Tosh 36" pf3 Happy owner needs advice

sparticus

Novice Member
Hi
I have owned this set for 2 yrs and am still a happy owner. I have had to adjust the geometry once or twice but its been no problem really.
What I would really like to know is why the picture gets banding and washes out in some scenes in any of the zoom modes via dvd. I have the dvd player hooked up via component and in wide mode the picture is superb. It has always done the same thing with all of the different dvd players I have owned. If I zoom a freeview scart pic it works fine, if I use the dvd zoom - fine, but if I try to zoom a widescreen pic by using tv cinema mode the picture gets faded stripes which can sometimes cover about a third of the tube. Its almost like some sort of internal reflection. I would be grateful if anyone has a theory on this as it may be adjustable via height width etc. I would guess its some sort of component issue? Many thanks in advance.

sparticus

Novice Member
OK I accept its not as interesting as "should I buy the nagasaki noview with a 66 year warranty"?

Does any one else find a loss of contrast when switching to cinema mode? There must be hundreds of tosh owners on here and it might give me a clue as to what I can adjust.

cheers

guvvie

I have a picture frame 2 that i have owned for about 18 months, with a pioneer 575 hooked up via component. When switching to different TV modes whilst watching a DVD the colours and the brightness do not change at all. Hope this helps.

sparticus

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. At least I know that it is maybe just my set and possibly I can adjust something. I notice I can get rid of it depending on which way I shift the picture in the service menu but it only works for a scene at a time. It is only recently I decided to use this feature. Maybe I can email tosh.
cheers

sparticus

Novice Member
Managed to sort my problem over last few days. It was just the width adjustment in cinema mode. Had to narrow the picture slightly till stripes dissappeared then set the height for correct geometry. When I played with the width I could clearly see some sort of internal tube reflection and I would love to know why this is if anyone can explain it to me. Any way all sorted now on all of the modes. Also while doing this I have been playing with the different picture modes. When I had the set I read an article that pic mode 3 had svm off and that was the best mode to edit. Since then I havent really tried to calibrate any of the other modes till recently. Mode1 does have svm on but when set up with dve was much sharper than mode3.

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom