1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 36ZP18P number two!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by DavidCook, Feb 23, 2002.

1. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Received said set from Powerhouse last Mon. Set it up ,after some good advice on forum. Very pleased pin sharp picture,excellent audio. Problem however in that the case had two cracks which eagle eyed wife spotted.When you are paying almost £2000 for a TV you want it to be right. Contacted Powerhouse. No problem no questions asked swapped it within two days. The new set, on opening the box, had a lot more paperwork, manuals in different languages,circuit diagrams etc. Makes me think the original had been out before and returned by someone or a store demo set.(didn't know what to expect first time).
    The second set. I cannot get the picture anywhere near as pin sharp as the first. It's still good and if I hadn't had the other I probably would't have noticed but the images are soft around the edges. Do sets need to wear in? Or maybe the satellite reception isn't as good as it was last week, is that possible? Eveything else in the set up is the same.
    Is there a lesson to be learnt?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Have you tried adjusting the sharpness in the menu, personally I prefer a softer image and have it set to -40. At the default zero or higher the actors all look haggard and older!

Maybe your second set is from the newer stock intended for a wider market, mine only came with instructions in english etc. last year. The current set is I understand a more widely sold model whereas the earlier sets were country specific. IE a number of people were complaining last year that their cheap deal sets had no surround speakers in the box. It turned out these were grey imports to a lower spec.

My first delivered set was completely smashed in the box, the packing was quite thin and the construction of the tv case had not survived a drop or knock of some form that had not marked the packing case. That set had come straight from the factory so I know it hadn't been in store etc.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the serial on the reverse of the tv. If it is 36ZP18P (B) then you have the British model. If it is 36ZP18P (G) then you have the european model. If it is 36ZP18Q, you have the new revision (unlikely, but you never know)

4. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The model is a (G) So that will be the reason for all of the additional manuals. I'm not sure what the first was but it sounds like it was a (B) from what you say. With regard to the Sharpness in the menu I have tried the full range but still can't get it as sharp as the previous set. I have found that natural scan is slightly better than 100Hz for getting rid of the grain.

5. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DavidCook,

You may find that natural scan seems to 'tear' or 'smear' fast moving images. This is because natural scan mode displays lines from the previous frame in order to 'smooth' out the picture. It leads to image tearing when one frame has changed to much from the first.

6. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I do get a slight smearing as you describe but the 'payoff' ie clarity of image between the two scan types, is a much crisper image in natural scan on this set. Thanks for the info.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I find the two 'scan' modes are best used according to the program material being transmitted. I generally use Natural scan but it isn't always my prefered option (differnce between film and video?).