1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 36zp have a look at your cinema mode

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sparticus, Sep 26, 2005.

1. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi everyone

Ive had this set for a year now and have to say I still think the picture takes some beating. I dont have any reservations about this set but I do have a question. When using "cinema mode" on a dvd widescreen pic the picture washes out. It is only when using the dvd player, but Ive auditioned at least 5 players with same result. Off air pic and freeview - no prob. When I watch a dvd say 2.35:1 in widescreen mode the pic is superb. If I use super live the pic is stretched(as expected), so if I choose cinema mode to lose the black bars the pic will lose contrast, black becomes grey and appears to have an internal reflection. The dvd is connected via component. Im just wondering if they are all the same and if so does anyone know why?

Many thanks

2. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Couldnt someone just stick a dvd in and switch to cinema zoom to see what happens for me please.
    Cheers

3. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you tried changing to a different scan mode; i.e. active, normal, 100Hz, progressive?

Can you set it up to connect via a different SCART link; i.e. not component and see if it makes a difference. Have you tried all the SCART inputs on the TV?

4. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    I have tried it on scart and it works fine, it is only on component. The tv scan mode is inactive in prog comp. Its not a big prob as I usually watch it in wide, I was just wondering if they were all like it.
    Many thanks for your reply

5. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Component video is a bit odd. I was always taught that RGB was component video because they are the most basic components of video (QED), but the term seems to have been hijacked in recent decades to mean this Y-Pb-Pr nonsense. Basically it's one luminance and two chrominance signals. As you can imagine, the possibility of colour and/or luminance problems is more than possible if the signals are reversed. Check you've plugged the right plugs into the right sockets at the rear of the TV. Try a different order.