1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 36ZD26P ... again

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by fdpxfunix, Feb 19, 2003.

1. fdpxfunix

fdpxfunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post on this BBS, so hello to eveyone. Apologies if this has been talked about to death.

I've just spent a few hours looking at post that contain the wording '36ZD26P' for an answer to my problem.

I've got the shadow problem on the left, right and centre of the screen on my 4 week old 36ZD26P.

From what I've read in various posts there is no fix for it, and even a Toshiba engineer has now confirmed it's a 'feature' and well within Toshiba's limits.

Live football seems to show the shadow the most, but any plain colour shows it clearly too.

Because I know the shadows are there, I'm now looking for them every time I watch TV instead of enjoying the picture.

My question is simple. I paid £1300 for this set, which I condsider a lot of money. Should I ...

a) send the TV back and get a re-fund?
    b) go for another make?
    c) put up with it as another make may have other problems?

Thanks

J.

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the forums :)

I have the same TV and seem to have been lucky in ending up with a good one. Maybe it's worth risking one swap out to see if the next one you get is any better? Has to be worth a try?

At the prices we've paid (c.£1500) all manufacturers will admit their TVs will have problems as they're very much engineered down to that price point, in order to sell in reasonable numbers.

That means that whilst you can get a TV that doesn't 'feature' Toshiba's dirty patches, you might well end up with another 'feature' that's equally, if not more, annoying.

There are a good few people on the forums who have got a decent 36ZD26P and when they are good, people rave about them, myself included.

I reckon you should try an exchange and then if nothing's improved, consider other options. One question, do you intend using the progressive scan input from a DVD player? If not, you do have several alternatives.

Hope this helps.

3. fdpxfunix

fdpxfunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juboy

Thanks for the comments.

I think getting a replacemnet set might be like getting blood out of a stone. My dealer see's the problem as Toshiba's and not his.

In all fairness my dealer as been very very good, but I've not tried the 'heavy handed' approach yet. If he's not got anyway with Toshiba in a week then I'll ask for a replacement.

I did not buy the set because of the component input, but as they exist ... it's a good excuse to upgrade my Wharfdale 750 to something a bit more interesting.

The performance of my mates 32ZD26 and the fact my Mr's liked the cabinet are the main reasons for buying. I was almost sold on the 36" Philips P+ TV, but the Tosh has a Plasma/RearPro type look to it and you can hide your AV kit away easily. It's also not very deep, so it fits it my bay window.

What TV would you suggest if I send the Tosh back? I don't have SKY or cable but want good DVD pictures and reasonable analouge.

J.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as you get a half decent progressive scan DVD player (I'd suggest the Toshiba 520 or the new Harmon Kardon NTSC prog scan player as a cracking but affordable options) with which to exploit your TVs component/prog scan in potential, I personally don't think there's anything to touch the xxZD26P TVs picture. Even if you did prefer the Pannys or Loewe's, you'd be looking at adding £800 to £1000 on top of your exchange... and that sort of money would buy you a VERY nice DVD player :)