1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 36ZD26P...HOT OR NOT?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by langas2003, Feb 2, 2003.

1. langas2003

langas2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying the Toshiba 36ZD26P. Has anyone had any experience with this TV? And is it any good? What HiFi gave it 5 stars, but judging by some things I have read people tend not to believe what some magzine reviews say.

2. Gray

Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wooo Langlas, the same question on 4 different threads. You must really want to know about this TV. As they say in Allo Allo, listen carefully, I will say this only once.

I bought the 32 inch version just before Christmas mainly because it was recommended in What Hi Fi as the best 32 inch TV. Since then it has recommended the 36 inch one that you are looking at as the best 36 inch TV.

Mine is an excellent TV and it has none of the problems mentioned in other posts on the forum. Since then i have read everything that mentions the Toshes and it seems that most people do seem to be getting more good ones than bad.

I do not know if they seem to be getting the problems sorted out, but I can say that I do agree with everything that was said in the magasine and i would not want to swap it for any other TV.

I hope that if you do get one it will be as good as mine is. Let us know how you get on

Gray

3. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    I dont own this tv but I should think you will get good pictures with dvds. But I cant say you will get good picture with sky digital that if you got sky digital

4. langas2003

langas2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the feeback guys...posted the question on four threads cos I wanted to know what people though of this set before I splash out 1200 & 70 smacker on it...will let you know how i get on maybe a week or so...still ain't ordered it yet.

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    The reason why I mention about the Sky digital is that it appear sky digital are not sending many good quality programs to us 100 hz tv users or plasma users. As you dont notice the problem on 50hz tvs

6. Gray

Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again

I do not have sky digital so I cannot comment about the transmissions from them. I have an old Ondigital box that I use to get freeview programs and the picture quality is excellent through it.

That is not to say that the normal BBC1, BBC2, ITV etc. are not good, but I prefer to view through the Ondigital box because all the programs are broadcase in widescreen.

I know what you mean about being anxious about spending a load of dosh on a new TV. After reading about the problems other people have had with the TV's in the forum I was certain that there would be SOMETHING wrong when mine arrived, but fingers crossed it seems a cracker.

At least you will know what problems to look for whan you do buy a new one, but hopefully you will get a good one as well.

Cheers, Gray

7. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Gray is right about problems with tvs.

As i am a proud owner of a sony FX66 and you will see on this forum quite a few people having problems like buzzing noise in which I not got and my set seem great so i suppose it a matter of luck these days by the sound of things.

Hey gray hard to believe on digital broadcast bbc and itv good for your tv. Shame you have not got sky to compare unless you have not look closely to screen to see the problems?

8. langas2003

langas2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB Direct have the 36" for £1269.99...I take it thats a good price? The price includes delivery and VAT.

9. Gray

Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yo Rookies

From what I have read on this forum, the picture quality depends on a lot of things, and it seems that, because freeview does not have as many channels as Sky, the pictures are better because of greater bandwidth?

The picture using the ondigital box was ok on my tv, but the picture quallity improved when I connected the box to the RGB scart on the TV instead of an Svideo one. The main difference was that the logos seemed a little steadier, eg. the sky logos did not flicker at all.

I am sure that if yopu do a quick search on the subject someone will be able to tell you more about it than me. I don't know how it works, but it works for me, so I am a happy chap. :)

10. langas2003

langas2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Again,

I took delivery of my new Tosh yesterday morning (at f**kin 7am!)
    I think I must have got one of the worst ones! Where should I begin...
    - The shadows on the left and right of the screen are quite
    noticable.
    - The black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when watching a 2.35:1 film both bow inwards.
    - I get flaring on light images moving over a dark background.
    - Jagged edges when watching some films in 100hz. (but I think that this might have just been my crappy copy of MIB 2)
    and by far the worst problem...
    - The picture became distorted whilst watching a terrestrial broadcast and a high pitch sound came from the back of the set!
    I have contacted Toshiba who confirmed that the set is faulty and told me to contact the dealer, who are now arranging a replacement with Toshiba..could be waiting three weeks though!

Anyways let me know what you think.:(

11. fdpxfunix

fdpxfunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unlucky mate

I've had my 36ZD26P for 4 weeks. I've got ...

a) the shadow problem
    b) the black bar problem (though I can live with this)
    c) jagged edges (almost gone by setting the sharpness no higher than +25)

I've had long converstations with my dealer and Toshiba over the shadow issue.

My dealer sent an engineer (as Toshiba consider the problem normal) to check the shadows out. The engineer said it was normal. In his words...

"for the money you paid for the TV (£1249) you should put up with it. You may go for a Philips or a Sony, but they'll all have litle problems too. All Toshiba and Hitachi TV's over 28 inches have this shadow problem, it's the shadow mask at the rear of the screen that you can see " !

My dealer is now writting to Toshiba to get some sense out of them, but in the mean time I've contacted them again.

Spoke via e-mail to Customer Care who in turn spoke with Toshiba Technical UK. They again confirmed the shadows are normal on this set. Below is the reply I got, which I'm far from happy with...

"On these flat face screen TVs the internal face of the screen is curved which means that the glass is thicker at the sides. Sometimes internal reflections are set up in the thicker part which results in darker bands down the sides of the screen. This should not be noticeable most of the time but show up on plain backgrounds. From the description of the problem and the comments of (Toshiba Technical employee name DELETED) it sounds as though this is what you are seeing.

We are not able to diagnose faults by e-mail and telephone and, as we are not able to see the screen, we would tend to err on the side of caution and suggest that an engineer should check out the TV. We are not able to dispute the findings of an engineer who has seen the set at first hand.

In this case I am not able to suggest anything more that can be done as, according to both the engineer and Toshiba Technical department, this is normal for your TV. You need to discuss other alternatives with your retailer."

... this is now a different reason for the shadow from what the engineer said :( and they've basically said 'sorry talk to the shop'.

I love the way Tosh looks, DVD performance via RGB using a good cable from my Wharfedale 750 is excellent and it fits in my bay window too :) but when football's on ... the shadow spoils things.

To ditch or not ditch that is my question.

J.

12. Gray

Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Sorry to hear about the problems you two are having. I guess I must have just been lucky with mine as I have never seen the shadow effect on my T.V. and even when I try I cannot make them appear.

As regards the jaggies I have my T.V. sharpness set at -10. I read about this in a post from Bilboo (top man) and he said to set the sharpness at about -10 for the best effect.

When watching football I have the 100 active mode on while some people seem to like the progressive mode. I do not like the straight 100 mode for anything.

Like I say though, it may just be that I lucked out and got a good one. I hope you both get the problems sorted out anyway.

Gray