound now.

How useful do you find the dvd being able to play multi region? - where do you buy your dvds from? - are they cheaper/better? (I know they get released earlier in other regions and are not censored as much - but other benefits?). What about RCE protection - does the Techtronics chip enable the Tosh to play these?

Still unsure what to do.

Advice helps sanity (& may save marriage!)

Cheers

Vectra

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi vectrone, I get most of my DVDs from play247 I find them very reasonably priced and very reliable, have yet to come across any problem with RCE. I have read many threads regarding this Player and it seems all you have to do if there is a problem disc is to insert a Region 1 dvd that is not RCE protected into the player until the menu appears and then remove it and put the problem disc in and it will play.

If you put this question to the DVD forum I am sure you will get a more authoratve answer
    from the many experts there. The only disc I have that was apparently RCE protected was Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon but this played with no problem whatsoever.

Regards
    Barrie

8. Dave P

Dave P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The only thing I suggest you do different from the original response is to connect the DVD to the TV or amp via the digital coax connection.
    Theory is that coax keeps the signal electrical and therefore avoids unecessary signal changes and consequently signal loss, unlike optical which obviously changes it from electrical to optical and back again.
    In practice results vary, so try both.
    All the best.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vectra good luck with it - sure you won't regret it.

Like Barrie, I do use the supplied speakers. I've tried the front L & R on the top shelf, on the bottom shelf lay on their side and at the moment I have them on the floor either side of the cabinet this seems to spread the sound a bit wider but all ways sound good to me (admitedly like Barrie I'm no sound expert). The speakers are only small so they're not very intrusive.

I've not had time to put the rear speakers on the wall yet so temporarily I've got them lay on their backs facing upwards - this is a tip on the Dolby website - again they sound great although I'm sure they'll be better when I've got them set up better.

Let us know how you get on with the DVD player - I'm thinking of buying a modified SD110 or 210 from Techtronics but not decided yet. I didn't own a DVD up unitl a few months ago when I bought the (don't laugh) Alba 103 on a whim because a friend had one and it seemed to play everything, multi region etc etc, since then I've noticed that it gets a good review in HCC. But now I've got the taste for something a bit better without going over the top and I'd like to use the component input.

I've got loads of DVDs (mainly R1 from AB Sound) a fair few are kids ones but kids of all ages can enjoy the likes of Dinosaur, which incidenly I've not watched right through because my R1 disk freezes on the last scene (thanks Alba).

Cheers
    OG

10. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OG and Barrie: When you mounted the ext. front speakers on the top shelf did you have them upright or lying on their sides.
    I tried them upright and its a tight squeeze..would removing the rear brackets make any difference.
    I don't know about you but according to various publications the front speakers should be roughly in line with the centre speaker.
    Maybe in a ideal world and the correct room size and shape would help but unfortunately have this monster in the corner and space is limited.
    On a differnt note, when I received this TV yesterday the delivery guy said "got a huge TV for you....weighs a ton" He wasn't joking..nearly done my back in. Not for the feeble or weaklings in society today. This a MAN's TV. :cool:

11. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me again but forgot to ask. With the speakers on the top shelf upright, did they stick out a bit....don't think enough room to have them flush with the glass shelf.
    Don't fancy that way so lying down on their sides seem to be the way or sitting on the floor....but that seems too far down from the centre speaker.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reddevil - I found that by removing the rear brackets they just about fit fairly flush standing up right.

You're not wrong about the weight.

I think I prefer them on either side of the TV so might buy some stands but the jury's still out. The shelves are a handy place to put them to keep them out of the way.

OG

13. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis just confirmed TV delivery next Saturday hoorah. Just ordered the Tosh 210 from Techtronics as well with mod plus - hope it makes it in time for next Saturday.

I want to get some decent cables from Lektropacks (thanks for the tip OG, nice site).
    I assume that for the DVD to TV using component outs, I need a 3 phono to 3 phono lead. What about the audio? The DVD has digital optical and digital coaxial out but has the TV got both of these as inputs?

If the TV just has an optical input, what is the lead called? Is it a Toslink?

OG, is delivery free from Lektropack and how long did it take? - can't find that info on the website.

Cheers

Vectra

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vectra, welcome to the "club" I am sure you are in for a treat with both your buys.
    The Tv has both optical and coaxial inputs so the choice is yours, however coaxial is apparently better, I have tried both and could not tell the difference (must be getting old). The DVD from Techtronics will come with a set of leads that you can use for the Component video output until you get a better set.

Have you thought of asking Techtronics to supply either your Coaxial lead or Optical lead (your right the optical is sometimes known as a Toslink) with the DVD, I seem to remember somebody posting a good report on their leads in another thread although they were a bit pricey.

Regards
    Barrie

15. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well finally got this beast up and running and I am totally impressed. Sounds and looks better than my previous Tosh 32MW7DB.
    Hooked up my DVD to the set with component video cables and WOW! Picture is perfect!
    Watching Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition is just unbelievable compared to my old set that I thought was good until tonight.
    Looks like I will be watching all DVD's seen already just to see how more good this gets!!
    Ok the geometry is slightly off but not looking at that when you got 36" of quality picture to gaze at. :D

16. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree with you there reddevil.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vectra

They do charge for delivery, but it's not much. I think it's something like £10 for next day and less if you want to wait a couple of days. If you go through the order it will show you exactly how much before you put in your card details.

Let me know how you get on with the DVD player (here or og999@hotmail.com) if it does play everything then I'm probably going to go for it too.

Barrie - have you got experience of it on R1 disks. My exisitng one plays everything so far region wise but it sticks or blocks on a few titles - probably just because it's a cheap player.

Cheers
    OG

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi OG, I have only a few R1s and they all play OK, Techtronics send details with the DVD if you get RCE problems and as I have said before it is just a case of putting a Non RCE disc in up to menu removing it and then putting in the problem disc and it is supposed tp play OK.

I had read in another thread that on Big Teles R1 discs were not as sharp as R2 but I have to say I can see no difference, it may be that some people are a lot more critical than me regarding acceptable pictures etc.

Regards
    Barrie

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought i would post to let you know i phoned QED about an engineer [Geometry] got back straight away, coming on tuesday.
    I am hoping he can sort dark patches out also, its only slight but noticeable on bright scenes and animated movies. If this is sorted ok i will be much happier.
    :D

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my cheap ALba region 1 quality is absolutely superb with the big Tosh just that it can;t handle playing soem bits on the disks such as the final chapter on Dinosaur.

Just about to order the modified Tosh 210 from Techtronics - thanks for feedback again.

Cheers
    OG

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to spend a night playing with set ignored faults and just watched movies, all R1 discs were impressive. My Sky [amstrad] box threw a wobbler so i couldnt watch much satelite tv. I cannot say at moment if i will change set or not, all other 36 inchers have or seem to have various problems of their own. I would hate to change it without giving it a fair chance, only to get another tv which was worse. Its going to be a tough decision if no improvements are made.

23. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'll see what happens Martian. If nothing can be done are you going to swap the tv?