tosh 36" tv with wavy lines whilst watching sky!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by fisherA, Dec 7, 2002.

1. fisherA

fisherA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you help me with a query! i have recently purchased a toshiba 36zp18q (36" widescreen tv), wow what a set, good picture, good size and very good sound, although there was just one problem whilst i was watching sky i was getting wavy lines going from the bottom lefthand corner to the top right hand corner (using scart). I spoke to a so called expert and he said to adjust the rf on the digibox! "i did this going through all the settings and there was no change! i then rang sky and they said to check all the scart leads etc (like you dont do that first) then we went through the rf settings again , guess what no joy . After this they said change the pal setting on the digibox to rgb "great it fixed the problem" but they said i might have a problem with my tv as you shouldnt have to do this. So my questions are- what are the main differences between pal and rgb, and does this mean i have a problem with my set because the sky box looks better when set to rgb output.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I have never seen wavy lines while viewing a picture sent via scart that was the result of that method of connection, however it is possible for some RF channel leakage to effect an AV picture.
    Some older TV's have problems with RGB, mostly shifting the picture to the left but that's a TV design flaw which can be overcome by fiddling with the overscan settings.
    Where ever possible though you should use a RGB scart connection as it's the cleanest possible signal a digibox can send out and requires no conversion by the TV to form a picture. A PAL setting on the digibox means the signal the TV receives has to be converted to RGB within the TV so the electron guns know when to fire, pure RGB bypasses that conversion alltogether.

3. fisherA

fisherA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi starburst,
    thanks for the reply , you said that an rgb scart connection was the cleanest form, so having a scart connection with a pal setting is weaker than a scart with the sky box set at rgb? and if this is correct then the setup i have is fine?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes the PAL output is slightly inferior (I use PAL because it suits my TV which has the picture shift problem, although the picture is much sharper under RGB).
    So if you aren't seeing any problems with the RGB connection by all means smile and be happy:)