Tosh 36ZP18P - Jerky screen on ITV 1 from Sky Digital

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Matt M, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Matt M

Matt M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I realise this is old news but.................

Did anybody manage to find a solution for the problem above?

It is highly annoying and happens on my set every time the adverts come on.

It is 'cured' by switching the set off and back on but surely I should not have to do this each time?

I have no problems with any other Sky Digital channels (incl ITV 2)

It is not a Sky Digital problem because all is fine with my old Sony set.

Despite this and everything else that has been said on this forum, I still think the Tosh is an excellent piece of kit.

Thanks for any help!

2. jase the space

jase the space
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had a quick look back at the olf ZP18 thread and I can now see some similarity with the problem I had with my American Pie DVD.

When you say "jerky screen" do you mean that motion is very jerky? The old thread talks about dropped frames rather than jerkiness.

The problem I had was that when I switched to a new AV input (you would do this on Sky!) soemtimes the TV would go into a "funny" scan mode where big pans (i.e. Chapter 2 of AP DVD) were very jerky. Going into menu and changing scan mode (from anything to anything) fixxed this 90% of the time and for other times doing another scan mode change fixed it. If you changed channel then back to the same AV input, the "funny" mode would be back.

I think someone mentioned in the old thread that they thought changing the scan mode fixed it. To me this sounds very similar to the problem I had (see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30550&perpage=15&highlight=zp18 itv&pagenumber=9 for more details).

Delius was looking into this for me and said he thought he knew what the problem was but I didn't ever get a final resolution. Anyway I had the problem on a late batch 32ZP18P and an early (ish) batch 32ZP18Q.

Have you tried just doing a scan mode change once you enter the AV channel? Try this and see if the jerkiness ever occurs again.

3. Matt M

Matt M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase - Many thanks for your reply.

Sorry about my belated reply.

The actual problem is probably best not referred to as 'jerky screen'. What actually happens is motion blurring. The screen seems to present movement in slower, much more blurry, motion than usual.

Watching fast moving stuff eg footie is impossible. It is also a pain on slower moving stuff and its always necessary to turn the TV onto standby and then back on again.

Sound also seems to be slightly out of synch with pictures.

It only happens following an advert break and is fine until then. It is also fine if I turn over before the ad break starts, switching back following the adverts.

I have tried the scan mode change and this does not seem to help.

I would really appreciate any other suggestions.

Many thanks!

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skys ITV coverage has been very eratic just lately

as an example The New Celeb Jungle program, when they show Ant & Dec the picture is fine, as soon as it cuts to the Jungle the picture is very poor.

yet Sky somehow manages to keep thier own programs distortion free i.e Sky 1== Sky news and all movie channels

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would refer to it as the dropped frame effect. As it appears to jump a frame frequently. Almost as if it is being speeded up and a frame is missing.

IT is peculiar that it only happens on ITV. It happened on mine tonight during the Bill. Luckily, ITV is rarely watched in my household due to the rubbish they generally churn out.

I've seen no outcome or response to explain it.